Most profound moment since the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sonofcoruscant, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    If you had to choose, what character/scene/part, if any, of the Original Trilogy has been the most fundamentally and proufoundly altered for you because of the Prequel Trilogy. You can pick a large idea, like how you see the force, or perhaps a character that you see differently etc etc, but do just try and pick one, that makes it more fun I think.

I am going to have to say that what I felt the most deeply was when Obi Wan and Vader meet again. I always loved that scene, but man with the background we now have, WOW. I mean, Vader must have been piseed. Kind of a...hey you! moment lol But really, that scene is really empowered.

And a final note, I KNOW that everyone is going to say that seeing a young Jar Jar before he has a sex change and changes his name to Leia is cool, but given how obvious that is lets got to your #2 ok?
  2. Ben R Force Ghost

star 4

[face_thinking] Hmmmm...

I'd have to sayyyyyyy...

One big one for me would have to be Palpatine & Vader's temptation of Luke to the dark side. Vader tells Luke that giving himself to the dark side is the only way he can save his friends. Back before the prequels, I always assumed that it meant that Vader was suggesting that if he gave in and joined them, they could give the order to spare the lives of Han, Leia, and friends down on Endor. Now, you realize that it's just Anakin spewing back the idea/temptation that the dark side can somehow be a way to keep loved ones from dying.

Actually, the whole throne room sequence is much richer now. Palpatine urging Luke to give in to his anger, parallelling the Anakin vs. Dooku fight. We saw Anakin first go here when he kills Dooku. He seems to regain his composure after that for alittle bit, but that was his first taste of using the dark side at the urging of a Sith (whereas the tusken slaughter had been on his own). It was interesting to see Luke starting to feel the rage of the dark side and breathing heavily after cutting Vader's hand off, just as Anakin did after doing the same to Mace Windu. In those 2 circumstances, we see that once you use the dark side, you can go "bad" really quickly. Yoda hammers this home by tells Luke, "For once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice." Seeing it happen with Anakin so quickly gives new meaning to hearing Yoda warn about it and also seeing Luke experience it.
  3. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This is more of a Saga question, so I'm going to move it there.
  4. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    Ok

But isnt this now fanfiction....
  5. Ben R Force Ghost

star 4
  6. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    I dont know, if just says fanfiction under one of the headings, but what do I know
  7. Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Where did you want this question to go? You're posting it under the Saga Fan Fiction forum.
  8. astarael Jedi Knight

star 3
    This board is for people writing stories about the Star Wars universe. I think you're better off posting this topic under the Star Wars Films board. Like here:

http://boards.theforce.net/classic_trilogy/b10002/p1
  9. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I have to go with anything that had to do with Luke and Vader. Looking at a few things from the OT.

1. ESB Opening scrawl: Vader, Obsessed with finding young Skywalker....

What? That big badass in black? Obsessed?
    Ohhhhhh, that young man who was obsessed with his wife is resurfacing.

2. I can feel the good in you, the conflict.

Huh? This guy is evil. He cut off your arm a few years back because you didn't want to rule the galaxy with him.
    Ahhhhh, there can only be 2 Sith, and he had made a similar pitch to his wife years back.

3. My master is frying my son with lightning. Whew, thank god, because my son just beat the hell out of me.
    Hmmmmm, strange. I think I was in this situation before and made a really bad choice. Wait, The wrinkly evil guy next to me set ME up just as he had his last apprentice years ago. He doesn't care about me. My son on the other hand does. Forget you and your Sith crap, down the shaft with you!

Not saying that we couldn't figure out Vader's motives before the PT come out, but I think they are deeper and feel much more real now. It's tough to say if Vader hadn't been manipulated and screwed over by his Master years ago, if he would have made the same decisions.

Carnage

10. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    Ok, it was moved here. I dont care where it goes, but I did not post it here so I dunno
  11. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    To me it is in ROTJ when Anakin finally returns and fulfills his destiny, killing Palpatine & bringing ballance to the Force.
  12. Bossk_Boy Jedi Padawan

The ending of ROTJ where Vader turns on Palpatine and throws him down the shaft. In fact, most of the scenes with Vader in ROTJ are enhanced by the PT, because we know that there was once good in him. Instead of Luke just saying "there is good in you," we the audience know that there was good in him at one point, but now it's (mostly)gone.
  13. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    Its interesting, I find that for a lot of people, it is really elements of ROTS that enhanced their veiwing of the OT. Its not that I hated Episode 1 and 2, but I certainly think they were in a lot of ways less emotionally poignant because of their distance from the OT. Perhaps a few exceptions might include characters like Qui Gon, but I think in general everything in Episode 2 is set up for 3, which is not bad, but 3 is where you really feel Star Wars in my mind. There are multiple points where I will fully admit to getting all weepy and emotional lol Even the much hated scene on the balcony. Somehow seeing how much they are in love and knowing what is going to heppen, well, it just really hits me hard. But in AOTC I feel like it is too removed for me to care too much. No real point, just some ramblings for thought.

My apolagies as well if this seems incoherent, a little sauced I am afraid.
  14. DarkPrince Jedi Master

star 4
    I would have to say that the moment that was jmost profound for me now in the OT was Yoda's training to Luke. In ESB we see something similar from Luke to Anakin.

1). In Luke's case, Yoda presists to Obi-Wan that Luke is too old to begin training and that he's not ready. With Anakin it was that he was too young and as Yoda said himself, his future was clouded.

2) It is then, however, that Obi-Wan convinces Yoda to accept him as a student and train him to become a Jedi. This is also similar to the Council giving in to train Anakin.

3). Luke becomes worried about his friends as he looks towards the future and sees Han and Leia in pain and suffering, and he leaves Yoda to help them. In AOTC, we find that Anakin continues to feel the pain of his mother, and must go to Tatooine to help her. When he finds her\, she is dying and dies in Anakin's arms. This is similar in the case that Luke finds out that Han has been frozen in carbonite, and there was nothing he could do to save him from Vader.

So, in turn, I think there are some similarites between Luke and Anakin in ATOC/ESB during their training. I'm sure there are some more, but these are the ones that struck out me the most.
  15. PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Master

star 4
    Damned good question. Wish I had an equally damned good answer. May have to watch all 6 to answer as there is so much intertextual referentiality in the SW saga.
  16. TheLighterSide Force Ghost

star 4
    For me, it is the scene in Obi-Wan's hut at the beginning of ANH, as he is watching Leia's recording with Luke. He is watching the fulfillment of his and Yoda's plan right in front of him. He knows that Luke and Leia crossing paths like this is no coincidence. It's his realization at this moment that the Force is not-so-subtly telling that it is time to resurface and take the galaxy back from the Sith. That sets the entire chain of events in the OT in motion, and to me is one of the more powerful moments in the saga.
  17. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    The scene in Obi Wans house is a VERY powerful scene I agree, makess it on my top 5 list with ease.

Another random great scene and kind of humorous is when Luke return to the wreckage of the Sancrawler and declares....

"..I want to learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father."

Ok, it is and always has been a powerful scene...but now I just kind of want Obi Wan to be like

"OK! Well, ummm, well see about that! Just like your father! Wow...uh yeah well have to talk about that....sooooooooo....sigh"
  18. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    I like it very much when in ANH Obi-Wan has told Luke about how he and his father were Jedi Knights and how good a pilot Anakin was, Kenobi leans back and says to himself "and he was a good friend".
  19. Carnage04 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, Alec Guiness's acting was just awesome during this scene. The way that he acts...it eerily seems like he actually knew the events of the PT before they were written. ;) That could very well be me seeing what I want to see, but it just really meshes.

Carnage
  20. sonofcoruscant Force Ghost

star 2
    No you are right, he kind of does this little expression of...I dont know maybe doubt? He really was a great actor.

21. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought the birth of Vader / death of Padme / birth of twins juxtaposition was all time. The score with the aria, the camera work, and the final Frankenstein-inspired shot. It was just brilliant for any kind of movie.
  22. Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Master

star 2
    I'd have to say the duel between Vader & Obi Wan on the death star...before I just thought, "big deal"...now since the Mustafar duel - that scene is just AWESOME!!!
  23. JediRunner Jedi Master

star 1
    For me it would be the Jedi and Sith. Before the PT all I knew was Obi Wan and Yoda were two very old wise Jedi, with magic powers that help Luke. Then that Darth Vader and The Emperor were evil, bad guys. After the PT I know more about the Jedi and Sith plus more about the whole Jedi vs Sith conflict. For me anyways, it gave more meaning to the title Return of the Jedi.

24. Delorean_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 3
    This would be more of a profound acting moment but the facial reaction Sir Alec Guiness gives when Luke mentions the name "Obi-Wan Kenobi" has far more grevatas now that we've seen Obi-Wan Kenobi the Jedi Knight/Master in action in Eps 1,2 and 3, and how he featured so heavily during the war and in the actions that lead to formation of the Empire.

Now we know why he responds the way he does in Ep 4.

25. darthzeppo Jedi Master

star 3
    When Princess Leia gives Darth Vader THAT look in the carbon freezing chamber in Empire.

Watched A New Hope after Attack of the Clones and Leia being an over confidant Smart Alec made me think of Anakin.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.