main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Overrated Star Wars Character?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

The Sarlacc is not really a character :p

2. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Obi-Wan Kenobi.

He is depicted as pretty much flawless in the prequels and in the animated series.

Even though the Obi-Wan you see in the original trilogy hints at a more muddied past.

But alas, opportunity not taken.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No one is perfect in SW. Interesting take though. I have a hunch I won't agree with the tone of TCW but I can't help being curious now. Maul. I think he was way overhyped and really wasn't practical as a character I mean except killing Qui he didn't do much.

4. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2013
    Darth Maul.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I think Darth Maul was one of the better utilised SW characters - overhyped, sure, but as far as the film itself is concerned (and not taking TCW into account), every second he's on screen he makes an impact, much the same Darth Vader did during his nine-odd minutes in SW/ANH.

As to whether Maul is 'over-rated', I suppose the marketing hype, plus his return in TCW would put him into that category, but not to the same extent as Boba Fett, who, let's face it, did very little in the three films he appeared in.

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I don't really agree. There's a difference between being a good person and being a flawless person.

Obi-Wan is a lot like the Jedi in general in that he's a good person fighting for justice, but he definitely makes mistakes and it costs him.

In TPM, for example, he's rather dismissive of people in need. Jar Jar helps him and Qui-Gon out, getting them a transport, but Obi-Wan is just fine with leaving him there to be punished when the only reason Jar Jar is even back in the city is because he was helping them. There's also how he can be a tad elitist, such as by referring to Jar Jar as a pathetic life form (and unknowingly implying Anakin to be so as well) when he the only reason he has the parts to the ship because of their aid. Notably, not only do such people end up helping him as individual, but they prove integral to liberating Naboo as well.

He's kind of representative of the Jedi as a whole in that he's more concerned with completing his mission than seeing to the populace's needs and helping the downtrodden.

Another example is how in AOTC, when Anakin says that they should investigate (in order to impress Padmé), Obi-Wan shoots him down because they "won't exceed their mandate." Well, lo and behold, Obi-Wan does end up investigating who is behind the attacks.

Jesse Booth and Darth Bradius like this.
  7. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    You could make some very good arguments as to why Maul is more overrated then Boba. Frankly, I like Boba more, so this is my opinion.
    Boba hunts down Han when no other Bounty Hunter could in ESB.
    Boba has arguably some of the coolest looking armor ever seen on the screen.
    Fett also doesn't take any crud from anyone.

Maul kills Qui-Gon
    Maul tracks down the heroes to Tatooine.
    Maul also has a really awesome weapon.

So I guess it is up to the fan to decide who is more overrated and who is better.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, that's a really good way to put it.

(And I'm not just saying that because I increasingly hate Boba Fett).

9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Boba Fett. Besides tracking down Han, he doesn't do anything else except look cool (doubly true in ROTJ).

Han Solo. I really like Han, but I'm just going with the gist of the original post. Han is great, but he's not the end-all and the be-all that people make him out to be (or actually, maybe more like, made him out to be). It actually seems like for some reason the Han mystique has diminished in recent years. There was that March Madness poll that put 64 SW characters against each other last year. Han made it to the 3rd round where he was pitted against Obi-Wan (with Ewan McGregor as his avatar), and Obi-Wan beat him something like 2 to 1. (BTW there's a blow to Plinkett's/RLM's argument that Han is the epitome of an incredibly well-developed character.)

Samnz and Darth Raiden like this.
  10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Yoda. While I like his wisdom and that he plays an important part in SW canon, the hype surrounding his character makes everyone have to pay homage to him. Do not get my sentiments wrong, I like Yoda and revere some of his sayings, but during Prequels and TCW he became this larger than life character that got too much coverage.

SeparatistSympathizer likes this.
  11. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    For me:

Darth Maul
    Boba Fett
    Jango Fett
    Or basically any other character that is too hyped up when they're not very integral to the series.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Mace Windu. I've never really liked him that much(though I do think it looks really cool when he smashes the office window in ROTS). He's just such a jerk to Anakin that it's no wonder Anakin chopped his hand off. I think he is portrayed better in TCW but in the movies the only real thing he has going for him is his purple lightsaber.

13. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I concur with you Greivousdude. Mace Windu really should have been tertiary character. I do not like his personality in the Prequels and TCW. The only redeeming moment for Windu Is in the old Cartoon Network Animesque Clone Wars. So the only Windu I can tolerate is a cartoon.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Han. He was my favorite as kid, but as an adult I find him a bit grating at times (especially in ESB).

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Boba Fett is the king of overrated characters.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That can't be said enough... all of 4 lines in ESB, with most of screen time devoting to just standing around. Does even less in ROTJ.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Also Han and Boba

Boba Fett didn't enough for me to get that vibe to me like most fans.

Han Solo, because I didn't like him from the beginning. I was more a Luke/Leia kinda guy... until I watched Jedi that is.

18. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, I enjoy Palpatine, but he is really a one-note character. Honestly, Dooku and even Grievous to a degree have more layers to them.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sarge like this.
  19. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Boba didn't really do much for me. I actually liked his dad more.
    It might just be me, but Han Solo's dialogue to Leia is really slimebag at times and I'm tired of this "charming" womanizer trope. Han Solo has a lot of old friends that he could have hooked up with anyhow...

I don't like Palpatine in general. He's old and mean and (in-universe) belongs in the trash for manipulating everyone.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed on Boba, and Han and the trope. I don't agree about Sids. Yes, I don't like he played *everybody* and he so did but being old is awesome. I love age and I think Ian did wonderfully with him. I don't see Sids as one note or just plain evil same for my boys that did Dooku and Tarkin. The characters have depth to them because of the men doing them and they deserve credit.

21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Han Solo. The "cool" factor regarding him is no longer relevant to me. I find him rather immature.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wonder how our perception of Han will change when Ep 7 shows us a grown up/old Han. The fact that Ford agreed to return to the role makes me hope that he'll have a good character arc.

Jesse Booth and Yanksfan like this.
  23. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Old Han? For sure!
    Grown up Han? I love oxymorons!

Sarge likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Point taken, Samnz. [face_laugh] If the sequel shows us the same ol' Solo, I'll be happy to see him.

But I'm hoping the writers allow him to do at least some growing up in the last three decades. I'm hoping for a mature, deeper character who can still push all the buttons that he did when he was young.

Jesse Booth and Samnz like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I almost agree with your later statement, Sarge. I hope Han realises when not to press buttons now.

Sarge likes this.