main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Most Cheesy Lines From the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moviefan2k4, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    ROTS when Anakin says "General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected." and Grievous replies angrily "Jedi scum!"

Like really that's the insult you come up with when you confront your arch enemy? It's practically a compliment. And even worse, Grievous, a giant cyborg general who has no doubt been exposed to all kinds of horrors in his lifetime is apparently hyper-sensitive enough to be upset by it!

Also 90% of everything 3PO says. That goes every movie in the entire saga, lol.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't forget "We have a job to do Anakin, try not to upset him" Love that whole exchange.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    "What have I done?"- said in the most dramatic way Hayden could.

4. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Absolutely worst line I've ever...heard....in any cinema

ObiWan: "Anakin, Palpatine is EVIL"

Anakin: "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil"

mind you, this is in the middle of a fight.

5. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    To me the most cheesy line in the PT would be this:
    Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Basically my reaction to that line is this: Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

I wonder if Vader was thinking about snow and sand when he was on Hoth:
    Vader (thinking): I don't like snow. It's cold and wet and it gets everywhere. Though snow isn't nearly as bad as sand. *Grrrrrrrrrr* Sand...

There is also Anakin's "He was an unarmed prisoner" line after killing Dooku. One of the very few lines in Star Wars that makes me laugh and groan slightly at the same time.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Go drunk, you're home. :p

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    He should've worn his sand gear...

[​IMG]

The line that started this thread. :)

Barbecue17 likes this.
  8. Hobyoda42

Hobyoda42 Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2014
    Any line from the Meesa-Weesa idiot.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Is there a "cheesy line" thread in the Original Trilogy section? If not, what is the point of this thread?

10. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Why does it automatically have to be an OT of this thread? I mean sure the OT does have cheesy lines but like I said this is the PT thread, So any discussion of the PT can be laid here.

(Removed.)

Leave the Modding to me. ~Sx3

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Initially, I was in favor of a Cheesy/Campy Line thread... but this isn't what I had in mind.
    Locking for now.

12. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    "Did you press the stop button?"
    "No. Did you?"
    "No."

[face_monkey]

13. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    "A Sith LORD?"
    Great scott my dear Watson! You don't say? Palpatine is a Sith LORD??? Even though I had it pretty much figured out just a little while ago after I sent you off to see him and I said, "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi. The dark side of the force surrounds the Chancellor." But a Sith LORD you say? This greatly complicates things Watson!

TKT likes this.
  14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    A lot of lines that people think are "cheesy" are actually rather, well, let's call 'em ... sneaky.

Take this line of Anakin's:

"Master, sir, I heard Yoda talking about midi-chlorians. I've been wondering: what are midi-chlorians?"

Anakin sometimes puts out this spry, butter-wouldn't-melt aura that may not accord with his inner beliefs and impulses. Like when he first deploys a "yippee!" after Watto tells him he can leave early. We later learn that Anakin is deceiving Watto by building a podracer which he off-handedly claims Watto knows nothing about. Sometimes, Anakin seems to be striving to appear meeker than he might actually be. I find that interesting. A further clue rests in the fact that Anakin claims to have "heard" Yoda, of all people, talking about midi-chlorians. How did he just happen to "hear" this? Was he not meant to be listening? The line has never been discussed in this regard. Anakin also boasts about having "heard" the "deep space pilots" talking about angels after he attempts to explain to Padme what an angel is. Then there is Qui-Gon's final assurance to Anakin about the midi-chlorians in the scene that generates Anakin's question: "When you learn to quiet your mind, you'll hear them speaking to you." Lucas is even astute enough to position Anakin and Qui-Gon in the same circle formerly occupied by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and Palpatine and Valorum: two other mutual mirrors in the formal "daytime" arrival scene contrasting with the nightly mentorship -- words that are almost whispered like a prayer (with accompanying "magical" music) -- between Qui-Gon and his unofficial ward.

And this line of Ric Olie's:

"And look over there. Senator Palpatine is waiting for us."

Now, again, we're back at the landing platform on Coruscant and another sneaky line. All of Ric Olie's lines are deceptively declarative. That is, they appear to say something rather simplistic and even trite. The character has become something of an in-joke in this regard. But the simple declarations he makes to Anakin -- at least, in terms of their imagined psychological imprinting effect -- are anything BUT. This, in some ways, is the real genius of the writing in the PT: from many small comes a great. Anakin is being subtly corrupted here, even though Olie's intentions are, presumably, benign. The true phantom menace? All Olie seems to be trying to do is to reassure Anakin that things will be better from this point forward. His prosaic enthusiasm suggests clockwork precision and is perhaps meant to inspire awe. Ah, Coruscant! Ah, cities! Ah, vehicles! Ah, people! Look how amazingly civil this all is! But the Republic is an ugly mess and Palpatine is the devil in disguise. Yet isn't the Republic worth saving -- again, think of this from Anakin's POV -- when even a simple man like Ric Olie is impressed by the sight he beholds? Olie helps grease the wheels for Palpatine's designs on Anakin. Lucas again brings a simple, but very effective, day/night contrast into the film even on this level when he briefly reprises this tutelage of Olie's as the queen's ship is in transit to Naboo. This time, the cockpit is lit more moodily, and Olie placates Anakin when he tells him he catches on fast, eliciting a crooked smile of self-satisfaction from Anakin. Olie proves the adage: "A little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than no knowledge at all" (the ultimate fear out of which mythology arguably arises). Anakin is the vessel for this proof when he puts that little bit of knowledge to dark use and blows up the TF ship at the end of the film. Everyone has a hand in making Ani into Darth Vader. Even the viewer (the PT is full of references to spectatorship and surveillance of different kinds).

Well, just some meditation on two under-valued lines. Many, if not all, of the PT lines, derided or otherwise, deserve the same latitude, in my opinion. But they rarely receive any.

Dark Lady Mara and Ananta Chetan like this.
  15. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    =D= Cryogenic I could read an entire book of these!

Your combination of philosophy and satirical humor always provide ample opportunities of seeing the saga through fresh eyes.

I would love to see what you could do with some of Palpatine's paradoxically sinister lines before his transformation.

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Thank you! I even wrote that while drunk!

Hooray for booze! :p

Again, thank you. I'm not sure I excel at philosophy, let alone satire -- most of my observations run to the Dry Side -- but I'm glad you take something from my little screeds.

One of my favourites from each prequel:

"It is a great gift to see you alive, Your Majesty."

"I realize that additional security might be disruptive for you."

"Yes, Anakin, come closer."

17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Here's the stupidest line in any Star Wars film (but its also my favorite line). Nute Gunray: "They must be dead by now. Destroy what's left of them"

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    "Another happy landing."

First one I can think of at 11 o'clock at night. I'll try and think of some more when I'm more awake. :p

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still loved it.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The problem wasn't the angst...it was the whiny acting that put us all off, and not to mention who his angst was directed at, too. If he acted like this only towards the Council (with less whine), then he would have been less disappointing, I guess.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I read a lot of reviews of things that say "I didn't like this book/movie/whatever because the main character was unlikeable." It makes me wonder: does a protagonist really need to be likeable for a story to work? Art is art by virtue of its ability to communicate something to its viewers.

In the case of Star Wars, it's especially true. Would the prequels be as effective at setting up the classic trilogy if the character who becomes Vader *were* entirely likeable and uncomplicated? His creepy pickup lines and other such awkwardness foreshadowed his fall to the dark side, I think.

22. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

This thread is Chester approved.

23. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    ROTS when Anakin says "General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected." and Grievous replies angrily "Jedi scum!"

Like really that's the insult you come up with when you confront your arch enemy? It's practically a compliment. And even worse, Grievous, a giant cyborg general who has no doubt been exposed to all kinds of horrors in his lifetime is apparently hyper-sensitive enough to be upset by it!
    ----------------------------

I've always thought this!

Also:

"I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi"

because I dunno Maul wasn't a clue :p

Revanfan1 and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  24. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Think about it this way though: When General Grievous was rebuilt, he was made several inches taller in order to be more intimidating to his opponents. Anakin hit that soft spot with his line.

Revanfan1 and Dark Lady Mara like this.
  25. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    So im to assume that later that day Grievous was self-consciously looking in a mirror and saying to himself "What was he even talking about? I totally am tall. Look at me, Im super tall... Well maybe I shoudnt slouch so much - but that's only because my medical droid said it was bad for my back - not because I need to be taller - cuz I totally already am."

Revanfan1 and darth ladnar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.