main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Most Cheesy Lines From the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moviefan2k4, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    The one that comes immediately to my mind is when Anakin refers to the dead Count Dooku as an "unarmed prisoner", moments after cutting his hands off.

Mr. K likes this.
  2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Hm, there are plenty of cheesy lines which tend to make you cringe, especially ones concerning Anakin and his display of affection for Padme. But, mind you, I don't find watching the scenes with those lines particularly hard to watch. I can easily put myself in Anakin's shoes as I can be very romantic and sometimes, when I think about things I've said to some girls, I can cringe pretty hard and hope that I'm the only person in the world who remembers my words.

Maybe I'll come back with some particular lines, but I can't remember any line which really stands out at the moment.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    "It's all Obi-Wan's fault. He's jealous, he's holding me back!"
    Yeah man we get it, Anakin feels constrained by Obi-Wan, we didn't need it literally stated to us.

Oberst Hans Landa, Eryndil and TKT like this.
  4. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Sometimes, we overstate the obvious in moments of anger or stress; Anakin doing the same was just another reminder of his humanity. Apparently, one of Lucas' biggest aims with the prequels was dispelling the illusion that Vader never had a soul, and was always brooding or vengeful. From all the interviews and such, it really seemed like he wanted to show the man behind the mask, not just physically but emotionally as well.

I've read and replied to a lot of prequel haters over the years, and most of their comments have a common echo to them: they didn't want Vader to be an ordinary man. God only knows where this notion came from about the "eternally badass" Anakin Skywalker, because the films don't reference it at all.

5. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    This.
    Anakin's "It's all Obi-Wan's fault. He's jealous, he's holding me back!" is totally out of place for a third person to hear, but that's what's happening on people's minds when they have to face a horrible crime they committed and have to live with that guilt. And since you have a hard time convincing yourself in Anakin's case, you say it loud.
    That's the way it works :)

Most cheesy line? No idea. "The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you ..... I can't breathe." perhaps? I just noticed that this was written in the script as "The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you makes my stomach turn over - my mouth goes dry. I feel dizzy. I can't breathe." :)
    When I watched ANH a few months ago, I just found myself smiling at Luke's "I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescrue you!". I don't know...when you hear that, you clearly see where Lucas's inspiration for Star Wars dialogue comes from and it became a symbol of Star Wars for me therefore :)

6. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Aluma numa tafa!

I don't know why but that line used to crack me and my friends up. We'd always say it in response to each other.

"Hey man, I'm getting ready to run to the store?"

"Allright! Aluma numa tafa!"

Oberst Hans Landa and Mr. K like this.
  7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Your thinking too much man. I love the prequels. But I can admit there are some cheesy lines. There are very few movies that don't have a few cheesy lines.

8. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    "Weesa going home" is cheesy

TKT likes this.
  10. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Anything referencing Naboo and "lake-holding" in the same sentence definitely fits in this category.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Cheesiest of the cheesy?

Threepio on Geonosis.

12. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice!"

"I hate it when he does that!"

"Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?"

"That's... good news."

"Oh, not good!"

"I'll never join you, Dooku!"

"She seems to be on top of things!"

"Good call, my young padawan!"

"Attack those Federation starships, quickly!"

Every other line of Obi-Wan's in AOTC seems to be like cheese and pineapple on a cocktail stick. [face_batting] :cool:

There really needs to be a Magic 8-Ball of Obi-Wan's exclamations from AOTC.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  13. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    A lot of people say that to me, but I don't often understand why that's a bad thing. At the very least, it means I'm paying attention.

Agreed, which is why I started this thread. :)

14. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I actually didn't mind most of those lines that he says (well, not that much), but the one I thought was horrible was the one where he says (and I may be misquoting here) "Then why don't you listen to me?" after Anakin loses his lightsaber I think. I thought there were a few key moments in AOTC where, if Lucas had gone with more genuine dialogue instead of the cheesy stuff (and including the ones you posted) it would have gone a long way in making Obi and Ani seem like better friends. ROTS did this well.

Eryndil likes this.
  15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Oh, I don't mind the lines -- not at all. Quite the opposite, actually. They're rather delightfully cheesy and fitting of the "comic book" topography of the film, in my opinion. Plus, they're written in such a way as to convey a more delectable type of absurdity, as homage to the themes of growing disaffection, temporary insanity, mindlessness, and war. For instance, Obi-Wan's rebuke, "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice!" comes on the heels of Anakin exclaiming, "I thought I already did!" There's a slight redundancy in Obi-Wan's retort, since Anakin has just used the verbal phrasing, "I thought", implying a belief contained within his own mind. So, it's like, "Well, duh, where else would he be thinking such thoughts?" And then you can ask yourself a deeper question: where do the parameters of Anakin's mind start and end? A lot of the dialogue in AOTC is manifestly glib. In many ways, AOTC is the most aggressively-cheesy installment of the lot, and I think that makes it more interesting and enjoyable, personally.

Minez01 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "I am haunted by the kiss you should have never given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me."

*sigh* I know the Jedi had a no-attachment rule, but they weren't celibate, so would it have been such a problem to have a How to Pick Up Girls 101 course in the Temple? Geez, Anakin, you're like the sheltered kid who reaches puberty still calling a penis a "pee pee" or a "ding dong" and having no idea how pregnancy happens.

"Excuse me! I am in charge of security here milady!"

You're also making a complete ass of yourself in front of the Queen of Naboo and her security.

"You will learn your place, young one."

When you've embarrassed Jar-Jar, you know your argument is bad.

darth ladnar, TKT, Mr. K and 4 others like this.
  17. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    3PO saying "This is such a drag" as his head is being dragged along the dirt in AotC is one of the worst. I feel so embarrassed every time I watch that part, and I didn't even create the film.

Eryndil, Ord-Mantell70, TKT and 4 others like this.
  18. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    1. Any line by Anakin that includes "my powers."

2. Anakin/Padme fireplace dialogue.

3. C-3PO on Geonosis.

Eryndil, TX-20 and MOC Yak Face like this.
  19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Know what's worse? He's saying this to a former slave. Who spent the first nine years of his life just about 'knowing his place' as the slave of a greedy winged elephant dude named Watto. It's almost as bad as Xavier telling Eric in "X-Men: Origins" that the enemy "was just following orders". Eric (AKA Magneto) is also a Holocaust survivor in case you don't know your X-men lore, my good friends.

Yeah, on the list of extremely bad things to tell someone, telling a former slave to know his place is almost just as bad as telling a Holocaust survivor that someone or some group was just following orders. And we wonder why Anakin was so peeved with Obi-Wan?

TKT likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't disagree, but Anakin's end of the conversation was just as bad.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Or, even better, "my new powers"...

“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”

I also agree that pretty much anything 3PO says or does while on Geonosis creates a whole new level of cheesiness for which all other cheese masters can aspire.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree with Cryogenic, Obi-Wan was incredibly cheesy in AOTC IMO

also not really cheesy but a bit out of place "Blast this is why I hate flying"

Obi hates flying? news to me :p

other humdingers:

"and they blow you up BOOM"

"He's a protical droid to help mom" ya know in case she gets foreign visitors on her doorstep to entertain and needs help translating drink requests.

oh and anything Ric Ollie says, the guy invented cheese.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  23. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    How do we know they weren't celibate? Aside from Anakin, no other Jedi is portrayed as having ever pursued anyone romantically or sexually in the films.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas said they weren't.

And why would they be anyway? A rule against romantic attachment certainly does not have to, nor should it, lead to a rule against sex.

25. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    When?

That's a whole 'nother discussion, for a different forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.