Most Overrated SW Movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Scout_Trooper, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSithLord Force Ghost

star 4
    its in between AOTC and ANH

I go with ANH
  2. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    Generally, most people around here consider ESB to be the best, folowed by AOTC, ANH, ROTJ and TPM in that order.

ESB is not overrrated: watch it again.
  3. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    But I consider all the episodes to be equally good. Therefore, any episode that is said to be better than the others is, for me, overrated!
    And the same goes for episodes that are said to be worse than others; They´re underrated!
  4. Lieutenant Piett Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, this topic's question is pure Opinion, so there is no absolute right or wrong answer. It's all about "a certain point of view", that being one's own.

To that, IMO the Most Overrated is ROTJ. The anticipation of that movie back in '82-83 was enormous, I remember: was DV Luke's father, really?? Will the Empire be finally defeated? Will Han be rescued?

And what we got were mutated Muppets, Teddy-bears, and bored, emotionally detached performances from Ford and Fisher.
  5. MD-O Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree it's all just opinion. It's not that I don't like ESB, it's that I don't care for statements like, "most people think ESB is the best star wars movie", or "all stars was dialogue is awful." Says who?
  6. Luke_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    "I agree it's all just opinion. It's not that I don't like ESB, it's that I don't care for statements like, "most people think ESB is the best star wars movie", or "all stars was dialogue is awful." Says who? "

Says them. :)

ESB is overrated IMHO. It gets a free pass on Star Wars forums as a friend pointed to me. Many simply say "Oh it's the best" etc. and it is just accepted. They are entitled to their opinions, and I agree with them, but if you went over ESB with a fine tooth comb like everyone is with AOTC you would find that ESB is not perfect. No movie is. If anything, ANH is the most underrated Star Wars film because of the love affair with ESB, IMHO.
  7. tchack20 Jedi Padawan

I completely disagree. Empire strikes back is posibily the best film ever made, besides the legondary 7 sameri. if any of the movies are over rated i would have to say AOTC.
  8. tchack20 Jedi Padawan

I completely disagree. ESB is a great film, almost equaly amazing as The 7 Sameri. I would also like to contradict what Lazarious said. ANH was great. the light saber sequence isnt crapy if u think about it. two great masters dueling it out. They know fancy moves wont defete the other, so they must win with the basics.
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I would have to go with AOTC...eventhough I liked this movie, I still don't see why everyone thinks it's the best. Like others said...the characters were flat and most of the dialogue was bad.
  10. TheVioletBurns Force Ghost

star 4
    ESB gets the crown. :D

I still love the movie a ton, but it's put on way too much of a pedastal.
  11. AgentCoop Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, ESB is put on a pedestal because it's a great film. It's the best written, the best directed, the most beautifully photographed, the most well-acted film in the series. The characterization, plot, pacing, dialogue and music are all top-notch. Not just by "Star Wars" standards, either, but by filmmaking standards in general. It's a beautiful, engaging, engrossing, moving and mature film. It dares to break away from the "Star Wars" formula and strive to become something greater. And it succeeds spectacularly.

TPM, by far, is the most overrated "Star Wars" film. It, too, attempts to break out of the formula (though not nearly as dramatically) and fails miserably. It's a Pokemon cartoon parading around and calling itself "Star Wars".

A lot of those who name TPM as the "best" film also like to lash out at ESB, and I think the reason is that if TPM is your idea of what "Star Wars" is supposed to be like then ESB must come off as a tad slow and stodgy. Ultimately, some people think "The Godfather" is a great film while other people think "The Mummy Returns" is a great film.

There's no accounting for taste.
  12. TheVioletBurns Force Ghost

star 4
    People have named TPM as the best? Well that's interesting. It seems to be the most actively put down and criticized, so I don't see how it can be overrated, but ah...maybe I haven't read around enough.
  13. PloKloon1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    TPM the most overrated? Nah, it's easily the most underrated, IMO. :)
  14. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTJ is, in my opinion, the most overated. rehashed plot, out of character-ness, rushed, waaay too many marketing shills, his sister?! etc.

TPM is the most underated. It's not that good, but it's certainly not that bad...X_X
  15. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    Empire is the most overrated. When I was younger it used to be my favorite, but after coming to these boards and reading people proclaim it as their savior I started to look at it in a different light. Needless to say, I don't like it as much anymore.

Anyway, Empire would be nothing without A New Hope's introduction and Jedi's conclusion. It definately IS NOT the best movie ever made, it's only one part of an unfinished 13 hour movie.
  16. Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, ESB is put on a pedestal because it's a great film. It's the best written, the best directed, the most beautifully photographed, the most well-acted film in the series. The characterization, plot, pacing, dialogue and music are all top-notch. Not just by "Star Wars" standards, either, but by filmmaking standards in general. It's a beautiful, engaging, engrossing, moving and mature film. It dares to break away from the "Star Wars" formula and strive to become something greater. And it succeeds spectacularly.

Yes, but it's not perfect. I'm sure if you wanted to you could find a bunch of problems with ESB. ESB may be great, but it is touted as being perfect, and as many have said, it's assumed by many people that it is objectively the best. If you said TPM was your favorite, people would make you explain why in detail. If you said ROTJ or AOTC, people would accept, but would still ask. If you said ANH, people would still compare it to ESB. If you said ESB was your favorite, people wouldn't question it. Look at the OT forum some time. You'll see several posts about problems with ROTJ, quite a few about problems with ANH, but only a couple about ESB. This is not because ESB is problem free. No movie is. It's because no one wants to question the almighty ESB. Once in a while, someone who dislikes it will post why. I like these threads because they offer such a refreshing change of opinion. It gets boring to hear again and again, "ESB is the greatest", "This isn't nearly as good as ESB", "Star Wars went downhill after ESB".

This is especially true with bashers. I swear, they compare every SW movie to ESB. They assume people agree with them that ESB is the best. They assume that they can use it as some objective way of measuring movies.

This is why, although ESB is my favorite, it is still way overrated.
  17. Twelve_Motion Jedi Master

star 4
    How could you overate Star Wars? :_|
  18. George15 Jedi Master

star 4
    All hail the almighty ESB! 8-}

I'd have to say ANH, because its like number 10(not sure of the exact rank)on AFI's all time greatest films list.

19. Scout_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree completely with TheVioletBurns. I do like ESB but there's countless people I know who worship it like it's the Messiah. I really love the Hoth scenes in ESB and every scene with Yoda (he rules!) and the Lightsaber Duel is very neat (espcially at the Core). However I overall found it boring. It was much too slow-paced for me, and the action sequences (aside from the Hoth Battle and Lightsaber Duel) while not bad, were average at best. I was also kind of disappointed with Han (I loved how he got Leia and all but he was kind of a weakling when he was captured by Vader. I know Han can fight better than that!).

On the subject of most underrated, definitely ROTJ. For me it had the best action sequences of all the movies (I love the Skiff Fight, Speeder Bike Chase, Endor Strike, and the Lightsaber Duel as well as the Space scenes) and it was much faster-paced than ESB. Plus Han started kicking butt again and I really liked Jabba, the Rancor, and (of course) the Scout Troopers. I also love the music track "The Darkside Beckons", what great music!

Again, this is only my opinion, I don't speak for everyone nor the masses, this is only my point of view of things.
  20. stone_jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    AOTC is the most overrated, especially because, even though I enjoyed it a lot on the first viewing, the more times I watched it, the more bored I got (and I only saw it 3 times).

ESB and ANH are equal in my book. I love them both! :)

21. TheBruceroy Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would have to say ESB is the most overrated. What is going on with all these people (including some major newspapers and magazines) saying "Everyone knows ESB was the best in the series" as if it's some kind of fact?

That's opinion, not fact, and NOT everyone agrees with that opinion. I love ESB and it's a great installment in the series, but in my opinion ANH is (and will always be) the greatest.

For some reason, it's become trendy to rate ESB above the others, but there are tons of people around who prefer ANH, ROTJ, and AOTC... I don't personally know anyone who prefers TPM but I'm sure they're out there somewhere too!

So, EVEN THOUGH I THINK ESB IS ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME, I think it gets a disproportional amount of lip service, and is therefore the most overrated.

22. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Many people didn't like AOTC, and it will be the lowest grossing film of the series (adjusted).

Many people didn't like ESB, and it was the lowest grossing film of the series for a long time.

On the other hand...many people loved AOTC, and it will probably finish its gross at $300 mil, which is nothing to sneeze at.
  23. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I love ESB, it is my favorite of the SW films, but I think it is overrated. People put it on a pedestal and treat it like it's holy. And bashers like to hold it up as an example of how Lucas sucks; they claim he had no involvement with ESB, and that's why it's good.

Actually, Lucas talked every day on the phone with Kershner, visited the set, and was as involved as one could possibly be long distance when he was in California.

I think Kershner is overrated. He is not some genius who turned straw into gold. He's a good director who was given wonderful material, and was up to the task. Lucas obviously had faith in him (despite what the bashers would have you believe; they'd like you to think that Lucas and Kershner hated each other) because he stood up for him when the studio expressed reservations about an "old" director helming a film aimed at kids. He also asked Kershner to direct ROTJ. Kershner said no.

Where am I getting this info, you (bashers) may ask? From Kershner's own lips, in the UK SW Insider ESB 20th Anniversary Issue.

"ESB is the best! It's the greatest! It's perfect!" is like the party line that many people repeat without thinking. I'd be willing to bet that many of these worshippers of ESB fast-forward through about two-thirds of the movie whenever they watch it.
  24. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Most underrated of the movies? TPM, by a long shot. Its party line is like the inverse of ESB: people parrot the "It's the worst! It sucks! Everyone hated it!" line without thinking.

I'd be willing to bet that many members of the TPM-sucks crowd liked it a lot more than they're letting on.
  25. Darth Kruel Jedi Master

star 4
    There's nothing overrated about any SW film. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I luv all the SW movies. It's hard for me to divide them up into indivuals. I'm a hardchore STARWARS fan!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.