main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mortal Kombat - Shaolin Monks (Disscusion Thread)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarkSithDrew, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    The next game in the Moral Kombat franchise.

ShaolinMonks

2. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    Has Mortal Kombat died [face_tired]

3. Sev-07

Sev-07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    i want Cyrax and sektor back....

they need another fighter...2-d style.

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...eh, to be honest, the last time i payed attention to Mortal Kombat was back when "Mortal Kombat II" was the big Arcade game..

5. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Here's a wild and crazy idea. How about giving the game a chance. Maybe it might suck and hey maybe it might be pretty good.

6. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    Yah

Although I have doubts about this game unfortunatly compared to the other MK's.
    But I hope its great.

7. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, I think the franchise has steadily gotten better with Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat: Deception, so I hope that Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks will be good, too. From what I know, it's an expanded version of Mortal Kombat II.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ed Boon himself is personally working on this, I think. He doesn't want it to be another bomb like Mythologies and Special Forces, so they're putting a lot of effort into it.

The game takes place around the period of the most popular Mortal Kombat game--MK 2.

And, yeah, Mortal Kombat sort of went down hill with MK 3. And MK 4 was retarded.

But if you haven't tried the latest two installments, you're really missing out. MK 5: Deadly Alliance, is nothing short of badass. The creators and writers really got their stuff together for this one.

And MK 6: Deception is virtually an epic in the fighting game genre. Not only does it have one of the sweetest opening scenes I've ever seen in a video game (just shy of Blizzard's work for the Warcraft games), but there's so much to do in in that game that it truly raises the bar for the entire genre.

However, I have to say that the gameplay in Shaolin Monks looks retarded. Nevertheless, being an MK fan since the original arcade, I'll be checking it out.

I'm mostly waiting for MK 7, though.

9. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    But if you haven't tried the latest two installments, you're really missing out. MK 5: Deadly Alliance, is nothing short of badass. The creators and writers really got their stuff together for this one.

yeah, lets kill off everyones favorite character. That'll make the game better :rolleyes:

10. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Oh, i wasn't trying to diss the game with my comments. Mortal Kombat is just a series that i dont' even consider trying, anymore. It may be good, it may not be good, i just don't care. Ever since Fighting games went into 3D, i just haven't found them anywhere near as compelling as their 2D counterparts.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    The most popular MK character is Scorpion. And he was dead from the beginning.

And although Raiden and Liu might be dead, they are still playable.

And although Shao Khan and Goro both died, they are also both playable in the GC version of MK 6.

12. GrandAdmiralPaul

GrandAdmiralPaul Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    [face_laugh] thats what made deadly alliance awesome! Shang Tsung snapped Lui Kang's neck like a chicken bone! [face_laugh] [face_chicken] :eek: [face_laugh] no one wanted to play against me in MKDA, they were all afraid to get humiliated.. but hey, Kang does have a part in one of the alternate endings, apparently when Shang Tsung dies, Kang's soul jumps into Kano and takes over his body.

the only thing cooler than MK is SW.

13. Dart-Dragon

Dart-Dragon Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 2005

WHAT I HATED ABOUT DEADLY ALIANCE WAS THAT SCORPION GOT THROWN IN TO THAT
    GREEN LIGHT AND GOT HIS (SOUL?) RIPPED TO PICES...ALSO, WHY DID THEY HAVE
    TO CHANGE REPTILE`s APPERANC!? He was my 2favorit character...AND WHAT HAPPENED
    TO SMOKE!?...I DID`NT LIKE THE FACT THAT SUB-ZERO`s APPRENTIS DIED EITHER...
    ...But...Yeah...It was a good game...I havent heard about DESEPTION...Any good?

14. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    A Demo was included with the latest Official Xbox Magazine

And I played it.

AWESOME MOVES!!!

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Was anyone else's mind blown away when they found out that Noob Saibot is the original Sub-Zero from MKI?

16. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah. That was pretty cool. I hate having to wait for Mortal Kombat 7, though. Since there were I think 26 characters in Mortal Kombat Deception there are so many endings. Which are canon? Which aren't? I just want to know what really happened.

17. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    My husband and I picked up the demo disk last night.

All I can say is that we both consider it a must-get game. Definitely a good stress reliever after a long day at work. Anyway, my husband's a HUGE MK fan and he absolutely loved the demo.

While I can see where fight game purist might raise their nose to this game, it was cool how we could co-play the game. (Or, at least the part of the game that was on the demo disk.) Also, it seems as if they've made Fatalities easer to do (at least for Fatality-challenged game players like myself) if they keep the final game basically like the demo.

18. Dart-Dragon

Aug 6, 2005

Maulfly Do you mean its possible to play throug the game with a friend? like 2on1 or
    2on2?...That would be awesome!...The first game I ever finishd was mortal combat 1 for
    Super Nintendo!so the mortal combat games have a place in my heart...I remember trying
    furiosly to brake the red diamond thing...I never made it,the only thing I got frome that experience was blisters on my thumb!...And the great satisfaction of beating Goro
    and that old guy Tsang-Sung...Did I get the name right? its been years since I`ve played a Mortal Combat game...I borrowed the Deadly Aliance to a cousine of mine...
    Is it true that I could have obtained Reptile as a secret character for mortal Combat1
    If I had managed to brake that stupid diamond?

19. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    No, Reptile was only a secret person you could fight. You could only play as him after going through a really weird process involving two controllers. I don't really know what you had to do.

20. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Was anyone else's mind blown away that Noob Saibot is Tobias Boon spelled backwards?

EDIT:eek:h, and yeah MK is always good. Mindless blood and gore. It practically sells itself.

21. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Assuming that the demo is very representative of the final game, then yes, it's set up so that two players can play at the same time. I don't know if this is just a story mode and they also have the regular one-on-one fight mode or if this is the game itself (that disk is the first contact I've had at all about the new game).

22. Dart-Dragon

Aug 6, 2005

HEHE...Yeah I loved to finish of my oponents by giving them a powerful upercut and sending them off the bridge to get inpaled on the spikes belov!...I also enjoyed some of the cool finishing fatalities you could pull of!...Aaahh!good times,good times...
    I espesially liked the way they made Deadly Aliance! Showing us how the game had evolved and giving the song Imortal by Echidna(probably spelled that wrong) with a cool movie with my favorit character Scorpion...Is he dead now!? And lots of other things I whount bother writting down...DA is the most resent Mortal Combat I`ve played have they kept on making improvements to this game? And if so like what?

Maulfly,that sounds promising but I`m starting to wonder if this is going to be a 2 player only game...I hope it wount be horrible because of it...But a 2player ending sounds impresive(If they make it like this) it would take days to compleate all the doble combination endigs not to mention the singel player endings...It does have a singel player option,right?...All in all I hope its a great game...And that it comes to
    Norway.

23. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Couldn't say, at this point.

Any idea if there have been any early reviews of the game yet? The fact that they have a demo out makes me think it's probably close to completion.

For that matter, when's the expected release date of the game?

Edit:
    *does a little google search*

Ahhh...so it IS supposed to just be a brawl-style adventure game. Cool. Definitely reminded me of some other arcade games I had played in the past, the feel of it, anyway.

It might be a safe bet that only up to two players can play at a time. You definitely can interact with the environment, including throwing opponents through weak spots in the wall, pick up weapons (from rocks to swords), and toss baddies onto spikes below (or even hanging from the ceiling).

This is definitely a gory game, just looking at the demo. From the fatalities to the cut scenes. In a fight at the end of the demo with Baraka(?), once you beat him up enough, he jumps away and grabs a couple of captive Monks. What does he do with them? He sets them on fire (alive) and tosses them at you. They then proceed to run around, screaming, and on fire in the fight area...damaging you everytime they run into you. You have to kill them to stop them. Some pretty cool looking special moves, too. (Which the controls are pretty user friendly, even for those that don't normally play much of the one-on-one fighting games...or do and tend to get their butt kicked by hardcore figher gamers.)

24. Ogmios22188

Oct 12, 2004
    Yes, this game is an adventure game, like Mythologies: Sub-Zero and Special Forces. Only - hopefully - this game will actually be good. And no, Scorpion is not "dead". He's already a dead character, but he's not completely gone. He played an important role in Deception, and we'll likely see him in the next game.

25. Dart-Dragon

Aug 6, 2005

Getting my butt kicked in a fighter game? The only one who has owned me in a fighter
    is my little brother! (Tekken4) Damn that Julie/Eddie!

Anyway frome what the two of you have written it seems this game is gon`na KICK ASS!..
    Or at least I hope so! Ogmiose...Do you mean the fact that Scorpion is some kind of ghost or that theyve killed him?...By the way if its you that had that LOTR third age
    Question I think I gave a half ass answer to it. you can go see for you`re self...
    In case you arent the same person and I dont want to write about a LOTR game on a
    Mortal Combat tread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.