Most popular sport

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    I was just thinking about that in different countries different sports are popular. For example in Germany football and formula 1 is the most popular sport, followed by tennis and athletics. In the USA basketball and baseball are very known if they aren't even the most popular sports.

So what kind of sport is the most popular sport in your country? What kind of sport do you think is the most popular in other countries?

It would be interesting to get opinions from inside and outside, because it might be different what people think who live in a country and who don't live there. Maybe you think that the most popular sport in Germany is playing yo-you. ;) :p
  2. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I think here it would have to be Australian Rules football. Almost everyone has a team and I believe the league has the third-highest average attendance in the world (behind only the NFL and the Bundesliga). Nothing else really comes close.
  3. Everton Force Ghost

star 10
    Well Football in the UK, and Europe.

But maybe worldwide... perhaps Fishing?
  4. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    american football is definitely the most popular sport in the united states.
  5. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I definitely agree with KW there. On the rise as a second would be NASCAR.
  6. EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Master

star 5
    I agree that American football is the most popular, but do you guys feel it's college or the NFL?

The last couple years has seen CFB on the rise and I think the generic look of the NFL is starting to hurt it. Personally I enjoy CFB far more than the NFL.
  7. JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling

star 2
    With out Doubt: America's past time, Baseball (IMO).
  8. Armenian_Jedi Jedi Master

star 7
    baseball isn't even close to being the most popular sport in america...

9. Boba_Fett_2001 Force Ghost

star 8
  10. darth_nemisis Jedi Master

star 6
    Around here, most people like college football...I am more of an NFL fan myself. So, I don't know if college or NFL would the most popular.
  11. Drac39 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    American Football in the US. Soccer/Football everywhere else
  12. JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "Around here, most people like college football...I am more of an NFL fan myself. So, I don't know if college or NFL would the most popular."

I think it's about the same. I give the NFL the slight edge though. By the way, that was just my opinion, Jedi.
  13. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    I have a hard time telling between College and NFL in the US. I don't really pay much attention to college (my school doesn't have a football team, but we have rugby :p and a really good women's soccer team). I root for Mizzou but don't really follow the games that closely. So I'm biased because I follow the NFL religiously.

But I still think NFL probably has more viewership.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  14. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    In Australia, Australian Rules Football is our most watched sport, but Soccer and Netball are our most played sports, whilst Cricket is our biggest international sport.
  15. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    With out Doubt: America's past time, Baseball

[face_laugh]
    Baseball still hasn't recovered from when the league went on strike. Same with Hockey. (Although Hockey hasn't ever been near the following of the NFL).

I would say its about even between College and Professional Football here in the US. I know many people who only follow one and many people who follow both.
  16. DarkPrince Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I only wish hockey was popular in the US as it is in Canada. :(

Although, I would agree that football is huge here but I think college football is more exciting then the NFL unless it's the playoffs.
  17. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight

star 5
    The NFL has had a pretty spectacular rise to dominance, thanks in large part to the window opened by the MLB's decline in 1994.
  18. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    And how about basketball? NBA? I thought that is the most popular or at least it is infront of Nascar. That's pretty interesting. :eek:
  19. Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Angling is the most popular sport in the UK (possibly in the world).

Then it has to be Football if you consider how many people play and watch the game. Think of Saturday and Sunday leagues, semi-pro and the professional game. If you have ever experienced Sunday league football with a pub team you will know the dedication it takes to play a non-skills based version of the beautiful game with a hangover!

Then we shouldn't forget sporting activities such as jogging/running and "gym" based activities.
  20. Obi Anne FF manager Celebrations

Manager
    star 7
    In Sweden it's definetly football and ice hockey. Then I'd say that skiing, bandy, handball and track and fields. Floorball is one of the most played sports, but it seems to be more popular to play it as excercise than to follow the leagues in it.
  21. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I would agree that NASCAR is ahead of NBA. Its hard to explain why this is, possibly because the attraction of violent crashes brings in more people than a bunch of tall guys shooting hoops. I would say that it depends on where you are. I would argue that city people watch more of NBA and the "country" people follow NASCAR. I would turn on NASCAR before turning on an NBA game. However, I would turn on College Basketball before turning on NBA also. I think its like hockey though...the season is long and with to many games so its only exciting when playoffs come around. I feel this way about baseball too. (I don't like baseball at all though and think it would be much more interesting with a bull running loose on the field.)
  22. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight

star 5
    The NBA had a great golden age during Jordan's playing career, but has had a lot of PR problems the last four years or so (that is why David Stern has tightened players' liberties considerably in that time span). Granted, some of the negative stigma attached with the league is unfounded, but that is for another discussion regarding racial relations in this country.

23. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    I think college basketball is more popular than NBA, though NBA has been bouncing back lately. 5 years ago, though, you could barely find an NBA player who could dribble the ball without travelling. The game was sloppy and boring. I still find college more interesting, but NBA has gotten better.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  24. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight

star 5
    Keep in mind the NBA recently created an age minimum to make sure American players get some college experience and hone their skills, so that account for some improved quality of play.
  25. Drew_Atreides Jedi Master

star 5
    Eh, i think it's because your average county-Joe is better able to relate to the drivers in NASCAR then they are the players in the NBA.

Alot of NASCAR's popularity stems from the likeability factor of their drivers. Jim Rome always points this out, just how courteous and genuine the drivers our (most are GOOD OLE' COUNTRY BOYS themselves). They're always ontime for interviews and never do much of anything outside of the track that generates any negative publicity.

I'm Canadian, by the way, and far and away HOCKEY is *THE* sport. It's in our blood.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.