Mos Eisley Spaceport Cantina

Discussion in 'San Joaquin Valley, CA' started by MotherPalpatine, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Thought it might help to have a place to simply chat without having to start a new thread, etc. And what better place to gather then the Mos Eisley Spaceport Cantina, where we serve almost all kinds.

Welcome and remember the first cookie is on the house.
  2. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    should this be a sticky thread?
  3. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    It will be but I just wanted to get it started, this beinging the first of the month and time to turn to the next page.

Who have we here? A Dog Demon?
  4. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Someone mention free cookies? [face_batting] [face_batting]
  5. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes. Free cookies. The Darkside is always very giving.[face_devil] Help yourself.;)
  6. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    The Crazy Old Wizard went tramping off today to look at a remote control airplane that he had been told about eariler in the week. He thought he would be home shortly after 12:00pm but instead arrived more like 8:30 pm. Plane in tow. It is a replica of a P-47D Thunderbolt with an approx. 5ft 3in wingspan. I'm not sure where we will put it for now but Sid'ious loves his new toy. He is ready to fly.

Other news; the Count will be attending the Discovery Ball this coming weekend at the Science Center. And I believe that a few others will be there for Sunday. We just keep staying busy.
  7. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    I demand cookie immediately. White chocolate macadamia, but no trans fat, please.

Cherie has called me from the "Lingo" studio today, to report that they are also taping an episode of "House" there today. So that thunking sound you may hear at some point today will be her dropping dead if she sees Hugh Laurie. Will keep you posted!

We were going to go to the Discovery Ball, but Lingo starts taping this week and they have to do weekend work. I am also going to a pro launch party for the next big MAC Cosmetics color story, "Barbie Loves MAC" -- yes, makeup and Barbies...sigh...it was cooler in 2003, when it was Playboy... Anyway have fun at the Ball -- we will have to ALL go to ALL the fan days! Making plans already!

Mary

8. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    I also wanted to say how WONDERFUL it is to see Bettye again.

For all you other persons on TCFF, I have known Bettye since *1979* -- man are we old! She was just one of the respondents to my all-call on the boards in California, looking for old friends last month when I joined TFN. My partner Cherie (also a long-time fan, whom I've known since 1977) and I had the delightful opportunity to hook up with Bettye and Barry, as well as Liz and Dan, at the Anime convention a week ago. It was a wonderful evening, many MANY stories told and many drinks consumed... We also have to train the new (i.e. youngling) people about being REALLy old-school (I mean, we talked about DOUGGIE CONS!!! Aieee!!! Aagh, that takes me back...) -- I felt like a freakin' SF con Jedi Master or something... Anyway, we are telling many stories about other friends and acquaintances, and educating the padawans. We blazed the trails!! Okay, this is getting too weird.

Anyway, about myself for the younglings/padawans:

I am a cancer registrar in Southern California, enjoy hall costuming (NOT COSPLAY, I hate that word! ARRGH! Invented here, used in Japan, re-co-opted here, sigh how predictable...), have done makeup for some very small private productions, earned my MAC Pro card (which was like giving a drug addict a discount...) and enjoy the Adult Swim block (Go Ignignokt and Err! Terrorize many more cities! The Moon Rulz #1!). In my alter ego, I have done feature photography for an equine magazine (for Cherie's articles below).

My partner Cherie is a long-time fan, as I say, who has made good -- she has worked as a television researcher, writer and producer (currently) for the last ten years on several shows, including Win Ben Stein's Money, Millionaire, Weakest Link (primetime and syndicated), On the Cover, Lingo, 1 vs. 100, and the late and unlamented Show Me the Money. She wrote the feature article on the FIDM exhibit in SWI #85, and has authored several features for an equine hobby magazine. She has been to Skywalker Ranch five times, and took me the last time (and "we have pictures, and we're in them!")-- it was amazing.

If I can figure out how to post photographs into posts, we can set some up, as well as our meeting and having photos taken with GL at FIDM, and some other old-school con antics.

Anyway, that's us -- if you are old like us and want to sit in the corner of the cantina and talk about the good old days, I gotta pitcher of blue milk right here (yuck).

Mary Thomson
  9. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh yeah, and dog demons need to be tied up outside. SIT, BOY!

Love,
    Kagura
  10. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    "White Chocolate Maca..." We don't serve their kind in here.;) Okay, I will try to find one somewhere. Must be something nutty hiding under a box. Meanwhile try the Darkside cookies.

Hey, you beat me to announcing our little run in last week. No matter it was good to see you and Cherie and to catch up on things. Yes, much has changed since we last saw each other-and I apologize again for believing the horror stories-- and Cherie was wonderful. The picture of her with GL was great. Learn to post photos.

Sorry you will not be at the Discovey Ball as it should be fun. Perhaps the two of you can drop by the next day for the opening? And I know we plan on making the Fan Days.

C4 is going to be great and we will have to meet up then and see who else we can find from the old days. And of course there is ComicCon. We can hold court at both and teach the youngling's what it was like so long, long, ago.:p

Anyway, nice of you to stop by our boards and look forward to talking to you again.

Now to try and find that cookie.
  11. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually...we MIGHT be able to make the DB, as guests! One of Cherie's producers has tickets but he might not be able to go, due to a scheduling conflict. It would be wonderful to be able to attend! If nothing else, all the Fan Days for sure!

Yes, it was really great to be able to hash through all the rumors and horror stories, nothing like a good face-to-face sitdown to really get to the bottom of the TRUTH there!! Things are a lot different the information isn't via keyboard! Cherie also thinks you're wonderful and can't wait to see Barry again (a consummate gentleman if ever there was one).

Mary

Mary
  12. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Mary, let me say that I hope to see you guys this weekend. The Ball does sound like fun.

This has been an odd week. It seems to have begun slowly then suddenly it is Friday(well, almost) and I have to pack again. Made a few changes to Dooku's cape this evening. The Wizard found some new medallions (sp?) and I replaced them and then did a little repair to the tunic-snaps needed to be reinforced.

Jerry is finishing up his last week at Merv's and then begins Borders on Monday. I understand that he is working on meeting the dress code.[face_whistling] And Liz has had a rough week because her dog, Alli, is ill and then some strange guy tries to climb through a window at her work. The good news is that Allie is better(she has a serious illness) and the strange guy didn't get through the window. Not to panic, he is harmless but was just really determined to see his dog. The dog, by the way, is a Bulldog and ugly. I know that Bulldogs are not really known for being pretty but even in the Bulldog world this one is ugly. But I'm sure he has a great personality.[face_devil]

I know there was more but with my thoughts on the Discovery Ball and seeing people I have not seen in a while, my mind is wandering so I will have to think about this and make some notes.

Oh, and who is up for a trip to FIDM? So many events and so many minutes ticking away to C4.
  13. xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Master

star 3
    Yes Yes good ol Borders. I've actually been there for the last week, which has been a LOT of fun. Nothing like having a full on gangster ask you where you have season one of Inuyasha.
    Dress Code...hehehe. I love the lack-there-of.

14. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    LOL, great re-cap of the week Bette. But you forgot the part where you saved me from the bathroom. And PS Buster's tongue is too long for his snout and can often be found with half of it sticking out at me :p, as if in defiance, whenever he's in a relaxed state.

Yes, Allie has parvo, but has now definately turned toward the road of recovery. She can at least keep all her pills down, and since one of them is an anti-nauseal, we're all much happier here. Also, solid poop = good poop.

In other news, I really need to get cracking on my C4 costumes. That belt is a biznatcho and I'm afraid I'm going to need a lot of heckling to get anywhere with it.
  15. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    We are now...PINK. Thank you Miana, I sort of like this in an odd way.

The Discovery Ball was wonderful and we enjoyed meeting up with those familiar and meeting those new. The Count was in true form and even joined the Jedi for awhile as their numbers were down due to some being late, but everything worked out. Obishawn did a great job and I tip my hat to him.

We were not able to return on Sunday but plan to be there for the Fan Days.
  16. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, a car accident causing traffic delays was mentioned on another board, maybe that was the problem. Odd though, we were checking on traffic before going to the party we were attending, and Sigalert had nothing about any kind of bad accident around there. Something as bad as described would have taken hours to clear out of the system.

Anyway, glad you had a blast, our function was great too.

So, anybody take a read at the indentured-servitude-esque volunteer policy for CIV?
    Let me see: You are issued and have to wear a uniform (T-shirt) and are given strict guidelines as to when and when-not you may wear it. You are working on a time card, for reimbursement. For compensation, you must work 20 or 40 hours, during technically a 5-day convention. I think legally in the state of California those factors qualify you as a part-time or full-time EMPLOYEE? And particularly if you work an 8-hour day, you are therefore entitled to compensation at the rate of minimum wage by law?! And when do you get to see the con?
    (munching on cookie, pondering)
    Mary
  17. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, more on this! I literally figured this out:
    Total convention hours (posted on GenCon site, not including 24-hour store): 79, over six days.

If you work 20 hours (almost 25% of the convention), you are compensated for a four-day pass (I'll put it as $110 since most people seem to be pre-registering), and you get a $5 GenCon credit, for a total compensation of $115.00. That is $5.75 per hour.

If you work 40 hours (almost 50% of the convention), you get the same badge reimbursement, plus up to $50 hotel reimbursement maximum, and a $10 GenCon credit instead of $5, for a total of $170. That's a whopping $4.25 per hour. (Yes, it's actually more economical, with more of a chance to actually see the Celebration, to work fewer hours!)

If you are "promoted" (?) to the Associate Volunteer level, you get badge/hotel to $50 and a $15.00 GenCon credit, PLUS they give you a "predetermined schedule," instead of, apparently, your requesting hours you'd like to work. Based on a 40-hour minimum schedule, that's a "promotion" to $4.38/hour.

Minimum wage in California is $7.50/hour for up to 8 hours/day and/or 40 hours/week. Going over the daily OR weekly rate means mandatory overtime pay by state law.

By what I read from the volunteer FAQ's, you are:
    1. Issued (and required to wear) a 'uniform' (tee-shirt), and must follow strict guidelines as to where you may/may not wear it (i.e. no wearing it in bars, etc.),
    2. Scheduled per a physical time card, and
    3. Compensated at least partially after the event (not like you're going to be able to make use of all the refunded money at CIV).
    4. "Associate" level volunteers must adhere to a predetermined work schedule.

Pardon me, but if that doesn't scream "employee," I don't know what does.

And also note the "subject to availability" caveat on the priority-seating and VIP-line-pass benefits. Judging by reports I've heard from CIII, I am not entirely convinced.

Now, I'm not bagging on volunteering, I've done plenty of my share at many cons, and I know you have too, for even no comps in return. I would certainly have liked to do some hours at CIV just to "give back," even for a lesser comp (a 'thank you' volunteer shirt or token or whatever) or even nothing. But the above seems practically indentured servitude, and I am frankly of an age where my time is worth more. I also want to, oh, I don't know, be able to *see* the Celebration!

Perhaps when a schedule comes out, it will become more clear. But until then, I am reserving judgment.

Happily, I seem to read that most fans are also rejecting the above (we are an intelligent bunch!) and preferring to volunteer for RL, the 501st or the fan-run tables on their own schedules. Good. SW fandom started as fan-run and grassroots, and should continue as such whenever possible.

Anyway, stitch-n-b**** over, thanks.

Mary
  18. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    I never heard anything about an accident but then I spent most of my time in the changing area or with troopers. Hope no one was hurt.:confused:

I did read the info on volunteering. I have volunteered but not for GenCon. I also thought I would like to enjoy the convention. --I have lines to stand in--:D They will most likely get a lot of the younger crowd to volunter. Bless'em. Barry and Liz were already asked by MR to volunteer some time and I will be with OPX. I think I will get a t-shirt, which is fine with me.

I had also thought about the fact that they were asking someone to work an 8 hour day. Does this include breaks, lunch?

Will you be at Fan Day on the 24th?
  19. ScootyPuffJr Jedi Knight

star 2
    Absolutely, volunteering, as I said, is noble and I agree that the younger set will probably go more for it, bless 'em.

24th is on our calendar, we'll be sure to hook up with you guys!

Mary
  20. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
  21. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    The Wizard and I had a successful day working on costumes for CIV. Well, in a way. We began working with the leather pieces, which reminds me-I need a waist measurement from the Vice "I was press ganged and will now wear a bald cap" Chancellor. Or I should say that I was instructed to get said measurement by the Wizard. He cut and dyed his new belt, I dyed and began lacing my bag and we have begun molding and shaping some leather that I will be needing. Also made a very nice twisted horn for Sid but the Wizard says he needs two.

Next is to sew together the skirt I cut out today and hem it then begin a little needle work.

Oh, and I have to train a toy poodle tomorrow. Joy.
  22. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    i thought i already gave the measurements? oh well, i can again of course. a little needlework, eh? ;)
  23. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    No poodle training.:( Dupree did not show so I spent my time discussing the politics of Fan Force. Well, Liz and I had to do something as she was also a bit bored. Although I suppose we could have talked about the Dark Mage. I told you he was sexy if you overlook the wheezing, racking coughs, and blood.
  24. Liz_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    ah, all this darkness ties together. i've got some videos you must see. think "poison."
  25. MotherPalpatine Jedi Master

star 4
    Crusing YouTube and came across this little bit of video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhkudUtwvc&NR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.