main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mortal Kombat (Xbox 360, PS3)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Kratos from God of War???

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    That is correct!

I'm fighting Kahn in Story right now and it's unbelievably frustrating. Almost maddening. I feel like I have to jump over him and uppercut him, then rinse and repeat. It's so tedious. Very poor design.

Same in the arcade/ladder. So frustrating. Kintaro is much more difficult than Goro, and Kahn is the worst. I have landed solid uppercuts on each of them and, if landed properly, they do fly into the air, but the damage that is done to them is far less than what they deal out to you.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I beat Kahn as Liu Kang in Story Mode without too much difficulty. Now that I'm at the finale of the Story with Raiden, however, I have no idea how I managed that. I was very upset with how Liu Kang's combos aren't as easy to do as they were in MK vs DC, yet I managed to take down Kahn. But now that I'm Raiden, who plays so much more easily than this version of Liu Kang, I can't do crap to Kahn.

I've been playing the Raiden vs. Kahn fight almost all day now and the most I've done is won a single round and came so damn close to winning a second. So damn close. We were seriously hit for hit but his damn perma-forcefield got in the way and he didn't take damage while I did. And that was when I finally let out a bloodcurdling scream and shut the game off.

I seriously cannot imagine what they were thinking when they made Kahn so difficult. It completely sucks all the fun out of the Story mode (the only mode I've been playing so far--because it was so fun before this). What the heck were they thinking?!

Also, Raiden feels so much weaker than he was in the other modern MK games (he was awesome in Deadly Alliance, Deception, and MK vs DC).

Back to Kahn vs Raiden, I've even looked up strategies online and it seems like everyone is having a heck of a time with this. People have recommended keeping away from him until he throws projectiles at you, in which case you teleport and do an uppercut or flying attack. Rinse and repeat.

Sounds easy, yeah? Well, the problem is that Kahn's perma-forcefield frequently ruins this strategy at the worse possible times. Plus, God help you if your fingers screw up a teleport and you end up jumping instead of teleporting. My nerves are so on edge during this match that my fingers sometimes screw up and Kahn makes me suffer horrendously for it.

Ugh.

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I feel your pain. However, I just beat Kahn as Raiden.

I love Raiden in this game. Once I finally got to play as him I was pwning. The part with the souls of the fallen fighters was awesome and made me feel like such a badass. Then when Kahn came on I knew it would be a real trial; he's too strong. The character is just flat out unbalanced.

The way I beat him was through trial and error. I tried just shooting electricity at him but he throws spears and in that game of projectiles, he wins. So then I tried to dodge and do the fly-attack. Yet, if you miss, you're open to a lot of punishment and Kahn can dish it out.

So ultimately I just calmed myself and focused on...you guessed it. Teleporting and landing a fatty uppercut. If I missed with the uppercut, I immediately teleported away. This actually works extremely well once I learned his rhythm; if you teleport before he goes for a move, he will move to face you and smack you. You must wait until he makes a move, then teleport and nail an uppercut. If you can get an X-Ray off him at one point, I recommend doing it; at first I thought he was immune to them but he certainly is not. He is only immune to throws.

I was tempted to change the number of rounds to 1 under options so if I got lucky, I could just call it a night. :p However, that reverts all your saved data (I believe) and will force you to restart story (again, I believe).

Story was really, really awesome. I'm really surprised at how much fun it was cycling through the different characters and watching the story unfold. I enjoyed it. It started out weak but I thought it turned out really good and I was legitimately surprised at how well it worked, as opposed to just random fights and an ending after, say 10. The story mode was a nice touch.

Kind of bummed I finished it, though. Though I am enjoying the challenge tower. :p

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I kind of figured that if I teleported and attacked Kahn before he did a move, I was screwed. So I always tried to wait until after he unleashed his attack so that I can teleport and counter. But this requires so much precision and grace, and my frayed nerves just weren't capable of performing this strategy yesterday.

Maybe tonight will be different. But I did notice that I was doing a lot better if I tried to focus and remain calm. That's when I got so close to beating him. But one single mistake ruined all my hopes. :(

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I completely suck at these games yall. The only MK I have is Trilogy from the PS days and last night I was getting it handed to me on Novice as I played Rain. If I got my hands on this new one Id get smoked quick.

So Kratos is a playable on the PS3, does he kick ass?

Who is the playable on 360?

7. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yeah Kratos is pretty beastly. Has some great moves and his fatality is really gruesome.

360 has no one.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Played for another hour today before I finally beat Shao Kahn...by the time running out :p

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004

Not who, but what.

PS3 Exclusive: Being able to play as Kratos

360 Exclusive: Being able to play online. [face_plain]

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    WHOA. You can't play online with the PS3 version? :eek:

...oh wait, is that just a reference to PSN being down?

11. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
  12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Tried this at a friend's house the other day. After playing MvC3, this is just way too slow, clunky and not that pretty for me.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I think Mortal Kombat games have usually been half the speed of Street Fighter games, but that doesn't make them any worse, imo.

I love Street Fighter, and I love MK. But I'm definitely better at MK than I am at Street Fighter.

14. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Funny, my friend was borrowing my MvC3 and I just got it back and popped it in. I can't stand it in comparison to MK. I feel like MK is the better of the two games with a better controller layout and combo system. The pacing is also better.

15. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    MK3/UMK3 and MKT are just as fast as any Street Fighter. They don't have as many seizure-inducing flashing lights though, which might make them seem a little slower.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    That's probably it. Capcom's games give the illusion of incredible speed.

Anyway played king of the hill last night. It was kinda laggy :/

17. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    HEY! At least you have ONLINE...LOL

18. Avii

Avii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2010
    Hey guys,

Would any of you be down for running a king of the hill night on the 360 sometime in the near future? We could talk Star Wars whilst ripping off each others heads!

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Loser, this game kicks ass.

[face_blush]

20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Has anyone here been able to get a double fatality on Shang Tsung in Ladder? I'm trying to get the secret achievement for fighting Classic Jade, and am using Scorpion to Jump punch and uppercut, but I always manage to get hit once or twice over the course of two rounds. Spent a good hour on it earlier to no avail.

21. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Well, I haven't. I got classic Smoke tho. He whooped me.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I finally pulled it off. Two hidden kombatants down, two to go. Smoke never appears in the living trees stage, and I can never get the pit at nighttime to show up on my ladder. Hopefully I'll get both eventually as I continue beating the ladder with every kharacter (10 down, 17 left).

I didn't think Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would be surpassed as my favorite fighter this year, but Mortal Kombat's on the verge. I dig it.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Just downloaded the classic ninja skins, looks much better I think.

Also getting Rain when he comes out. :cool:

25. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I really need to start not playing fighting games until they stop releasing DLC, because by the time they start coming out with cool characters I've already moved on to something else. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.