main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Annoyingly Gaping Plothole

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by solojones, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    For me it's that R2 and Threepio obviously know who Anakin Skywalker is, so wouldn't the name Luke Skywalker ring a bell? This could be explained in Ep III (memory erase, etc) but for now it really makes me mad.

What are your pet peeve plotholes, in the OT, the PT, or both?

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    They Did get their Memory Erased. GL even said it.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We'll see about that. That would make sense.

I'm also wondering about the disappearing Jedi thing. Even if GL does explain it, I will be hard pressed to buy it most likely.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Mr_Sith

Jun 19, 2003
    Lucas in an interview confirmed it.

5. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    That's the thing about Star Wars, there are no plotholes. Even if a minor error occurs in production, there are fixes created by LFL and the Expanded Universe. So, you can never say that there is a plothole in Star Wars.

6. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Not so much a plothole, but it does sometimes irritate me that GL condensed his orignal plans for Ep 7-9 into ROTJ, allowing for very little development with the Leia / Jedi powers storyline.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it seems she kind of stumbles upon some of her powers and it doesn't go anywhere.

And about LFL and the EU, what if you don't know everything that goes on there or don't consider it canon? Personally, I just don't have time to get all that extraneous info that I don't necessarily consider canon for the most part.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    There aren't plotholes in the Star Wars saga.

What Star Wars does is allow the audience the leeway to figure out things, allow them to use their imagination. And create their own answer.

Its basically all about the individuals perception of the story, if they don't get something then its not the storytellers fault, he is providing the road map the individual has to use it.

To me, there are no plotholes.

9. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

But even if the droids had their memory erased wouldn't Vader remember them?
    Threepio isn't that hard to forget!

10. Mr_Sith

Jun 19, 2003
    Vader never really came into close contact with 3P0. Even if he did do you know how many Protocol Droids are in the SW Universe?

11. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    You don't have to read any of the EU to understand Star Wars.
    But if there is just some blaring 'plothole' to you, there's resources available to find out a detailed answer. These boards definitely serve that purpose.

And yes, Vader has a lot more on his mind than his old procotol droid in ESB. Droids are like appliances are in our universe. Would you remember a toaster you had 20 years ago?
    By the way, there's a nice little story in Tales about Vader/3PO. It's pretty cool to see the human side start to slip out of Vader.

12. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    For me it's that R2 and Threepio obviously know who Anakin Skywalker is, so wouldn't the name Luke Skywalker ring a bell?

They get a memory wipe in the time between Episode III and Episode IV. In fact, we might even see them get their memory erased in Episode III itself. ;) :)

Yeah it seems she kind of stumbles upon some of her powers and it doesn't go anywhere.

That's because she's a natural diplomat, and never had the time to actually focus solely on Jedi training, which is a lengthy process.

In fact, the only reason she even dabbled in it was to set up the storyline for her kids to have a strong ability to use the Force. ;) :)

And about LFL and the EU, what if you don't know everything that goes on there

You don't need to know everything that goes on there. Just the part that is related to the plothole you are concered with. :)

or don't consider it canon?

Then don't consider it canon, and let that be your opinion. But if that's the case, don't go whining that LFL made a plothole, because since EU is actually official canon, it didn't leave a plothole. It's just your opinion not to believe in that, so it's no one's fault but your own. ;)

Personally, I just don't have time to get all that extraneous info that I don't necessarily consider canon for the most part.

Then don't go off saying there are plotholes. Because there aren't, since the EU fixes them. You just refuse to acknowledge the EU, which is fine, but also means that, again, it's no one's fault but your own.

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well some things might not be really 'plotholes'... I mean, you can explain it, but that doesn't mean it's a good explanation. I just think some of the stuff was put in the PT for it's 'cool' factor even though it doesn't fit in with the OT. Like R2 flying. Oh sure, you can say he just doesn't have that ability anymore or doesn't use it in the OT, but personally, it seems like kind of a cop-out.

I'm not trying to bash the PT, by the way, I like it. I'm just saying there are some errors that annoy me.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    KenKenobi -
    Then don't consider it canon, and let that be your opinion. But if that's the case, don't go whining that LFL made a plothole, because since EU is actually official canon, it didn't leave a plothole. It's just your opinion not to believe in that, so it's no one's fault but your own.

EU is official canon? Is that right?

Good topic, Solojones.
    I think it's fun to discuss plot-holes , or whatever people want to call them, and being fans we're naturally going to want to fill in the gaps that the flmmaker didn't have time to. Of course they may be real mistakes too, hey - George is only human.

Here's one -

How did Darth Maul know the Queen + Co. were on Tatooine?

Answers from EU or personal speculation welcome. :)

g

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Like R2 flying. Oh sure, you can say he just doesn't have that ability anymore or doesn't use it in the OT, but personally, it seems like kind of a cop-out.

There was not a single point in the OT when R2 needed to fly. AOTC, during the Factory, was the first time R2 needed to fly, and probally the only time he'll need to.

16. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    EU is official canon? Is that right?

Yes, it is. ;) :)

How did Darth Maul know the Queen + Co. were on Tatooine?

No plothole here. It's easy, and was solved completely within the films. :)

From TPM:

NUTE: We control all the cities in the North and are searching for any other settlements...
    DARTH SIDIOUS: Destroy all high-ranking officials, Viceroy...slowly...quietly. And Queen Amidala, has she signed the treaty?
    NUTE: She has disappeared, My Lord. One Naboo Cruiser got pat the blockade.
    DARTH SIDIOUS: Viceroy, find her! I want that treaty signed.

Now here's the part that's really important...

NUTE: My Lord, it's impossible to locate the ship. It's out of our range.
    DARTH SIDIOUS: ...Not for a Sith. Viceroy, this is my apprentice, Lord Maul. He will find your lost ship.

Later on he follows Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the Queen et. al. from a safe distance, all the way to Tatooine. ;) :)

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    There was not a single point in the OT when R2 needed to fly. AOTC, during the Factory, was the first time R2 needed to fly, and probally the only time he'll need to.

Well it might have been handy when he was getting off the sail barge in ROJ, instead he just throws himself off. Looked a bit dangerous.

g

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Me - EU is official canon? Is that right?

Ken - Yes, it is.

Well didn't Lucasfilm say that only the movies were canon? Has this changed?

Now here's the part that's really important...

NUTE: My Lord, it's impossible to locate the ship. It's out of our range.
    DARTH SIDIOUS: ...Not for a Sith. Viceroy, this is my apprentice, Lord Maul. He will find your lost ship.

Later on he follows Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the Queen et. al. from a safe distance, all the way to Tatooine.

He follows them ?[face_plain]
    He follows her starship in his Infiltrator? Sorry I don't get it - how does he find them and then follow them?
    And haven't they (the Queen and co.) already landed on Tatooine when we see Sidious talking to Maul on Coruscant?

g

19. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Well didn't Lucasfilm say that only the movies were canon? Has this changed?

"Canon refers to an authoritative list of books that the Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays. Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of the continuous Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. Everything else is considered canon."
      -Official LFL Policy Statement

Yeah, it's official canon alright. ;) :)

He follows her starship in his Infiltrator?

Precisely. :)

Sorry I don't get it - how does he find them and then follow them?

No, he knew they were leaving Naboo (they had to be, since that was where they were at before they left), so he simply tracked the ship's location from the hanger on Naboo and then followed them at a safe distance in his Infiltrator all the way to Tatooine. ;)

And haven't they (the Queen and co.) already landed on Tatooine when we see Sidious talking to Maul on Coruscant?

Yes. In fact, this is what it said...

DARTH MAUL: Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
    DARTH SIDIOUS: Move against the Jedi first...you will then have no difficulty taking the Queen back to Naboo, where she will sign the treaty.
    DARTH MAUL: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.

So you see, he had already tracked the ship from the Naboo hangar to its location on Tatooine. From there he simply followed them and landed on Tatooine.

No EU or "extraneous sources" needed. It was not a plothole in the first place. ;) :)

20. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    They tracked them from the message they sent them. Obi-Wan was correct when saying it was a trap, but he didn't know it was already too late.

21. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Not a plothole but I get anoyed by Sidious saying " everything is going to plan"
    He meant for Maul to be killed.
    He meant for the Queen to get off Naboo
    He meant for Jango to kill Zam with a Kamino Saberdart and obi wan having a friend who knew what it was and where Kamino was??

To me it seems a little like luck rather than a plan.

22. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    Every plan has a few bumps in the road. These ones just turned in Sidious's favor.

Besides, at the end of AOTC, Sidious was talking about the war. His plan was to start a war, and that certainly happened.

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    KenKenobi,
    thanks for the info on the canon issue, I had not heard that before. So can we assume that if something happens in an EU book (and it doesn't contradict a movie) that it is canon.
    What's an infinities logo?

No, he knew they were leaving Naboo (they had to be, since that was where they were at before they left), so he simply tracked the ship's location from the hanger on Naboo and then followed them at a safe distance in his Infiltrator all the way to Tatooine.

This is the bit I don't get, how could he track them? The TF couldn't track them and they were relatively near, so how could Maul/Sid track them, they were on Coruscant, half a galaxy away.?

Jango Fett- They tracked them from the message they sent them. Obi-Wan was correct when saying it was a trap, but he didn't know it was already too late

Yes, thats interesting, I was wondeing about that. Obi says that the message is bait to establish a connection trace, he tells them not to reply and he seems certain when talking to QG later that no-one replied.
    Maybe someone did.
    Or maybe Maul somehow tracked the message that was sent to the Queen's ship.
    Is that what you meant?
    Interestingly - he knows they're on Tatooine, but he doesn't know where.

g

24. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, I meant that Maul tracked the Queen from the message sent to their ship. I thought I had read that somewhere...

25. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    What's an infinities logo?

"In order to allow unlimited freedom of storytelling, the 'Infinities' label has been placed on the anthology series, Star Wars Tales. This means that not only can the stories occur anywhere in the Star Wars timeline, but stories can happen outside continuity. Basically, if an event happens in Tales, it may not have necessarily happened in the rest of the expanded universe. For some stories, the distinction is largely inconsequential. For others, it's the only way they could exist (for example, there's a Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul comic coming soon)."
      -Steve Sansweet, from "Ask the JC" on the Star Wars Official Website

Here's a picture of the logo...

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2001/05/img/infinities_slug_sml.gif]

;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.