main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mortal Kombat (Xbox 360, PS3)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    It doesn't need one; the combos are idiot simple.

2. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    So even a rock could figure it out then?

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Mortal Kombat games have never had a steep learning curve like some of the Capcom games. You can always jump into a MK game and figure it out within a few minutes.

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes. Combos are laid out with the face buttons not "H" "L" and "S" like Street Fighter, MvC and even Soul Caliber.

The most complicated finisher I came across was back, forward, back, forward, down X. That's child's play. Most moves consist of back, forward X. Rinse and repeat with O instead of X. As stated, not a tough game to be good at.

Now stringing together combos and being great at that game is another story all together.

5. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Toasty!

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't really played this series in awhile- I had Deadly Alliance, but recall the efforts to add depth to the combat (particularly giving each character 2 or 3 sets of styles, each with a separate list of moves to memorize) ended up making things way too complicated to play effectively unless you dedicated yourself to the game or a particular character.

Has that been something they've backed away from/refined in subsequent titles to help make it easier to jump in on like the first few games?

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I've been playing the demo on and off for a couple of weeks now, and I'm still (mildly) excited for it. I'm loving the return to the 2D arena and faster fighting style, but I still really miss the "bright" art style from MK2 and MK3. They've more or less just copied the look and feel of the previous MK games since Deadly Alliance, which kinda makes the game feel a lot older than it should. I dunno, maybe I've just been spoiled by the refreshed Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs Capcom styles.

8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Damn I used to play the hell of MK 1 & 2 in the Genisis days. I have I think its called MK Trilogy from PS1, but my expirences with this franchise is OLD. I might go see if I can find that PS1 game and throw it in the good ole PS3.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah so I got that game out of my closet early today and totally failed at it. I only knew Sub-Zero's ice freeze beam and on Novice I only made it to the second fight. I have NO SKILL at fighting games. I think Im going to look the players moves up though and see how I do.

10. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Here are some links to the story mode, if anyone is interested.

WARNING: These links are SPOILERS! Big bad spoilers that will perform a Fatality on your person if your not careful.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

11. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Actually, they're all here.

Once again, SPOILERS!

Spoiler.

Personally, killing basically all of your kast is not a good way to end a story.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Anyone got it yet? How come there are no reviews??

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I have it.

IGN's review has been up since last night. Got an 8.

Been playing for about an hour/hour 1/2 and it's a solid fighter. The story mode is weak (story being the weak part) and the cut scene graphics seem very early-gen (meaning they look about 2 years old). They aren't beautiful, but they get the job done. The graphics, in-game, while fighting get the job done and look nice enough. The challenge is definitely there, though the CPU has some balance issues later in the ladder/arcade mode.

I have it on PS3, lured by the additional character (Kratos). The controller works well with the game, actually have a D-Pad that functions is a big plus. I do miss the familiar pop of achievements, but trophies are just the same.

If you're not into fighters but are interested in this game, I'd say rent it. If you're an old fighter fan and want to relive some past experiences that the MK's of old brought to you, then it's a good game to pick up. Definitely fun to play with friends that you played the originals with. Lots of "OH MAN! Just like before!" moments.

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Just got the game. The fighting is a LOT faster than it was in MK vs. DC, and a lot more simplified by the removal of a 3D battleground. But it's very fun and very fluid.

My only gripe is the quality of graphics. WTH? MK Deception and Armageddon for the original Xbox had better looking cinematic cutscenes. The graphics definitely leave something to be desired, especially considering how smooth MK vs. DC looked in comparison.

Did Warner Bros not give NetherRealm Studios as big a budget as they're used to or something?

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Jesus Christ, they made Liu Kang so hard to use well. He was so awesome in MK vs. DC, but now he's so goddamn difficult to use properly, especially with the 360 controller. Goddammit. So annoying in story mode.

EDIT:

As for the story mode being weak, I disagree. It sums up the first two Mortal Kombat games, which is pretty cool for any old school MK fan. It does sort of what Shaolin Monks did for the last-gen, which is retelling the Mortal Kombat story from our childhood.

So far I'm at the start of the MK2 storyline.

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    To me, the story feels jumbled. I follow but to be honest, a lot of it has been forgotten over the years. I do see parts and say "Oh hey that's right," but for the most part it's a little underwhelming to me.

I agree, the cutscene graphics really do leave something to be desired. At moments they are downright ugly. The game in motion is nice, though; the textures don't look bad from far off, it's only when you get an up-close look in a cutscene that you wince. Kind of disheartening since the game seemed to be in development for some time.

I love the controls and how simple they are. It's easy to get combos down and memorized, the hard part is chaining them together. This game has made me want to go back and re-play MK vs DCU. Thinking I may do that.

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Just got to Kitana and Jade in story mode. Boy, the MK girls do look hot.

18. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That's the part I'm at, where it's 2 on 1? Yeah I had to run to work before I could beat it.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Wait til you get to shao khan. Huge pain til I figured a cheap tactic.

Anyway, I read that the ps3 version has a 3d mode. What exactly does that mean?

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Probably that it can output in 3D on 3D TVs.

21. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes. And since I don't have a 3-D TV nor do I plan to get one, it's useless to me. :p

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Man, some of the bosses are quite annoying. Kintaro and Shao Kahn top among them.

How the heck do you beat Kahn as Raiden?

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Spamming.

That's how you beat any of the top bosses; Kintaro/Goro or Shao Kahn.

As Noob I spammed the hell out of his slide and tackle, then hit a ghost orb so Kahn couldn't block and hit him with the X-Ray. As Raiden, I did a lot of teleporting followed by his flying attack. Kahn is a taunter; he loves to taunt and usually during his taunts he is vulnerable. It took me a handful of tries but he can be beaten. He is just extremely tough (see: unbalanced) and forces you to be as cheap as possible.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I've beaten Goro several times by just fighting him, but Kintaro and Kahn are frequently invulnerable to attacks. You can uppercut them or kick them or whatever and while they take damage, they don't stumble or otherwise react; they just continue on with their attacks. It's very frustrating. It's like they sometimes have a permanent forcefield on.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I seriously cannot stand this unbalanced match (Raiden vs Shao Kahn). I cannot beat this guy and it's ruining the game for me. I was having just a good time, only to end up with this piece of crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.