main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most exhausting kinds of sports?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Basketball is extremely tiring if it's played between evenly talented teams.

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I recall the announcers mention during one of the Winter Olympics that the best conditioned athletes are cross country skiers.

For Summer Games, the synchronized swimmers are in insane physical condition. Imagine lifting your body up out of the water without touchng bottom. Oh, and you only get to breathe once every bouple minutes.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well cross country skiing is very much just about having a lot of condition, after all they are competing in up to 50 km in a race.

4. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I read an article about this a while back, it was specifically about which sports are the most physically demanding (in terms of "normal" sports if you will, i.e. not the Sahara marathon thing and such), I'm sure Cross Country Skiing came out on top.

5. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I would probably have to go with, triathlon athletes. That's brutal stuff they go through.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The funny thing though is that I can easily go out and go 10 km cross country skiing, but I can't run further than a couple of kilometers at one time. The thing is though in order to have a tempo on skis you have to keep the whole body working very hard.

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    That's something I have realised as well. I can have a brilliant condition for (for example) swimming or skiing, but when I should do a 10km run it is unbelievalbe hard. The same with other kind of sports. But I get fascinated about it.

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Officially, the correct answer is distance running / distance cycling (tied for first), followed distance swimming, followed by cross-country skiing, followed by boxing, followed by rowing, followed by water polo.

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Wow, I was gonna suggest boxing. Nice to know I was pretty close.

10. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I'd say tennis because the matches literally can go on forever. I've had 3.5 hour long matches, and by the end, I was about to drop I was so tired. And in tennis, you only get a break every odd game, so if you are stuck in a wicked long deuce, you're stuck.

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    What do you mean by "officially", Malkie?

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    distance running / distance cycling (tied for first), followed distance swimming

So...triathlons FTL.

13. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    I play adult baseball, and even though the sport in general is not that tiring, catching takes it out of you.[face_tired]
    So does getting hit by baseballs in the arms and shoulders:p

14. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll disagree in regards to ice hockey and its line changes. If you think that you get "a good rest" between line changes you're sadly mistaken. In ice hockey you go out and pretty much sprint with every fiber of your body on the ice for 0.5-1.5 minutes, depending on how good a player you are. Then you get maybe one-three minutes rest and you're at it again. Scott Niedermyer for example plays 2-minute shifts, rests for 30-60 seconds and then goes out to do the same again. It's pretty insane if you ask me. Although in regards to Soccer, I have to say that seeing a guy like Roberto Carlos run up and down a field for 90 minutes is pretty astounding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.