main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most powerful Jedi/Sith

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Summers1913, May 14, 2014.

1. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    That's what I mean of course. I'm talking about the Obi-Wan in TPM.

2. The Thought Bomb

The Thought Bomb Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2014
    If we're not just considering the movies, I'd say my top list of both sith and jedi are as follows:

Sith:
    1. Darth Bane. Mentioned as the Sith'ari. An ancient legend of the strongest sith who would rise above the others. In his youth Bane were a student at Korriban where he encountered a fellow student in battle. Bane first was defeated, by the other a Zabrak by the name of Sirak. Sirak was at the time considered to be the strongest and therefore many believed him to be the Sith'ari. When Bane returned to the duelling ring to get his revenge he nearly killed the Zabrak to some enjoyment of the Blademaster Kas'im. Bane were also a great warrior. When he was in his Orbasilisk Armor he was completely protected from any sort of weapon, even lightsabers couldn't penetrate the shells of the creatures covering his body. This allowed him to have an agressive fighting technique and considering his forcelightning abilities he were more than a handfull for any sort of opponent.

2. Darth Sidious. Even though he killed his master in his sleep, yes the apprentice he speaks of in ROTS is himself, he shows so much cunning and manipulation that he is truly one of the strongest. Also there is a discussion to be had wether he intentionally lost the battle to Mace Windu, so as to present Anakin with the final choice he has to make. To do what he know is right, or to give in to the dark side.

3. Darth Andeddu. Darth Andeddu possesed the alternative to external life. In his holocron resides the secret of The Essence Transfer. Even after his death his followers were so devoted to him they stayed and guarded his tomb as they saw him as a god.

Jedi:
    1. Anakin Skywalker. The one with the greatest potential ever. Created by the Midiclorians, created by the force, in order to bring balance. Though manipulated by the dark side in order to serve on that side of the force, he ultimately returns to the light side as so fulfilling his true destiny and thus bringing balance to the force. I personally very much enjoy TCW were I learned a lot more about Anakin's personality and how even though he possesses great power he makes up for it in pride and arrogance. This always causes him to act recklessly and furthermore it gives a greater view of why Anakin is so frustrated with the councel in ROTS. It shows more and more how Anakin's way of seeing things often conflicts with the Jedi Councel.

2. Luke Skywalker. The catalyst for Vader's "death" and Anakin's return to the ligth side.

3. Yoda. The wisest and most powerfull of the Jedi, his potential power isn't as strong as Anakin's. But because of Dooku cutting off Anakins right arm from elbow down, and the ultimate change into Darth Vader, Anakin never fullfills his true potential. But one thing's for sure. Everyone who has been taught by Yoda, has turned out very powerfull.

3. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    It's worth remembering when looking at the outcomes of the duels in these movies that there is another factor: the objectives of the combatants.

For example, Maul is given a lot of credit for being able to take on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan simultaneously, and he deserves some credit. That can't be easy. But don't forget the Jedi's mission parameters. "Uncover the identity of this dark warrior. This is the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the Sith." You can't interrogate a corpse. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were trying to make an arrest, so their strategy was to fight carefully and wear Maul down until they could disarm and subdue him. When Obi-Wan was knocked to a lower level, you immediately see Qui-Gon pick up the intensity. He can't afford to hold back so much, even at the risk of killing his target. But even then, Qui-Gon is still thinking "arrest, don't kill." When Qui-Gon falls, Obi-Wan forgets about the idea of arrest entirely and lays into Maul with everything he's got.

Maul, on the other hand, is fighting to kill from the jump.

It's a pattern that repeats itself over and over again. The Jedi rarely enter into a fight with the intention to kill, especially when they outnumber their opponent. Even when dealing with Sith Lords, the goal is capture rather than kill. Unfortunately, this tends to get them into trouble. The four masters who confronted Palpatine probably thought that they were making such an overwhelming display of force that they wouldn't even really need to fight. Who in their right mind would single-handledly attack four Council Masters?

Fatal mistake.

So I don't put too much weight on 2 on 1 battles. The Jedi just aren't that good at ganging up on someone, mostly because they become overly conservative.

4. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I think Maul was easily superior to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in TPM. I also disagree with any list that has Anakin Skywalker #1 based on his potential. How many head case athletes are there out there who flop because they can't get it together mentally while many others with less talent go on to Hall of Fame careers? Anakin was the ultimate head case.

5. roguesquadpod

roguesquadpod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2014
    Yes this makes a lot of sense. Potential doesn't equal out to being the most powerful. Anakin would have been the most powerful if he didn't get injured by Obi-Wan. I always thought Darth Sidious was the most powerful Sith IMO, Yoda obviously the most powerful Jedi. In addition, Darth Maul was for sure stronger than Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon as he took them both on at the same time and handled himself well until he was surprised at the end and got cut in half.

Erkan12 likes this.
  6. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    In other words, don't take moments of PIS and CIS too seriously. XD

Like Obi-Wan and Vos losing against Cad Bane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SoSayqv1TVI#t=16

Or Obi-Wan struggling to beat Pre Vizsla
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Vtj5YxDcCk#t=52

Or Maul struggling to beat Pre Vizsla despite the former's ability to move faster than a regular human eye can follow.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zEu_U78XFg4#t=44

Or Obi-Wan beating Anakin via CIS

Or Anakin struggling to beat Clovis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mNFV4jr5fC4#t=18

And about Maul, the way it's said in the fight made it seem like they were no match for him:

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan closed with the Sith Lord in a clash of lightsabers that produced the shriek of diamond-edged saw blades cutting through metal. Wheeling across the center of the hangar, the combatants lunged and parried, attack and counterattack carried out in a fierce, no-holds-barred, no-quarter - given struggle. The Sith Lord was supple and quick, and he worked his way between the Jedi with confidence and ease, whipping his two-ended lightsaber back and forth between them, more than holding his own against their efforts to bring him down. He was skilled, Anakin saw-more skilled, perhaps, than the men he faced. And he was confident in a way that was disturbing. He would not be overcome easily.
    Qui-Gon Jinn was one of the most able swordsmen in the Jedi order. The Jedi Master he had trained under had considered him one of the best the Master had taught in his more than four hundred years in the order. Qui-Gon had fought in conflicts all across the galaxy in the span of his life and against odds so great that many others would not have stood a chance. He had survived battles that had tested his skill and resolve in every conceivable way.
    But on this day, he had met his match. The Sith Lord he battled with Obi-Wan was more than his equal in weapons training, and he had the advantage of being younger and stronger. Qui-Gon was nearing sixty; his youth was behind him and his strength was beginning to diminish. His edge now, to the extent that he had one, came from his long experience and intuitive grasp of how an adversary might employ a lightsaber against him.
    Obi-Wan brought youth and stamina to the combat, but he had fought in only a few contests and was not battle hardened. Together, they were able to hold their own against the Sith Lord, but their efforts at attack, at assuming the offensive against this dangerous adversary, were woefully inadequate.

The Phantom Menace
    Really not too much implication of them holding back. And Obi-Wan as already said, went all out and got beat, and later killed Maul cause of CIS.

I'm going to safely say that fight was pretty much all out and Maul ended up winning.

Erkan12 likes this.
  7. The Bacca that Chews

The Bacca that Chews Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2016
    I didn't come up with this theory, but the theory says that Obi Wan is actually the most powerful Jedi in Star Wars because he was the first person to defeat a Sith in like 1000 years and he could've killed Anakin (the chosen one), but he chose not to. He just left him to burn. There are more details, but I don't want to go into a lot of details.

Kenobi1138 likes this.
  8. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Without a shadow of doubt, the most powerful Jedi/Sith in Star Wars were:

1. Emperor Palpatine: completely untouchable.
    2. Yoda: one of the greatest Jedi to have ever lived.
    3. Dooku: combines power and experience of both sides of the force.
    4. Mace Windu: controversial being fourth, but he didn't defeat the Emperor, he got his ass handed to him by Yoda in a spar, he almost led a group of Jedi to their deaths in AOTC. Over-exaggerated abilities but still powerful, nevertheless.
    5. Pong Krell... I believe he could be much higher on this list had we seen more of him.
    6. Darth Vader: strong with the force and had great defence with a lightsaber.

9. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think Krell deserves to be so high, he has never been stated to be one of the best in the order.

10. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

I agree with the fact we haven't seen a lot of him, but, if you seen his skills as a duelist; they are nearly unparalleled. He is also incredibly strong with the force, not only in combat but in enlightenment as well. Watch this:

11. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I've gotta go with Anakin Skywalker on this one. The sheer amount of bad-assery he portrayed in the prequels is unreal. He is headstrong, powerful, skillful, and would have been unstoppable if he hadn't fought Obi-wan under such emotional stress. I honestly think throughout the whole Battle of the Heroes, Anakin was winning, but made a foolish mistake, like he often does.

So, my vote goes to the ultimate dark lord in training, Anakin Skywalker.

Nanaki likes this.
  12. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    There is not enough on Luke to say that anymore.

Sidious, let him. He has to have Anakin choose.

Considering Dooku beat him like he was nothing, that is obviously not the case. Even the in the clone wars, Anakin had to save when they come up against him.

13. The Bacca that Chews

The Bacca that Chews Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2016
    I haven't seen all of the Clone Wars, but I am trying to finish it, and yeah I guess Dooku did beat him up

14. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Canon:
    Jedi: Yoda. He matched the most powerful Sith in a force battle.

Had Dooku, who stomped Obi-Wan multiple times and held his own against Anakin and Obi-Wan multiple times, on the run.

Sith: Sidious. Toyed with Maul and Savage and was master to every Sith during the Clone Wars and Empire eras.

Blitzed two Jedi Masters and overwhelmed a third while fighting Mace within mere seconds. Almost overwhelmed Mace and his lightsaber with force lightning.

Legends:
    Jedi: Grandmaster Luke. Walks on lava. Saw light-speed ships going in slow motion. Communicated with several Jedi across the galaxy telepathically. You get the picture.

Sith: Dark Empire Sidious. Matched Yoda, the most powerful Jedi up to his death. Then went on to become stronger after ROTJ. Created Force Storms that can ravage planet surfaces and destroy armies.

Singing Yoda, HevyDevy and Darth Dnej like this.
  15. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I'm going with movies only and I'm pretty confident in my answers here:

1. Yoda, Sidious, Mace Windu (tie). All 3 are very close to equal power in my opinion. You can debate all you want about Mace vs Palpatine but either way it was very close. Likewise Yoda vs Palpatine was very close. The reason Yoda retreated was because he'd lost his weapon and the high ground. He went into exile because it was Palpatine and the entire army of the Republic vs Yoda and very few jedi. Also note that Palpatine never made a move when Yoda and Mace were both alive as he knew the two of them combined were too powerful to deal with. It was only after Mace went down that he made a move.

4. Anakin/Vader. He had the potential to be the strongest ever but never made it that far due to grievous injures. He was also the only jedi other than Yoda or Mace that could defeat Dooku. The fact that he could defeat Dooku while Obi-Wan was constantly owned by Dooku puts him higher than Obi Wan despite Mustafar. Also note that Obi Wan was on the defensive and barely surviving most of that fight until Anakin/Vader made a mistake.

5. Dooku. Could nearly hang with Yoda but retreated. Defeated by Anakin putting him at #5.

6. Darth Maul. The fact that he could take on 2 jedi at once and he soundly defeated Obi Wan before making a stupid mistake.

7. Obi Wan / Luke Skywalker. Obi Wan defeated Greivous and simply by being very defensive and not dumb defeated Anakin/Vader and Maul. I think both Vader and Maul were more powerful but Obi Wan was wiser. This thread is about most powerful though so Obi Wan is lower than Vader or Maul. As for Luke it's really hard to place him ROTJ Luke defeated an old and fading Vader but I think ROTS Obi Wan could have as well. We haven't seen what Luke can do in Episode 8 so he may move higher on this list.

100. Kylo Ren. Dude it took you way too long to finish a complete noob non force user and then you lost to a noob.

Togrutan_Jedi likes this.
  16. Singing Yoda

Singing Yoda Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2016
    Guess this all depends on whether we're talking about Canon but since there are so many great characters in EU I'll venture beyond. On the Sith side there's a really good list cover the 15 Most Powerful Sith in the Star Wars Universe.

Here are the top 5:

5. Exar Kun
    4. Darth Plagueis
    3. Marka Ragnos
    2. Lord Vitiate
    1. Darth Sidious

Honorable Mention: Darth Jar Jar Binks (because that would be awesome)

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Mace, in the words of George Lucas, overpowered Palpatine, who bested Yoda. Mace is the most powerful. Case closed. Isn't it?

18. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    George said that? I thought Sheev was just pretending to lose because he sensed Anakin.

DarthEndus likes this.
  19. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I still think Palpatine threw the fight because he sensed Anakin coming and wanted to manipulate wbose side he took.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

DarthEndus likes this.
  20. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Even if you only look at the films, it's very difficult to say for sure. I'm basing my answer off the movies only (the things that happen in The Clone Wars are frankly ridiculous). Characters ranked based on what I consider to be their peaks.

1. Mace Windu (peak: AOTC/ROTS)

Possibly a controversial call, but I think he legitimately overpowered Sidious who greatly underestimated Mace's strength. Fortunately for everyone's favourite Dark Lord Anakin arrived to save him anyway.

2. Darth Sidious (peak: ROTS/ROTJ)

Narrowly defeated by Mace Windu but generally held the upper hand in his bout against Yoda.

3. Yoda (peak: AOTC/ROTS)

Was competitive but ultimately outmatched by Sidious. Clearly better than Dooku however.

4. Anakin Skywalker (peak: ROTS - I'm going with the theory that he was severely limited by his suit and never truly recovered from Mustafar)

Separating Dooku, Obi-Wan and Anakin is difficult. I'd suggest that Anakin is the most powerful but also arrogant and very lacking in discipline, which is why Obi-Wan, who makes up for his inferior natural ability with experience, restraint, and cunning, is able to narrowly defeat him at the end of ROTS. I don't know if there are any cricket fans around here but the difference between Anakin and Obi-Wan is like the difference between Virat Kohli and Alistair Cook. Kohli is far more naturally talented than Cook but his arrogance regularly brings about his downfall, while Cook knows his limits and works within them to have a great deal of success. But on his day, Kohli is infinitely more destructive than Cook will ever be.

5. Count Dooku (peak: AOTC/ROTS)

Dooku takes on Anakin and Obi-Wan at the same time in ROTS and looks pretty comfortable for most of the fight, knocking Obi-Wan out of the duel with ease. But a focused Anakin ultimately finishes him handily with a burst of brilliance.

6. Obi-Wan Kenobi (peak: ROTS)

Yes, he beats Anakin and Maul. But he also gets smoked twice by Dooku. His victory on Mustafar comes down to canniness and cunning rather than skill or power. This is not to say that he isn't a fine duelist - with time I I'd like to think he could've reached the top echelon. But for whatever reason he seemed to diminish rather than grow following ROTS.

7. Darth Maul (peak: TPM)

He beats Qui-Gon, but is defeated by a very young Obi-Wan. Yeah, it was a bit of a fluke but Obi-Wan very nearly defeated him before that - their one-on-one was very evenly matched. Assuming that Obi-Wan goes on to greatly improve his abilities, which I think is a safe assumption, then poor Maul finds himself somewhere near the bottom.

8. Qui-Gon Jinn (peak: TPM)

Outmatched by Maul throughout the movie. This one is pretty clear cut.

The great difficulty with this is where to place Luke. I'm just going to leave him out because I don't think there are any useful points of comparison. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say that by the end of ROTJ he probably sits a rung below Obi-Wan - powerful but very lacking in sword training. I'm not even going to try to place Kylo and Rey.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

/thread

22. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    1. Sidious
    2. Yoda
    3. Mother Talzin ( I know she's not a Sith, but a powerful Darkside user. Sidious was afraid of her power, it wasn't until she gave up some of her power to bring maul back that she would be defeated.)
    4. Windu
    5. Anakin
    6. Luke
    7. Dooku
    8. Obi-Wan
    9. Darth Maul
    10. Qui-Gon

I wonder how powerful Darth Bane would have been.

23. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Just taking canon into consideration, without Father, Son and Daughter:

First tier
    1. Darth Sidious
    2. Yoda
    3. Mace Windu
    4. Mother Talzin

Most of these four have fought each other evenly.

Second tier
    5. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
    6. Count Dooku
    7. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    8. Luke Skywalker
    9. Ahsoka Tano
    10. Darth Maul

Third tier
    11. Asajj Ventress
    12. Savage Opress
    13. Kit Fisto
    14. Qui-Gon Jinn
    15. Kanan Jarrus
    16. The Grand Inquisitor

24. If we count the Legends Universe the most powerful Jedi is the grandmaster Luke Skywalker and most powerful Sith is Darth Vitiate the Sith Emperor

And now if we count only the movies the most powerful Jedi will be between Luke/Anakin/Obi-Wan/Mace Windu/ and the most powerful Sith in the movies wil be between Sidious/Snoke/Count Dooku/Vader/ and Kylo maybe

25. listrie

listrie Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that the most powerful Jedi and the most powerful Sith is both Anakin "Darth" Vader... He still brought balance to the force! When he was a Jedi, he was the awesomest Jedi and when he was a Sith he was the awesomest Sith! But Yoda probably has the best knowledge of the force, then Obi Wan, because those 3 came back at the end of Return of the Jedi... So those would be the three best Jedi. The Sith are bad but they are powerful, I would say the Emperor probably, because he lasted longer than the other Sith!