main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Morning person--response to the Qui-Gon challenge--Vignette 40

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    He hadn't felt this rotten in a very long time. The morning light that slanted lazily through the curtains stabbed mercilessly at his aching eyes and clawed at his nerve endings so that his head throbbed. His mouth felt like it was filled with several layers of caten that had been saturated with stinksyrup.

And worst of all, there was an unnaturally cheerful person insisting that he should be fully alert at this time of morning.

He might have been able to forgive that if it had been Obi-Wan. After all, there were so many things that could be easily attributed to the follies of youth and Obi-Wan was at least patient with his Master's relative old age.

Besides, Obi-Wan would never be so heartless as to expect him to be conscious before daybreak. Obi-Wan would awaken at 0400 and then meditate or study until a more decent hour.
    His current partner on this mission had no such sense of decency. After all, she was a politician and they tended to have questionable morals under the best of circumstances.

Any Jedi would have been able to tell her that this unholy, Sithspawned hour was not the best of circumstances for anyone. She did not seem to mind, since she was not only fully alert, but singing a jaunty little tune.

This seemed to be the confirming factor in his hypothesis that she was fully insane, but also served to reinforce the fact that he would not be able to leave her unattended. After all, he was supposed to be her protector and confidant on this negotiating mission and it would be unfair of him to let her do the work while he lazed about in his comfortable bed.

Stumbling to his feet, he stumped towards the door with all the grace of a crippled rancor and threw open the old-fashionedly hinged door.

"What in the name of the Sith is so blasted important at this time of morning?"

Senator Noela Ovorp looked up with her usual bright-eyed expression of anticipation. "Qui-Gon," she greeted, "I thought you'd never get up."

It was evident that she'd had time to give this some thought while making her self perfectly presentable and applying rather unnecessary makeup. Even her dress was ironed.

The woman was either unnatural or certifiably insane.

"It is four o'clock in the morning," he grumbled, shuffling towards the nearest source of stimulating substances. "Of course I was never going to get up this early."

"But certainly, you want to get a headstart on the day," she suggested, taking a long sip of whatever was in her mug. "And you remember that I asked us to..."

"I know," he interrupted, glaring at the contents of the cupboard. "No caf?"

"It's bad for your health," Noela reasoned, "so I just finished off the last of it."

At that very moment, he became suddenly and credibly aware of the possibility that she was not his oldest friend but a manifestation of the Force, trying to see just how far he could be pushed before turning to the Dark Side.

At the moment, it seemed as though he wouldn't need much more effort on anyone's part. He might even go voluntarily if the Dark Side had a cup of caf and reasonable alarm chronos.

"All right," he said with feigned patience that she didn't seem to mind at all. "I would like to address whatever concern you have."

"I appreciate it," Noela said earnestly, smiling. "It's something rather important to the mission."

"Yes?" he said, his interest suddenly piqued--if it were urgent, sleep could certainly wait. "What is it that is troubling you?"

She looked immensely relieved. "I've been noticing something as of late and it concerned me," she confessed.

He could think of nothing that would merit that, but was certainly willing to hear her out. Right before he went back to bed.

"What is it?" he pressed gently.

"Qui-Gon..."

She hesitated as if expecting him to lash out, then squared her shoulders and looked him in his bloodshot eyes.

"You seem tired," she explained. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Cute response to the Qui-Gon challenge. And darn fast too. I could just picture him being grumpy that early in the morning, especially with someone singing a jaunty little tune.

Good job.

I've put the link in the challenge thread. :D

3. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I suppose he is glad it isn't Mere with whatever instrument of the day it would be.

4 am is rather unnatural.

Cute Vig Ish!

4. delta-7starfighter

delta-7starfighter Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Well, no, he isn't much of a morning person is he?:D

At that very moment, he became suddenly and credibly aware of the possibility that she was not his oldest friend but a manifestation of the Force, trying to see just how far he could be pushed before turning to the Dark Side.

[face_laugh]

This was really good! I liked how you wrote Qui-Gon's character![face_peace]

5. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006

OH Ish that was priceless. I am not a morning person at all and married to someone that is, I feel like this all the time. On the other hand never wake him up from a nap and you just might think he has turned to the darkside. :)

I have a hard time imagining anyone being so cheerful at that time of the morning.

6. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    [face_laugh] The whole thing is just too funny.

"Stumbling to his feet, he stumped towards the door with all the grace of a crippled rancor . . ." That's a purrrfect line of description!

7. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    At the moment, it seemed as though he wouldn't need much more effort on anyone's part. He might even go voluntarily if the Dark Side had a cup of caf and reasonable alarm chronos.

LOL!!!! Thats great. Join the Darkside, we have COOKIES!

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    dianethx--Thanks, Diane. :) I think I actually posted 6 hours before you lot got around to putting up the challenge Layren told me about. Glad it came out as not-completely-off-base. I personally can handle most hours of the day as long as someone's not being cheerful about it. And thanks for linking it.

Noelie--LOL, actually, when I went on my first tour, to Taiwan, I had to learn 27 pieces perfectly by memory in 3 weeks. As a result, I was probably the only 9-year-old in the town of Weston, MA who was up at 4 a.m. learning the Largo from Xerxes. I'd then go upstairs at 7 and wake up my brother and sisters with one of the more fun pieces. They hated it. It's very unnatural. Thanks!

delta-7starfighter--In my opinion, no. :) LOL, I like that, too. Glad you liked my interpretation of Qui-Gon!

Araxie--LOL, thanks, birthday girl! I am so like Qui-Gon in this sense as I explained above. If you have a hard time imagining 4 a.m. cheerfulness, NEVER ever go on tour with the Lexington Christian Academy Chorale. I was in it for two years and our chaperone, Irene, would literally throw us out of our sleeping bags around 3 a.m. every morning so we'd be able to get to our next concert. She enjoyed it far too much.

Ara-gon--LOL, thanks. The crippled rancor line is mostly an accurate description of me rather than anything else.

Lady_Snow_Kaguya--Yes! The Dark Side has cookies and frappuccinos and might let him be really angry at Noela at this point.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was quite cute, Ish! Hmm, it would make sense to... wait. What's Noela doing there?

10. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I was hoping that this vig would include Noela.

Ha ha!

"Qui-Gon..."

She hesitated as if expecting him to lash out, then squared her shoulders and looked him in his bloodshot eyes.

Loved the ending! Poor Qui-Gon. :p

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    RK_Striker_JK_5--Thanks. It would make sense to what? LOL! Yeah, they're on a mission and you made me crack up!

princess_of_naboo--I couldn't resist this, since for once, she seemed to be the cause of his problems rather than the other way around. Glad you liked the bit about the manifestation of the Force. That's based on a personal theory of mine about why friends are sometimes pains in the butt! I liked the ending as well--it was great fun.

12. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    Oh poor Qui. I don't blame him for being slightly grumpy. 4 in the morning is not a time to be up. But it was sweet to see his interaction with Noela and her concern for his well being. Thank you for a wonderful little vig, and the continued growth of the Qui-Gon/Noela friendship.

Cheers,
    Wyo

13. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh][face_laugh] [face_laugh]

"It's bad for your health," Noela reasoned, "so I just finished off the last of it."

I gotta admire Qui-Gon's resolve. No caf would have me over to the dark side in a heartbeat!

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Wake a grumpy lump up early and then ask them why they are tired? Ooooooh, there's an annoyingly cheerful woman who just doesn't quite get it.[face_worried] :)

15. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

It was evident that she'd had time to give this some thought while making her self perfectly presentable and applying rather unnecessary makeup. Even her dress was ironed.

The woman was either unnatural or certifiably insane.

"It is four o'clock in the morning," he grumbled, shuffling towards the nearest source of stimulating substances. "Of course I was never going to get up this early."

I absolutely cannot stand people are cheerful early in the morning :p My mom is one of those who gets up at 5:30 all perky no matter what the situation is. LOL poor Qui :D

16. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    [face_laugh]

What a a fun read...not being a morning person myself I can fully relate to Qui!

Well done! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.