main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most essential comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Callejón, May 8, 2013.

1. Diego Callejón

Diego Callejón Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2013
    I would like to start reading comics, and though I know it would be a hard question to ask which are the 'best comics', but what series do you recommend me to read?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Most essential? I'd say Dark Empire and Legacy. Personal preference includes Crimson Empire as essential but people disagree.

Best? Republic and Legacy.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For character-based ensemble, KOTOR.

For sheer plot ambition, Legacy.

For the best examination of how the dark side can affect the Jedi - the Quinlan Vos epic in Republic.

For nerve and compactness - Dark Empire.

Beyond this though, it really depends on what you are most interested in.

instantdeath likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dark Empire and anything labeled "Tales Of The Jedi".

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Dark Empire is "essential" because it's one of the cornerstones of the post-ROTJ Expanded Universe. Now, whether it is "good" or not is up to debate. However, I concur when Sinrebirth says Republic is among the best. I'd also recommend reading the good old Tales of the Jedi comics.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Welcome to the boards Diego! The best place to ask questions is this thread here.

I agree with Sinre about Dark Empire, Republic and Legacy, and would also recommend Tales of the Jedi as a pretty essential series. It varies in quality and absurdity, but it is a landmark series and eventually indirectly led to the Knights of the Old Republic games and comics, the latter of which is a very good comic series.

I'd also suggest Dark Times, which picks up right after ROTS and has some of the best art and stories in any SW comic.

Some other misc. comics that are great, but not necessarily essential:
    Jango Fett: Open Seasons (4 issues)
    Jedi vs. Sith (6 issues)
    Underworld: The Yavin Vassilika (5 issues)
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron (35 issues)
    Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison (5 issues)
    Chewbacca (4 issues) (though only read that if you've read or know the plot from the novel Vector Prime)
    Knight Errant (15 issues)
    Blood Ties (8 issues)
    Agent of the Empire (10 issues)
    Purge (5 issues)

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  7. Diego Callejón

Diego Callejón Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2013
    Well, thank you very much to everybody and thank you Todd for the welcome. I'll search those comics you've told me!

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd also suggest the X-Wing comics. They're a fantastic series, follow up directly on Return of the Jedi, and are neatly packaged in three omnibi.

And yes, I probably screwed that last bit up, but I have no idea whether "omnibus" would be a 2nd or 4th declension noun, so SHUT UP JELLO.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Tales of the Jedi
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Republic
    Dark Times
    Dark Empire
    Crimson Empire
    Legacy (a must read!)

Those would be must reads from me. I also recommend these:

Dawn of the Jedi - great comics thus far, and set in a completely unexplored timeline, they read as a great fantasy and/or sci-fi comics, not just as Star Wars.

Knight Errant

Agent of the Empire

Enjoy!

10. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction--This comic shows Boba Fett when he was still Boba Fett. (The Bounty Hunters TPB)
    X-Wing Rogue Squadron: Blood and Honor. (TPB)
    Marvel's Star Wars #8, 9, 10, and 16--These issues feature the Saga's greatest EU character ever! (Star Wars Omnibus: A long time ago ... Vol. 1)

_Catherine_ likes this.
  11. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    X-Wing Rouge Squadron is amazing if you're into Rebels and X-Wings.

12. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Classic Star Wars(the Al Williamson/Archie Goodwin newspaper strips reprints)

Shadows of the Empire

Dark Empire

13. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Top 10 (in my opinion)

Blood Ties (Awesome Fett stuff, Tom Taylor is one of the best SW comic writers with great characters and humor)
    Republic/Dark Times (Ostrander is a superb writer, good art, well done story-lines, going into Dark Times with Stradley and Wheatley just oozes epicness)
    X-wing Rogue Squadron (Classics, shaky start but the last few arcs are absolutely phenomenal)
    Invasion (More Tom Taylor, makes this era cool because of him, good balance of original characters and Big 3/Solo kids)
    Legacy (Most original SW series that still feels likes Star Wars, probably not a better team than Ostrander/Duursema)
    Agent of the Empire (Ended too soon, classic Star Wars action with some James Bond thrown in)
    Empire/Rebellion (Large variety of stories in a crowded era, introduces some interesting characters)
    Darth Vader (First two series by Blackman are fantastic, especially Ghost Prison)
    Crimson Empire (First one is classic, second one is okay, and third one is good to great, but all have great action)
    Star Wars (Brian Wood's new series, I am really enjoying it, art is very detailed, characters feel like the ones we all know and love)

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    For one moment, I thought this was an announcement for a Essential Guide to Comics book.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  15. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Legacy is the dopest SW comic out there bar none, hands down, thumbs up, nuts deep, and some other stuff. Forget the rest.

On a side note, I know there are a lot of Dark Empire fans out there, but don't believe the hype. The artwork looked like it was done in crayon! If that's what you like, then my three year old just made one of the pimpest SW stories of all time. I can scan it for you, it's one page and smells like "doodie" and that Elmer's paste stuff. If Ostrander/Duusema had done DE it would have probably been awesome, but they didn't, and its not. To me the DE plot line always felt like a really long infinity or "what if" anyway...Legacy is the real deal. Far enough past ROTJ to be original, but with all the good and familiar stuff still in place to make it feel like SW. I know some worry about not wanting to get into Legacy because they are afraid they may be lost. I hadn't read (and still haven't) anything farther than a couple books deep into the NJO, and then picked up Legacy and didn't miss a beat.

Three words...It's Pimp-tastic!!

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Please, tell me more about how Darth Talon is totally bangable.

17. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Darth Xalfrea There are a couple books similar to what you're thinking of. There's the actual Comics Companion, but it's from several years back and from what I've read is fairly light on some relatively minor and uncollected stories. There are also the Panel to Panel books, but I'm not sure if those are as much a guide to the comics as they just a history of Dark Horse's contribution to the EU. Ultimately I would hope DR or DK would put out a complete guide to the EU similar to Wook's "Timeline of Media" page. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Are you screaming at the wall again? How many times do you have to be told that this "Jello" exists only in your imagination?

Also, you could have just said 3 omnibus editions.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  19. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Isn't it obvious!? Although I'm afraid it's just a theorem right now as I'm not sure if there would be biochemical or anatomical restrictions. Let's say it maybe did come to fruition...and then like three or four days later you gotta "third lekku" if you know what I'm sayin. I'd have to say right now, until all the details are in, it's mostly just window shoppin...

20. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    In terms of continuity, probably the most important are (in no particular order):

• Dark Empire trilogy (yes, even Empire's End)
    • Legacy
    • Tales of the Jedi
    • X-Wing Rogue Squadron
    • Republic (#49-83)

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  21. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Also Dawm of the Jedi.

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    If you like the post-ROTJ time period, you should start with Dark Empire.
    If you like the pre-TPM time period, you should start with Tales of the Jedi.
    If you like the PT time period, you should start with Republic.

I would advice you to read comic series such as Legacy later on because they include a lot of references to other comics.

23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    From the Marvel comic book, I'd recommend #29 ("Dark Encounter") and the three-part story in issues 35 ("Dark Lord's Gambit"), 36 ("Red Queen Rising") and 37 ("In Mortal Combat"). Even with the restrictions Marvel had to deal with, these feature a top-notch, pre-TESB portrayal of Vader as a master plotter and a great villain.

24. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy! Best EU material out there.

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tales of the Jedi established the Old Republic era, so I'd say it's quite important.