main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Most Overrated Character

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mos_Eisleian_Radio, May 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Darth Maul is definitely the most overrated character in the series. I mean all that hype for a practically voiceless thug. I mean he was ugly, a great swordsman and pretthy fearless. But considering he was supposed to be the 2nd half of the dynamic duo who's purpose is to take over the Universe...I think he could have been a bit more dynamic and had a little more to say.
    This character was hyped to be the next Darth Vader. The only thing the guy had going for him is Ian McCaig (illustraitor).
    Definitely most overrated.

2. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    And he dies with a stupid expression on his face, too...

I have to agree with Bosh on this one. DM was all flash and little, if any, substance... a truly competent Sith Lord would've blocked Obi-Wan from retrieving Qui-Gon's lightsaber, and then sent him careening down the shaft with a hefty Force shove.

3. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I think Darth Maul did more than BobbaFett. Maul at least showed he could kick some butt. Who have we seen Fett slapping around? Han was captured for him. He was knocked into a man eating monster by a blind man. Heck the action figure didn't even have that shooting rocket thing that they promised. However I will hold off on saying Fett is overrated until after I see Ep3. He may grow in coolness.

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Bosh has nailed it on the head, IMO.

Darth Maul was way overrated. In the movie he was NOT scary, at least not to me. I was so not scared of him that Qui-Gon's demise at his hands was horribly shocking to me, in that I did not feel that anything prior to that in the movie prepared me for it. In ANH, by the time D Vader is in direct conflict with the main protagonist, Luke, (the Death Star battle) we KNOW Vader is a super bad dude, because we have seen him do a LOT of super bad things. And we knew that he was capable not just in a human way, as a pilot, but in that superhuman force way (choking people who aren't even in the same room). That provided tension that was not relieved until Han's sudden reappearance.

Darth Maul on the other hand, does NOTHING scary prior to the saber duel in TPM. He talks to his boss {"at last we will reveal ourselves" oooo, scary - NOT), he activates droids, he rides around on a new age motorcycle, he stalks around with the Neimoidians. The short saber battle with QG prior to the ship leaving Tatooine was too short, by the time you'd get scared it was over, the only thing in it's favor was that it was somewhat of a surprise.

I think DM could have been made scarier by letting us SEE his evilness. Isn't what film is supposed to do? SHOW us things? One idea I had was they could have shown Maul doing training exercises, and he could have really torn apart some droids or whatever, and let his aggression show. Maybe that's silly, but I just mean that they TOLD us he was scary, "a Sith? here?" but they didn't SHOW us he was scary.

To me, Boba Fett isn't really overrated, b/c we weren't told to expect one thing and then have the movies show us something else. Even before the EU books that hypothesized Boba Fett's escape from the Sarlacc were released, I had always privately believed that we didn't know the end of Fett's story. We didn't see Fett DIE, we only saw him DISAPPEAR into the Sarlacc. And if it takes 100 or 1000 years for Sarlacc to digest something, it seems like it wouldn't die IMMEDIATELY, especially wearing Mandalorian armor. To me, Fett was BETTER than promised. He showed his intelligence in anticipating Solo's tactics, and seeing him with that armament was enough to hint at the expertise to use it.

An-y-way....

that's my $.02

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    That certainly is a good point about Fett. I follow the books and I am glad they had him climb out of the pit. I just am a little disappointed at how he was used in the movies. I expected more from him when I first heard of him..

For me Maul was more of a Machine than an Evil one. Vader and the Emperor where evil but Maul just cam across as a solder. An efficient Killing Machine. I am reading Shadow Hunter now and I really like how they portray him. No real thoughts of Good or Evil just a guy who does what he is told. Sure there is hatred there but his orders from Sidious are his driving force. I agree he just looks scary. Nothing he does gives me that feeling, just his looks. However I kinda liked that. He really wasn't the one your where suppose to be afraid of. It's the guy pulling his strings you need to look out for.

6. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I guess it depends on how your define "Overrated". I mean if you go by the FANS, then Boba Fett is DEFINITELY the most overrated (thus far) character in the saga. I mean he did little to nothing (as described above) in the movies and yet is considered the most accomplished and feared Bounty Hunter in the galaxy.

If you go by MOVIE HYPE...as far as what we are lead to believe in the trailers and marketing of EP1 Darth Maul is a major character, and (on of) Darth Vader's predessessors fer Chrissake...but ends up doing not a more than Fett does (and they're probably only a few seconds apart in the running for actual on-screen time.

Actually I'd say they're both neck and neck apart in the overrated catagory as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.