main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Powerful part now that you've watched all six films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bravo, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    What is the most powerful part of the entire Star Wars Saga? Which part of which movie had you almost in tears...or which part had the most, deepest meaning out of the whole Star Wars Saga?

As an example, I'll give you mine.

OBI-WAN: (continuing) . . . You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would, destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness.

OBI-WAN picks up Anakin's light saber and begins to walk away. He stops and looks back.

ANAKIN: I hate you!

OBI-WAN: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.

ANAKIN'S clothing blows into the lava river and ignites. Suddenly ANAKIN bursts into flames and starts SCREAMING.

And my second favorite is...

EMPEROR
    Young fool...only now, at the end, do you
    understand.

Luke is almost unconscious beneath the continuing assault of the
    Emperor's lightning. He clutches a canister to keep from falling
    into the bottomless shaft as the bolts tear through him.

EMPEROR
    Your feeble skills are no match for the power
    of the dark side. You have paid the price for
    your lack of vision.

Luke writhes on the floor in unbearable pain, reaching weakly up
    toward where Vader stands watching.

LUKE (groans)
    Father, please. Help me.

Again Vader stands, watching Luke. He looks at his master, the
    Emperor, then back to Luke on the floor.

EMPEROR
    Now, young Skywalker...you will die.

Although it would not have seemed possible, the outpouring of
    bolts from the Emperor's fingers actually increases in intensity,
    the sound screaming through the room. Luke's body writhes in
    pain.

Vader grabs the Emperor from behind, fighting for control of the
    robed figure despite the Dark Lord's weakened body and gravely
    weakened arm. The Emperor struggles in his embrace, his bolt-
    shooting hands now lifted high, away from Luke. Now the white
    lightning arcs back to strike at Vader. He stumbles with his load
    as the sparks rain off his helmet and flow down over his black
    cape. He holds his evil master high over his head and walks to
    the edge of the abyss at the central core of the throne room. With
    one final burst of his once awesome strength, Darth Vader hurls
    the Emperor's body into the bottomless shaft.

The Emperor's body spins helplessly into the void, arcing as it
    falls into the abyss. Finally, when the body is far down the
    shaft, it explodes, creating a rush of air through the room.
    Vader's cape is whipped by the wind and he staggers, and
    collapses toward the bottomless hole. Luke crawls to his father's
    side and pulls him away from the edge of the abyss to safety.
    Both the young Jedi and the giant warrior are too weak to move.

And this part is tied with my second favorite...

VADER (a whisper)
    Luke, help me take this mask off.

LURE
    But you'll die.

VADER
    Nothing can stop that now. Just for once...
    let me look on you with my own eyes.

Slowly, hesitantly, Luke removes the mask from his father's face.
    There beneath the scars is an elderly man. His eyes do not focus.
    But the dying man smiles at the sight before him.

ANAKIN (very weak)
    Now...go, my son. Leave me.

LUKE
    No. You're coming with me. I can't leave you
    here. I've got to save you.

ANAKIN
    You already have, Luke. You were right about
    me. Tell your sister...you were right.

LUKE
    Father...I won't leave you.

Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker...Luke's father, dies.

I feel that these are some of the most powerful lines in the Star Wars Saga. The first one, from Esp. III, everytime I watch it...the emotion, the feeling, is unreal...unwritable. It's just...breath taking.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    You know, I've seen ROTJ probably over a hundred times. But after I saw ROTS this scene actually made me tear up.

Also, during ROTS the Order 66 scene makes my throat a bit lumpy.

3. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    I have a hard time being really specific when talking about the end of ROTS, but everything from the birth and Vader rebirth scene to the end is all so powerful.

I suppose now, now that we have seen the saga in its entirety, I can say that I found the adoption scenes to hit really hard. When the camera zooms in on little newborn infant Luke, his whole life kind of flashed before my eyes, and it was overpowering.

I also have to say that Vader saving Luke and his unmasking are equally powerful for me, and imagining these scenes together really makes me thankful for such a well-told epic story.

4. starkiller63

starkiller63 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2005
    Well, the part in RotS when Vader enters the chamber with the younglings, and ignites his lightsaber was fairly gut wrenching. My wife was horrified. My favorite still is when Vader tells Luke he is his father. "That's not true... That's impossible."

5. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I can't decide between these two scenes.

ROTS
    The scene were Anakin and Padme connect spiritually and feel each others pain while Mace and his posse are attempting to arrest Palpatine. Anakin is crying and the fate of the entire galaxy is decided.

ROTJ
    Luke is being fried by Palpatine and cries out for his father to help him. Anakin/Vader is standing there looking at his son, then at the Emperor and then back at Luke. The struggle between Vader and Anakin Skywalker. And then finally Anakin wins, when he realises what he should have done 20 years ago, and kills the Emperor.

6. plokoonkenobi77

plokoonkenobi77 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2005
    the end of the final duel on mustufar

7. Issolde

Issolde Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    The most powerful part to me now is when Anakin's Force ghost appears next to Obi-Wan and Yoda, and Luke sees them and all is well.

8. DarthFrost

DarthFrost Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2002
    TPM: Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi
    AOTC: Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me? - obi to anakin
    ROTS: "Goodbye old friend" - obi to anakin
    The Duel
    You were the chosen one! I HATE YOU! and the pain in obi's eyes as he watches his old
    friend burn.
    Any scene with Anakin and Obi-Wan
    ANH: obi vs. vader
    ESB: I'm your father
    ROTJ: "obi-wan has taught you well"
    Anakin's redemption and becoming one with the force

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    LUKE
    But you'll die.

VADER
    Nothing can stop that now.

A nice contrast to:

ANAKIN
    I'll even learn to stop people from dying!

10. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I'd have to go with Anakin's "I hate you" from Sith.

Dang.

11. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Luke: "Then my father is truly dead."

And then just that shot of Vader... thinking... contemplating...

powerful.

12. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    Durwood man excellent post! I have never caught that. Think it took his character that long to evolve and except death.

My favorite scenes had to be the all the convesation pre and post lightsaber duel on Mustafar and then Vader unveiling the truth his is Lukes father. I will also say the scene that really went from being almost meaningless and a fill in during the OT and grew post PT was Yoda's death scene. It gave it more depth. Now that he has become more peronalized.

13. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Luke at the end of ROTJ - "I'll never turn to the Dark-side, I'm a Jedi like my father before me"

14. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    I'd have to say ROTJ Throne Room Duel. 2 parts of it really stand out now: Luke looking @ his own hand after cutting off Vader's and looking at the mechanical stump.He realizes what he could become if he finished him off (in contrast to Anakin making the wrong choice and cutting Windu's hand off and becoming Sidious' apprentice)..and Vader watching Luke get fried, the turmoil in him as he finally makes the right choice, disposes of Palpatine and fulfills the prophecy. This scene was always strong on it's own merit, bur with the story complete I think it's the most powerful.

Obi-Wan's "You were the chosen one" rant is a close 2nd. This one had me choked up in the theater.

[face_peace]

15. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Many of you have it right.

ROTJ. The entire throne room scene, minus the battles in space and on Endor. Simply, it is the culmination of all six movies. No other scene, in any other episode, is calculated and manufactured up of so much. The dialogue was perfect. The greek origins of family conquering all was profound. And you didn't need fancy dueling. These two force weilders were so powerful that they only used precise blows, more broadsword than anything.

And I will say it again. The music going along with the final duel after Vader tells Luke "sister". Everything from there to Vader tossing Palpatine is so climactic and powerful. The truly unfortunate part is that I am now ruined for all other movies. I now want a big climax, and alas, I am always dissapointed.

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Great point about the music! I was thinking the same thing. When Vader entices/infuriates Luke when talking about his sister, that's when it gets good. The music is extremely moving as the camera follows Father and Son dueling it out across the Throne Room.

17. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I still find the destruction of the first death star to be the most moving of the series; the the editing and music make the tension build and build and then you hold your breath with Luke as he desparately fires the one in a million shot, the only hope, and it goes right in - only when the death star explodes, and you see Luke calm down, do you allow yourself to celebrate with him and remember... the force will be with you always...

It instills the feeling of pure righteous victory within me.

With the prequils it is also a great way of showing that Luke literally is the new hope and that Anakin/Darth Vader was the Former hope... Good will eventually triumph if Luke stays good; evil will triumph if he turns to evil like his father. Glorious. Wonderful. Moving.

18. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I've always felt that the final duel between Vader and Luke had the best music in the entire Saga. In fact, I had been hoping that it would be turned into a full musical suite for Episode III to be playing during the DUEL. Battle of the Heroes, however, was a fine addition to the entire Saga and I find myself humming it occassionally when doing odd-jobs around the house.

The most powerful moment in the entire saga, now that I've seen all of the films, is from RotS actually. I've always rated The Empire Strikes Back as my favorite film, and overall it still remains as my personal favorite. I mean, c'mon, what guy out there doesn't love how pimp Han is when he just tells Leia "I know" after she tells him she loves him? I'll never forget the first time I used that on my future wife. She looked at me stunned because I didn't say it back...and I just felt, "So this is how it felt to be Han Solo. Excellent." But I digress...

The most powerful moment for me are the wordless sequences showing Padme and Anakin as the sun sets on Coruscant. This of course is shortly before Anakin makes a fateful decision and goes to the Chancellor's office to give rise to the Empire. There's something emotional and visceral about the whole sequence. It drives home the fact that Anakin really makes a misguided decision because he's a pawn and everything he loves and cherishes is being manipulated by some other entity for its own gain. I just wanted to scream at the screen and tell Anakin to not be an idiot, to take his wife away to the Lake Country on Naboo and disappear. I wanted to tell him that if he makes the choice to side with Palpatine that he'd be dooming the galaxy to decades of darkness, bereft of hope and true peace.

That moment is the fulcrum upon which the entire saga is balanced...and it's played out beautifully on-screen. The music does the talking and it says everything.

Great, powerful moment for me.

:)

19. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    The duel between Obi-Wan and DV on the Death Star has so much emotion underlying it now. Obi-Wan's final, affectionate look to Luke just breaks my heart; he's fufilled his promise to Padme and can leave this world at peace.

20. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Well said AnnLouise. =D=

I've always loved the Vader vs. Kenobi duel on the First Death Star but I never thought of Kenobis smile that way.

21. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    It has to be the end of each of the trilogys. Mustafar Duel and Dialouge, DS 2 Duel and Dialougue. Both of those tear at my heart.

22. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Anakin/Padme/Obi-Wan on Mustafar is really, really good, but I'm still really partial to Vader/Luke/Palpatine on the Death Star in ROTJ. The score, the dialogue, the tie-ins to all that had come before, the moment when Vader kept on looking back and forth from Palps to Luke and then finally took out Palps is still extremely powerful for me.

23. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
  24. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    The I Hate You Part. I almost cried. I think in the theaters I did. Also the part where anakin cries while Padme is looking out the window. The end of ROTJ and of course, the younglings. That was terrible.

25. VADERVADERVADERVADER

VADERVADERVADERVADER Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2004
    The whole Mustafaar duel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.