main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Most Overrated and Underrated Star Wars Book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Star Wars books, I assume anyone who has been on the Lit Forum has read them at least once :p But here's a question for all of you.

What do you, yes you, consider both the most Overrated Star Wars book, the one that you just think is eh..."Fine" or legitimately think is bad despite everyone saying "Oh this is the best of the best".

and what book do you think deserves a little more love, what book do you think. Hey, that deserves to be given a second look.

Leave your comment below and let me know. I sadly haven't read many Star Wars books to know which would make good candidates or to give my fair assessment. But i still wanna know what you think :)

(Note if this book is part of a overall series ala Thrawn Trilogy, NJO, etc you can use that as a response)

vncredleader likes this.
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I would say Heir to the Empire is overrated not because it is bad but honestly just cause I find the other two books of the trilogy to be better. Less of the book being bad and just a testament to how good the other two are in my mind.

Underrated would either be Yoda: Dark rendezvous or Splinter of the Mind's Eye

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm actually going to say Dark Rendezvous is on the overrated end of the spectrum, at least here on Lit. Everyone seems to rank it rather highly but it felt fairly average when I read it.

For underrated, I'll go with Tyrant's Test (and Black Fleet Crisis in general). Seems to get overlooked a lot.

4. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am almost done with Last Command so I will be able to finally read Black Fleet Crisis. I has books 2 and 3 for years but only just got book 1. Can't wait to see what I think of it. Everyone seems mostly meh or down on those but I never here any actual arguments for why.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh is this when the Galactic Civil War ends?

Also I can't wait to see your thoughts on the so called Denningsverse of Star Wars (post NJO) that's a topic that gets uh...polarizing

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Overrated: Star By Star, Shadows of Mindor
    Underrated: The Hutt Gambit, Before the Storm

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Overrated: Pretty much all Luceno except Cloak of Deception
    Underrated: Hutt Gambit, Lando novels

COMPNOR likes this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    No the Black Fleet crisis is like 10 novels before the galactic civil war ended.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, the NJO series is overrated by its fans. OTOH, it has plenty of detractors.

CoPL is underrated; sure, there's some over-the-top stuff in it, and some of the characterizations seem a little off, but it's just a fun and funny story to me.

10. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    Underrated: A New Dawn

11. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    over rated for me would be the njo series i seriously think they are terrible and have not been able to get into them at all. another one would be shatterpoint

underrated for me would be the karen traviss republic/imperial commando series

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I've mostly read comics so...

Overrated: Knight Errant. It's not terrible. It's just quite meh. The Art is never that good, and Kerra isn't the most intiresting character.

Underrated: Evasive Action. It feels like nobodys even read this series. I love it so much. One of the best Jedi Purge stories, IMO.

13. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    As far as underrated goes i'll say Scourge was a pretty good book. Loved the look into hutt space.

Black Fleet Crisis is also pretty underrated. The Leia politicking was pretty great and Nil Spaar was one of the more terrifying antagonists of the bantam era. The lando/lobot treasure hunt was fun if completely unrelated to everything else. Wasn't a fan of the Luke chapters, but hey.

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Overrated: Shadows of Mindor. I don't know what people see in it.

Underrated: Han Solo trilogy. I'm in the minority that thoroughly loved it as a Han Solo origin story.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I so love the Han Solo trilogy.

YoungSmitty2, Taylore, Duguay and 2 others like this.
  16. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Overrated: Legacy of the Force novels

Underrated: Fate of the Jedi series, Crystal Star, Jedi Academy, the entire X Wing novels, Crucible, Dawn of the Jedi Into the Void

YoungSmitty2 and Taylore like this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Underrated: Union

"Underrated" in the sense that more people should read it and rate it. Rate it bad, rate it good. Just rate it. It's the pinnacle of everything good and bad in the old EU. It's like you took everything in the new EU right now and put it in a blender, then set the resultant mash to the theme of a 1990s romantic comedy. Starring real actors. I want them to do it again.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Overrated: Tarkin (love Luceno though), I found it a little boring unfortunately

Underrated: Dark Disciple, it's one of my favorite SW books period

19. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Overrated: Yoda: Dark Rendevouz
    Underrated: Dark Disciple

Canon Only
    Overrated: Tarkin
    Underrated: Dark Disciple

Legends Only
    Overrated: Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Underrated: Cloak of Deception

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    Overrated: Fate of the Jedi series
    Underrated: New Jedi Order series

Nu-Canon Only

Overrated: Aftermath stuff
    Underrated:TFA novelization( It was a lot better than the movie IMO)

Expanded Universe Only

Overrated: Fate of the Jedi

Underrated: New Jedi Order/Legacy of the Force

Darth Dnej likes this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Overrated: Labyrinth of Evil (and most of Luceno's stuff after CoD tbh)
    Underrated: Rogue Planet, The Lando Adventures, Rogue Planet.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Overrated: Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Underrated: Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith; Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith

23. wizards8507

wizards8507 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2016
    I've only read the new canon, so...

Underrated: Aftermath. I feel like everyone hates it and I thought it was absolutely fantastic once you got past the awkward present-tense narration.
    Overrated: Catalyst. It was fine but I think it gets too much credit for its tie-in to Rogue One and isn't judged on its own merit.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's impossible to rate the Darth Bane books low enough, so the fact that they've somehow developed a fanboy following makes them vastly overrated. I'd actually volunteer Kenobi as much more marginally overrated: it's a very good little novel, but people were rating it like it was the second coming and it's just . . . not. Darth Plagueis, likewise, is a fun continuity treasure hunt, but I have significant problems with almost every decision it makes and it simply doesn't work as well as a book as it might. It's not terrible but it's hugely overrated.

I actually find books to more commonly be underrated, though. Rogue Planet is hugely underrated, a great sci-fi work. The Black Fleet Crisis is another brilliant, intelligent take on the material that's often dismissed. The Han Solo Trilogy is commonly underappreciated, though it seems like it's one most people actually like, they just don't talk about it much or rate it super highly. The Hand of Thrawn duology is usually not given its due; it's about as good as TTT itself. Survivor's Quest is horribly underrated. It's a great little space mystery. Millennium Falcon is almost never listed as one of the only good post-NJO books, but I'd argue it's the only one of the non-series books to be underrated instead of overrated. It's not great, but it's pretty much the only thing in that entire period to actually be good, be fun, and not be dragged down by the horrible overarching plot.

25. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    Underrated: the Republic Commando series. Traviss told a story unlike anything else in Star Wars, and though it's not perfect, I think it gets too much hate. Yes, Mandalorians get more love than Jedi here, but what do you expect in a series starring Mandos? The cast is fresh and fleshed out, Traviss nails the military aspect of Star Wars, and though I think the series would've been better with Order 66 as en ending instead of 501st, the overall product remains one of the most unique things published under Del Rey. I feel like people are far less forgiving of RC's flaws than they are with more traditional Star Wars stories.

Overrated: the first thing that came to mind is Scoundrels. It just didn't do anything for me, none of the new characters were developed, and the plot and plot twists just felt like Zahn being up to his same old tricks. Yet it's reviewed quite well.

And I agree about the Han Solo trilogy, it achieves everything it sets out to do, but people never seem to talk about it.