main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Most Haunting Line of the Film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi of Baker Street, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    To me, is when Kylo Ren is talking to Han and says (quote probably not exact) "I know what I have to do, I just don't know if I have the strength to do it." First time I watched this scene I totally did not know what was coming, so I thought he was struggling to have the strength to go light in that moment. Now I know that he was struggling to go dark...and the thing he didn't know if he had the strength to do was kill his own father. The fact that he does in fact find the "strength" to kill him is heartbreaking. I know I am in the minority of people that didn't see that coming a mile away, but I find that line haunting now, and I can't stop thinking about it and it really, really makes me love Kylo as a conflicted villain.

First time I watched it I was like "Yes Kylo! Find the strength to do what you have to do!". Now I am like, "No Kylo! Be weak! Don't do it" LOL

Are there any particular lines that resonate with you as haunting, or beautiful, or awesome in some way? (As opposed to comedic or just entertaining).

2. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    "Ben!" Is pretty much a perfectly developed, immediately heartbreaking line.

3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
  4. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    "This will begin to make things right."

5. Kapz

Kapz Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    Kylo ren talking to earth Vader mask

"I will finish what you started"

Makes me think that Kylo might be a double agent trying to destroy the sith from the inside

6. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    This requires a level of self awareness that I'm not sure Kylo Ren has.

7. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    "It's too late for me" - Ben echoing Vader.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It was a great scene. It was tough to gain a full understanding of it as I was too caught up in "omg Han Solo is going to die" ...it was so obvious from the moment he called out to Ben that I don't know how Han himself didn't see it coming. But then again maybe he did but was willing to take that risk just as Luke was for Vader.

Still it would have been good for them to use that scene to give us some backstory as to why Ben hated his father so much. Earlier in the film he made the remark "Han Solo is like the father you never had, well he would have disappointed you." There were so many peices like that missing that made the plot as a stand-alone film very weak.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    I suspect that the pedestal on which young Ben placed his "hero" father, began to falter when he began to work out Han's colourful past history as a scoundrel, liar and cheat ... (either that or Emo Kylo Ren on twitter) ;)

10. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Rey: I have to wait for my family, they'll come back, eventually.

11. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    "Dad, you used to owe people credits and not pay them?"
    "How many times do I have to tell you Ben, Jabba tried to enslave your mother! He was a monster!"
    "Don't try to change the subject Dad."

12. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Luke: " . . . "

Dak Oolron, Enkei, rhymecheat and 2 others like this.
  13. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    "Be honest with me Dad. A lot of people on the holonet have been saying you shot first."
    "No son I swear Greedo shot first! The only reason you were even born is because of his mind blowing incompetence!"

14. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Ben to Han: "Thank you"

Basically most of the lines from that scene.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Deleted:nothing to see here. Move along to the next post!

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    It's true. All of it. The Dark Side, the Jedi. They're real.

Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. Jedi of Baker Street

Dec 28, 2015
    I too love this line and the way Han says "yeah, I knew him.". He says it with such affection and awe...I thought Harrson nailed the emotion there of seeing this annoying little farm boy transform into a galactic hero, and a true friend.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I read it more as him recalling his friendship with Luke despite some sort of falling out. In that moment Luke seemed more like his ex-bestie.

19. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    ^ Yep. I heard bitterness tbh at the end of the line about him knowing Luke. Given all that had happened to his kid (with Luke presumably running off and recluding, rather than going all out to bring Ben back), it was perhaps understandable.

Sarge likes this.
  20. imperialpook

imperialpook Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    I was a huge fan of the first few words Kylo Ren's light v. dark confessional: "Forgive me. I feel it again, the call from light."

I liked the phrasing of call "from" light instead of call "to" light. Minor words, but a big difference!

21. Jedi of Baker Street

Dec 28, 2015

I didn't hear bitterness at all...maybe a twinge of sadness but that is not the same. As he said to Leia that if Luke couldn't get through to Ben, then how could he. To me that shows still what high esteem he holds Luke. Makes me sad they didn't get to see each other one more time.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Kylo: "Look how old you've become."

A very chilling line dripping with contempt for weakness and frailty. Felt like something Alex from Clockwork Orange would say.

23. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Leia pretty much set Han up to die.

Maybe she is the Sith in all of this.

24. Sunbloom

Sunbloom Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    Leia is Snoke!

25. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Yes. I know some of Ren's lines were meant to be evocative and heavy, and the actor delivered them well, but... No. 1, I have no idea what was wrong between Ren and his dad, Ren and his mom, Ren and Luke, Ren and the Resistance or Republic. Apparently It's Vader-related, but that doesn't exactly rule out a whole lot. Which brings me to No. 2: I have almost no idea how Ren ended up trained by the light side, idolizing a Sith, yet now serving the Knights of Ren. He does use the Force mostly for knowledge and defense, only slightly for attack, which I think betrays his past training with Luke. But JJ is at pains to show his crazy-twirly, raw-looking saber technique that doesn't really seem to resemble his old master's all that much. The guy is just messed up for sure, but I don't know enough about him to feel his pain.

The line that did get me was when Han just quietly tells Ren he'll help him. He doesn't have the Force. He doesn't have some secret angle to beat the odds and fix this, or even escape. It mattered so much more to me than any of Ren's lines, because we know how much it must have taken for Han to get to the point of just saying OK, sure. He has to know Rey is almost certainly going to kill him or take him hostage; but that crumb of possibility that something good will come from a word of acceptance toward his son is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.