main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Most Important Lightsaber Duel In The CT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sara_Kenobi, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I would say the most important lightsaber duel in the CT was between Vader and Obi-Wan in ANH. It was the distraction that the duel provided, which allowed Luke and the others a chance to escape the first Death Star.

2. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Luke V Vader on Death Star II is pretty much what the whole saga was leading to and proved the redemption of Anakin Skywalker and the downfall of the reign of the Evil Darth Sidious

Tho Yor and Sarge like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Luke vs Vader ESB was the most important battle. It shows the audience that Luke has so much more to learn if he wants even stand a chance against Vader next time. It also has the famous I am your father reveal. On top of it all it adds more stakes because it shows just how vulnerable our hero is when he loses his hand.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If the first Death Star wasn’t destroyed in ANH the saga would have been very, very different.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    We can safely say there wouldn't have been much of a remaining saga then. The DS would have destroyed Yavin IV, killing Leia and most of the Rebellion. Luke would probably have been shot down by Vader. Han might have escaped but I don't see him starting a new Rebellion on his own. The only way the saga could have gone on would have been if Luke somehow miraculously survived the battle and maybe had directly been guided to Dagobah by Obi-Wan, starting his Jedi training 3 years earlier, always assuming his X-Wing had enough fuel left for the trip.
    Most important duel? Of course the final one in ROTJ.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting to see all the different points of view on the different duels. I always figured the ROTJ duel was hands down the most important, for the fate of the galaxy, for the redemption of Anakin, and for the ability for Luke to be tested and resist the Darkside-a point where he essentially truly became a Jedi . IMO cos of all that, that duel was kind of the epitomy of what six episodes were leading up to.

7. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    ^^ I agree. I'd pick the final one in ROTJ for it's emotional conclusion for both Luke and Anakin while ending the Emperor's reign.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Its hard to decide between the two Luke/Vader duels.

The Empire duel brought Luke to his lowest point and set the stage for the trilogy's climax.

The Jedi duel was what the entire story was building too and had to serve as the emotional climax of the story.

I guess I'll pick the Jedi duel as being more important as that was where everything was leading to.

9. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    It's gotta be the Old Obi Wan KenobiVader Duel. It set the tone of the whole CT.

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    The non-duel between Luke and Vader at the end of ROTJ after he goes beserk and chops off Vader's hand. Luke throwing his sabre away was the climax of the OT - his rejection of the dark side, even though it meant his and his friends death, was sublime.

Snafu55 and Sarge like this.
  11. Rigon Quinn

Rigon Quinn Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2018
    The duel in ANH wasn't meant to be really that much of a duel. The most important part (I think) was the conversation and when Obi-Wan says ¨If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you imagine¨.
    I think both of the Luke vs Vader duels were good. I personally liked the one in the sixth episode more just because it showed how much Luke's power increased between ep. 5 and then.

12. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Hmmm. ANH duel brings about Kenobi's ability to communicate with Luke through the force and hence become more powerful then Vader could possibly imagine. That was pretty significant throughout the rest of the trilogy.

The TESB duel involved the reveal which turned the whole saga upside down and redirected the story. Pretty huge.

ROTJ duel is the culmination of everything else that happened in the saga so I guess I'd give it to that one by a nose.