main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most decisive moment ...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SithMaster_69, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    What for you is the MOST decisive moment in the Star Wars Saga? Which moment changed the whole thing for you? Made you look at it differently?

For me it will always be the revelation for Luke in ESB. For me, that took it from a simple good guy getting even with the bad guy story. The story was totally changed for me.

2. CHEVALIER_RYU

CHEVALIER_RYU Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    it not really a particular moment but rather the sum of Anakin's attitude in the first part of ROTS. He was a better man than I thought he would be. that made me apreciate the OT all the more because then I knew He was a good man, I didn't need to be told, It gave Darth Vader a new deft. It also made is redemption all the more powerfull, instead of just being ( oh look, Luke was right the bad guy saved him) I WANTED him to turn back and if I hadn't seen the scene a undred time before I probably would have spent the whole duel chanting (come on , come on, listen to him.). I also loved the fact thet he turned for love and came back for love.

3. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith: The opera house exchange confirmed my suspicion Palpatine was Anakin's metaphysical father, thereby establishing him as the author of the saga. (Note: I concede my extrapolation is not definitive.)

I wasn't even alive at the time of Empire's release, so this was the closest thing to a substitute.

4. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    It was probably noticing that the Jedi were terrible people. Either that, or discovering motifs for the first time.

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The most recent decisive moment was when Anakin enabled Palpatine to kill Mace as it made clear that not only did Anakin help establish the Empire(which we already knew of course) but the Jedi were literally inches away from destroying the Sith and saving the Republic when Anakin betrayed them.

The most decisive ever I'll have to think more about. It may be Luke's redemption of Vader though.

6. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    For me, the most decisive moment in the Star Wars Saga was when Darth Vader delivered this line:

"It's...too late..for me, my son"

It was the most humane sentiment he had ever uttered. He was momentarily conveying a sense of sadness and regret.

It was at this moment that Darth Vader became more than just a hulking, suited evil person to me. He became a sad old man who had made the worst possible choice at every turn. A man who knew that his life was wasted (and worse).

This one line conveyed more to me about Darth Vader than the entire PT did years later.

This to me was the most decisive moment of the saga. It completely changed my understanding of Darth Vader in one short sentence.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

QFT...that line defines Darth Vader. The prequels build off that single line, imo.

8. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Shmi decides she's gonna keep the baby.

9. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Maybe Han in the carbonite. Sort of unnerving.

10. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Luke breaks out his Green saber on the skiff.

Decisive back in '83 when it showed he was the chosen one that was gonna clean house and save the day.

Even more decisive now because it shows the lineage to Qui-Gon/Yoda .... ROTS, ANH, ESB - it's all fun and games ... Luke igniting the Green saber is the turning point in the whole Saga.

11. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    The sarlacc it creeped me out when I was little (8).[face_worried] Now every time it squels I laugh.:p Just joking, well at least the part about it being the most shocking part of starwars history for me.

Probably when palpy, and Anakin killed mace I was like whoa, didd'nt see that coming!!!:eek:

12. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Yaddle in a thong.
    The EU counts, right?

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think the decisive moment is when Vader humbles Luke on Bespin, delivers the truth to Luke, and Luke refuses the temptation that his father fell to. Anakin's betrayal of Mace Windu, and Anakin' betrayal of Darth Sidious are runners-up, though. There are so many decisive moments in the Saga, such as Luke turning off his targeting computer, etc.

I guess each film has it's own defining moment.

14. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    I think you're referring to fan fiction, in the form of fantasies inside your mind. ;)

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In terms of impact to the galaxy, in-universe, it would be the point where Anakin lops off Mace's arm and then Palpatine kills Mace. That is the key moment that defined the next 20+ years in the galaxy.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which was set up by the opera scene, the true key moment in ROTS.

17. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    I should also add the moment when Luke had beaten down Vader. He looked @ Vader's severed artificial hand and then to his own. Then switched off his lightsaber & tossed it.

He came to the same crossroad his father had, but he chose the path his father didn't.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Anakin did that.

18. DarknessofDeath

DarknessofDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2006
    Luke revealing Leia's true lineage to her after he tells her that Vader is his father. The moment he said "and my sister...has it." I got choked up when my mind thought back to why and how they got separated at birth and to this day, they find each other. I cried.

19. BzzzzMaster

BzzzzMaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2007
    In ROTS when Anakin sais goodbye to Obi-Wan and tells him he hasn't been appreciative of his training. When he tells Obi-Wan "May the Force be with you" I get choked up because that is the last time they see eachother (as Anakin and Obi-Wan). It all sort of came together for me right there, I felt like...if only one of them would say something, anything...they could change it all. I loved that.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Also QFT. I just remember the first time I saw that moment when he looks out at Endor and the mask itself looks so sad. Like it was designed with an eternal, regretful frown and it hadn't seemed that way before.

Probably in the PTs is Obi-Wan's "I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you" in the final moments of their fight. Such an honest moment for the character and really delivered well, IMO, by McGregor.

21. CHEVALIER_RYU

Jun 16, 2005
    For me, the most decisive moment in the Star Wars Saga was when Darth Vader delivered this line:

"It's...too late..for me, my son"

It was the most humane sentiment he had ever uttered. He was momentarily conveying a sense of sadness and regret.

It was at this moment that Darth Vader became more than just a hulking, suited evil person to me. He became a sad old man who had made the worst possible choice at every turn. A man who knew that his life was wasted (and worse).

This one line conveyed more to me about Darth Vader than the entire PT did years later.

This to me was the most decisive moment of the saga. It completely changed my understanding of Darth Vader in one short sentence.

True that a superb line.

But for me it only became really powerfull after seeing the PT, because then I had an idea of the human beeing who said it.

Before that for all I knew Anakin Skywalker had allways been a cold, harsh and distant man.

The PT showed he wasn't. Instead you discover a caring young man, who as troubled as he was was still loyal and helpfull. Someone whose fault wasn't greed or powerlust but the facts that he cared too much and that his loyalty was in one place misgiven.

After that, oohh goood. It made my heart ache.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    ANH: Both originally and in lieu of the prequals; Ben's sacrifice on the Death Star.

TESB: I have two here. 1) I am your father etc and 2) When vader appears and all we see is sillouette as he speaks the line, "But you are not a jedi yet." This is the hero being challenged by the villain. Vader had become this icon, and that is a huge moment for both Luke and vader.

ROTJ: Luke lighting up that green saber, the audience cheered in the theatre. Also I agree with "it's too late for me son." as noted above.

TPM: Maul's entrance, if for no better reason than "let's get it on!"

AOTC: At the end where Palaptine is overlooking the fleet and troops with the Imperial March playing. All his plans were going as he wanted. This was the master manipulator.

ROTS: Quite possibly the most important moment in the whole Saga; Anakin in the Jedi Council chamber alone, Padme in her home, they look towards each other from a distance and Anakin makes his decision then and there. The music is eerie and perfect. And that is palpatine's voice activly telling him in that scene that all he knows will be lost.

23. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Hey MistrX I too felt that Vader's mask "seemed sad". I am glad to hear that someone else felt that way. When I first thought that years ago I thought that maybe they used a different mask or maybe they lit it differently, or...something. But now I think that it must be the same mask they had been using all along, and that our perceptions were affected by our emotions at the time. Which shows how powerful emotions and inner thoughts can be in terms of affecting what we think we are seeing with our own two eyes...[face_hypnotized]

And to CHEVALIER_RYU I have been wondering just how powerful that scene would be after a marathon viewing. I keep trying to schedule a day out of the weekend for it but I always end up postponing for some reason. :(

24. CHEVALIER_RYU

Jun 16, 2005
    I did a Lord of the Rings marathon once, but I never tried with SW.

Would be a tearjerker probably.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    And for all the wrong reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.