main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most popular sport

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Maybe it's just because I'm in California where NASCAR is all but irrelevant, but I still consider it a niche sport. In fact, I don't even consider it a sport. It's a motorsport. It's a totally different audience. Shows like Around the Horn and PTI don't even talk about NASCAR because it's part of a totally seperate sphere.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    About motorsports, for me it is some kind of half-sport, but normally it is added to sports. ;)

It's really interesting that college sport is more popular/important than NBA. I get to know the NBA when Micheal 'Air' Jordon had his big time. Although I know that college sport in the USA is more important than in Germany, I haven't thought that it is even more important than the NBA.

How does the college sport work? Are the country-wide competitions? Can the players live from the money they earn through college sport? Do they have enough time to study and finish college? What are they doing after finishing college? Going to the NBA? :confused:

Obi-Ann, I thought skiing would be the most popular sport in Sweden/Finland/Norway. ;)
    Interesting! :)

How about other countries? How about France? China? Japan? Africa? Is anyone around from these (or other) countries? :)

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Are the country-wide competitions?
    Most definitely, probably the basketball and football competitions are the highest profile and attract massive interest.

Can the players live from the money they earn through college sport?
    As far as I'm aware they can't earn any money (officially, though they do get scholarships and other things.)

Do they have enough time to study and finish college?
    Everyone has to be enrolled in class at the college they play for. That's why a great many pro players will have college degrees (usually in things such as 'Communications':p)

What are they doing after finishing college? Going to the NBA?

If they're good enough, they travel to pro leagues, if not...well, they do what everyone else does after college. They get a job.

4. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    There are tons of college football teams. 119 Division 1-A to be exact, and there are at least three divisions that I'm aware of.

College basketball has even more teams because basketball is a much cheaper sport for a college to finance and support.

As far as CFB or the NFL, I have to say that I find college to be vastly more interesting. Different offenses, different defenses, and the chance at a genuine upset that just doesn't happen in the NFL. The pros all run the same pro-style offense while most run a basic 4-3 defense. I love watching a game where a traditional college powerhouse has to try and run the ball on a stiff 4-4 or 3-3-5, makes for a change of pace.

CFB also has the option[face_love]

5. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Here in Germany, we have some competition of university sports, but they are almost unknown and everything than important. But the level must be good as well, although it isn't as high as in the popular competitions. So it is really interesting to hear about college sport.

But how do they manage to live when they spend all their time on college and doing their sport? There can't be left enough time to go work. :confused:

(And thanks for all the answers. :D)

6. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think in the US there is a lot of regional differences in preferences.
    For example, I live in New York (Manhattan) and here Baseball is still #1, though both the NFL and NBA are very, very popular. Up here there aren't too many NASCAR fans, though if you go down South, you will find that NASCAR is probably #1 and there just isn't the same interest in baseball. If you have ever been in midwestern towns like Green Bay or Chicago, the NFL is definitely king of pro sports.

As for NFL vs. NCAA football, I think that in recent years older fans have moved to the college game, as so much NFL culture seems aimed at younger viewers, it seems more and more like pro wrestling every season with players like Tyrell Owens and Jeremy Shockey. I still like the NFL but find myself becoming more and more of a College Football fan; also because the college game is getting better and better with more NFL coaches bringing NFL systems to the game (Pete Carroll at SC, Weiss at Notre Dame, etc.). They are certainly both ultra popular.

I lived in Italy for three years and there was really only one sport: soccer (football).

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I doubt they need to work that much. They don't have to pay for college or living expenses because they'll likely have a full scholarship from the university, which can include tuition, fees, books, room and board.

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, I see. Thanks, Marcus. :)

It makes sense, that there are regional differences, because the USA is a really large country. But is there a general favorite for the regions? I mean, do most of the southern parts prefer NASCAR and the nothern more baseball? Or is it a real mixture, nothing that can described with north/south or east/west?

Is it only soccer in Italy? :eek:

9. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Or Agriculture classes, thus the reason half of the class I TA for is made up of athletes (basketball and football).

Skiara in response to your question about how they manage to do it all, its all about time management. When I was in college, I was Captain of the equestrian team (so I rode every day, cleaned stalls, took care of two horses), Director of Standards and Ethics for my sorority which is a board position so a lot of extra meeting and extra responsibilities, and also was a resident advisor (I lived in a dorm and was in charge of my floor plus desk hours, developing programs for the dorm, etc). This was all in the same year and I still got a 4.0 (straight A's). Its all about time management. For these guys here, their day is pretty much planned out by the team, even down to study hours.

10. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    As a Finn I'll answer this: No. At least in Finland the most popular sports are ice hockey and various motor sports, most notably Formula 1 and Rally driving. Then comes various winter sports such as skiing (cross-country and downhill), skijumping or snowboarding.

Overall, Football (as in soccer) is definitely the most popular sport in the world in large.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    here in the deep south, CFB is a lot more popular than pro. No one really gets into the Panthers or Falcons as much.

Worldwide: #1 is soccer(football) #2 is Tennis, alomst every country in the world (not really including Africa) has at least 1 pro tennis player

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, you've done really much, Horsey! :eek:

It's true that you can manage to do a lot through time management, but even then time is limited - a day has only 24 hours. And sometimes young people get other interests like boys or girls. ;)

Durron, formula1 is important? But... how do they train when it snows or the temperature gets cold/icy? I mean, I heard that it already snowed in Sweden (and so in Finland I guess).

What is CFB, rechedelphar? :confused:

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    CFB = College FootBall.

14. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    My guesses are:
    France: Football
    China: Football
    Japan: Baseball
    Africa: Football... again :p

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out ^^

15. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    The Mets and Yankees combined drew 7.5 million fans last year. Baseball is on an upward swing and while I don't think it's ever going to be as popular as it was, it's still the second most popular sport in the country.

But, regionalization has to be considered, so in the NY area:

1. Baseball (NY will ALWAYS be a baseball city)
    2. Football (NFL, NY has no college football teams. Sorry, Rutgers)
    3. Basketball (although the Nets are always a joke no matter how well they do and the Knicks are currently a joke)
    4. Hockey (3 teams and some of the best rivalries)
    5. College Basketball
    6. Tennis
    7. Softball
    8. Soccer

111. Jai Ali
    112. NASCAR (which will NEVER succeed in NYC because NYers hate southerners and NASCAR is thee ultimate southern sport.)

16. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    But things will undoubtedly change if the Nets can finally move to Brooklyn, Yodave.

17. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

I can't speak for other college sports, but football players take a majority of their classes in the spring and summer.

18. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Oh, yeah. But I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of that move. Things in NY take forever with the layers of beurocracy.

19. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I would say Basketball is the most popular in China

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Bureaucracy, one of the best options to slow down things... [face_plain]

China's most favorite is basketball or football? How did you get this feeling? I have no idea about China.

21. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Meh football did have an explosion in popularity thanks to World Cup 2002. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened in Australia.

22. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Probably Baseball or Football for the US, but my personal favorite is Baseball

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.