main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Awe Inspiring Moment

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sn4tcH, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKakarot

DarthKakarot Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 9, 2005
    When that girl dies in MGS2, ya know, the proffesors sister or something. I think her name is Eevee... lol, pokemon.)

2. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    Agreed, an incredibly moving ending.

Other moments:

The Final Fantasy X-2 dream sequence where Yuna and Tidus are shot by guards.

"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle" - Seriously, it was the first plot twist in a video game.

The opera sequence in Final Fantasy VI.

Pretty much anything in Ocarina of Time.

Seeing the giant corpse boss in Symphony of the Night for the first time.

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    E.E. was Otacons nickname for her. But yeah, that was pretty unexpected. I felt especially bad for Hal. Geez, nothing good EVER happens to him... EVER!

4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Silent Hill 2. When you finally realise that James mudered his wife, was pretty shocking.

5. -Jeb-

-Jeb- Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2006
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater's ending.

Words cannot explain how amazingly, incredibly, unbelievably crazy that **** was. The truth of it all is revealed with the final sentence, just before the credits roll. First and only time dus-far that I have ever shed a tear over a video-game. It inspired me to play it over again 3 more times afterwards.

The Revelation sequence from KotOR was pretty awesome too, but it wasn't as great for me since it had been spoiled about a month before I even bought the game. Some idiot on GameFaqs started off a topic with the title "OMGZ I CANTT BELEAVE DAT REVAN AND THE GUY YOU PLAY ARE DHE SAEM GUY LOLZZ!!", pissed me off.

But when Malak destroyed Taris, it gave me a strange nastalgia of when Vader annihalated Alderaan with the Death Star in Episode IV. Only one thought hit when I saw that sequence: 'Poor, poor Underworlders.. *sniff*'

6. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^I got the same feeling playing KOTOR II. After killing Nilhius, or however you spell that guys name. It was fun just to stand on the bridge of his ship and watch the space battle going on outside.

Later on, when I saw Episode III, I was reminded of doing that when Obi Wan and Anakin are freeing Palpatine, while the space battle goes on outside the windows around them.

7. Kan-Kilgar

Kan-Kilgar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2006
    The Maw, in Halo. Especially when you go over the virtually bottomless pit. I actually stood up and looked down into the pit.

8. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    probably when you found out you were Revan in KOTOR

and then when you find out that Squall and the rest of party all went to the same orphanage in FFVIII

those were pretty cool

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Finding out that you were Revan

Breakdown's awesome variation on a classic plot twist The First half or so of the game is merely a simulation of your past. During this sequence you have a a hub and all of that but once you're in reality the hub goes away.

10. -Jeb-

-Jeb- Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2006
    Also in Halo 2 when after the credits roll, Cortana defects with the Flood creator guy/thing/octopus. That was cool. Not necessarily awe-inspiring for me though since I'm not a Halo fan (friend brought the game over and we beat it over-night on Co-Op). But still, I think die-hard Halo fans would've found that pretty crazy.

11. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

The Revan revelation didn't surprise me; I had guessed it already. Still a cool moment.

I think that the first time you see Ragnaros spawn takes the cake.

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The end of Wind Waker.

Just Ganondorf spreading his arms and screaming at you, " YOUR GODS ABANDONED YOU!!!" And then laughing insanely as the oceans collapse around you. Then of course at the end of the fight.

RIGHT IN THE ****** ******* HEAD!!!

13. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I have to agree with Soontir on this one.

Everyone laughs at Wind Waker, "OMGZ It's a kiddy game! Look at the cel-shading!"

How many kiddy games end with the master sword shoved a foot and ahalf deep into Ganondorf's skull?

It was just "whoa! That's a nasty way to die!"

I also liked the end to Prince of Persia: The Two Towers. It connected the storyline so perfectly, leaving no holes behind. Excellent end to a great trilogy of games.

Metroid Prime 2 was a good one too, not necessarily for awe but more "oh yeah". Samus just leaves through the Luminoth bowing to her and just waves goodbye callously, like she didn't really care she nearly got killed that whole time on planet.

So yeah, a few great moments in gaming history.

14. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    There are so many such moments in Half-Life 2 that I've lost count. One that I particularly love is the urban fighting with your comrades through the streets of City 17. I've played that seqence over and over again and it never gets stale.

Another sequence that is worthy of a mention is Stalingrad and the retaking of Red Square in the first Call of Duty. Man alive, if you have a good sound system for your compy, the explosions, gunfire, and music will totally blow you away. :eek:

15. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    That post brought back fond memories of the Legendary ending for Halo 1. After Master Chief completes his mission to destroy the Pilar of Autumn and escape, we see Seargent Johnson and an Elite wrestling for control of a gun (Assault Rifle IIRC) on the other side of Halo, and they see the Pillar of Autumn start to explode. They drop the gun as Seargent Johnson says something to the effect of "Aw heck. Gimme some sugar." And the two embrace. Laughed my *** off when I saw that.

16. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    XWA: When you and your family come back and the Imperials are waiting.

17. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    The ending to Freedom Fighters....the final mission in Syphon Filter 2...the destruction of Taris had me wow'd...and when Malik reveals that he's destroyed the enclave on Dantoonie...that had me all sad panda. :(

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I hate the part in Halo just after you discover Jenkin's recorder, and have to deal with the sudden swarm of Flood. It still creeps me out, especially once the combat forms appear out of nowhere.

It is definately a memorable gaming moment, though.

19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Last night, Star Wars: Battlefront, my Rebellion Wookiee Smuggler is in a major firefight with three stormies on the Bespin Platforms level, and a stricken TIE-Bomber angled in from about 11 O'clock and flattened the poor fraggers.

I was just laughing, unable to believe what had just happened!

:D

20. yoda_rulz

yoda_rulz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2004
    Revan's revalation scene...my brother's buddy had come down to visit, and he probabally thought was insane...I was just sitting by the computer doing this evil laugh thing

The opening for Dungeon Siege II, when the music came on and that huge dragon flew by, I was amazed.

21. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Like someone has said before, the openeing cinematic to The Maw in Halo. You see the Pillar of Autum crashed in a sinkhole enviroment, and the Halo theme is playing. Then the bottom of the screen reads: "And the horse you rode in on."

I think it is the most epic moment from Halo.

22. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    QFT

23. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Every time I turn a corner in Oblivion. That thing is just overwhelmingly beautiful, and not only visually.

24. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    When i 1st saw the huge Tripod-type machines in HL2 it was somewhat of a "wow", followed closely by "Holy ****, I have to fight that?" moment. They were more impressive looking than anything though; easy :p

25. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    also, the first time I turned a corner in Max Payne, dove, turned on the slo mo thing, and blasted people with my shotgun.

Of course, after that first time, I overdid it, and it lost it's coolness factor...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.