main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Mortis and the Gaping Plot Hole?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ridiculis, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Luke's understanding flows from Yoda, who told Luke the story while on Dagobah, while training Luke to kill Vader. So... In that context, Anakin did fail to balance the Force. In the context that Anakin then redeems himself and kills Palpatine, he balanced out Mortis, and then balanced out the greater Force. Luke maybe needs to think it further through, but I imagine he'll come to the conclusion himself. Denning might not let him, though.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It seems more to justify all the Sith, with whether Luke is right or not about Anakin being irrelevant because Anakin is dead and whether or not he balanced the Force or not is irrelevant because it no longer is balanced in 42 ABY.

But the idea that the Jedi and Sith will maintain the balance in this "new age" is a copout that ignores that the Sith are the source of the absence of balance. Saba even uses the constant conflict as evidence that there's no balance, so... how do the Jedi and Sith keep the balance through conflict?

The logic isn't even internally consistent.

3. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    The whole "Jedi and Sith constantly fighting to keep the balance" thing is absurd. I know this had been said before, but the whole point of Anakin (Skywalker) bringing back balance to the force was that he KILLED THE SITH. Darkness is not balance. The balance was maintained when the sith were at their weakest, not when the NJO and Lost Tribe/Darth Caedus/Darth Krayt/Whoever battle it out killing millions in the process.

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Damage control... The NJO planned for one Solo kid to be a Luke-like warrior, and for the other to be a philosopher. The warrior was to die and the philosopher was to bring a new approach. Pre-NJO, Jacen would have been the obvious overconfident second coming of Luke while Anakin always brooded about his relation to the dark side. So originally, Jacen would have died and Anakin would have found a new way. Then Lucas said that the hero character shouldn't be named Anakin. Instead of re-planning the NJO to keep both characters (and lose the drama and the need for a different Jedi path), they just switched the names. Jacen became the philosopher, Anakin was to die. It's not even unlikely that the post-NJO would have been mapped out the same since the name switch didn't equal any change of content.

That's what Lobot's got on his headphones. He's a bit of a romantic. And a bit of a privacy invader.

Always record. Always record.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

There was also a prophecy associated with the hero. The warrior dies specifically because the Yuuzhan Vong targeted the warrior thinking he was the prophesied one, but he was a decoy for the philosopher. When they switched from Anakin to Jacen, they also scrapped the prophecy.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And instead ran with the twin thing, I assume.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think that would've been really cool and make total sense–Yuuzhan Vong place an unhealthy amount of weight on war, and so they'd sneer down their flat noses at the philosopher, not considering him a threat. Their ways would be their downfall. I wish they'd kept this prophecy, even if Anakin was the warrior and Jacen the philosopher instead of the other way around.

8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That or this:

Oh right. Thread topic.

I thought the plot hole with Mortis is that the source for the ancient Jedi distress signal is never explained. So whaddup with that?

Grey1 likes this.
  9. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    It was explained, it was the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 broadcast over and over from a radio tower.

Jedi Ben, JoinTheSchwarz and Grey1 like this.
  10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I would call it "walking in a timely manner" with brief power walks in select books, but yes.

By the way, how good are our chances for a retcon to connect the dots between Mortis and Zonama Sekot (and the Vong galaxy by extension)?

So that was where the scottish guy was hiding all those years. Did you get this info from JJM's Kenobi book?

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What dots are there to connect?

12. Darth Ridiculis

Jul 15, 2013
    So that was where the scottish guy was hiding all those years. Did you get this info from JJM's Kenobi book?[/quote]

Yes, I just read an advanced copy, the Scottish dude can flow-walk and Qui-Gon Jinn isn't dead, his body is possessed by the Dark Side and leads Obi Wan across the desert to pop the Giant Force cork back in and stop the flow of evil.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I always thought that Denning loved Mortis.

14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    They said in the newsreel that the distress signal was of Jedi Origin and that it was over two thousand years old.

15. Darth Ridiculis

Jul 15, 2013
    Maybe a Jedi exploratory vessel had found itself stranded there all those years ago, and it was the will of the Force that Anakin and company latched onto it. Though my initial instincts were that it was something fabricated by the Father in order to lead potential candidates to Mortis to replace him.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The ethereal nature of Mortis -- at least, until Apocalypse -- leaves it a question that has no answer nor needs an answer. Now there are a lot of questions that have been raised, including how Father got his children imprisoned back on Mortis every time they got "let out" to stop Abeloth, or why Son didn't just wait until Abeloth was freed again to escape Mortis or even why he didn't escape the last time Abeloth was freed, plus a bunch of other issues.

17. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    If we see Mortis as a real physical place, then both Mortis and Zonama Sekot are force-rich strange real physical places. EU had made more of less.

Yes, I just read an advanced copy, the Scottish dude can flow-walk and Qui-Gon Jinn isn't dead, his body is possessed by the Dark Side and leads Obi Wan across the desert to pop the Giant Force cork back in and stop the flow of evil.[/quote]

Arrrrrgh use spoiler warnings! Can't unread! And the mystery of why the Dune Sea has no water in it is ruined!