main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most profound moment since the PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sonofcoruscant, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_872

Jedi_872 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    I would have to say Vader's death/redemption. Before it was good - Luke/the Alliance won, Luke and Lei's dad turned good again, and it was sad - Luke and Leia's dad died. Now we can put a name to "Luke and Leia's dad," and there are more emotions attached to him. Now, Anakinhelped his son and the Alliance win, Anakin fullfilled the prophacy, Anakin finally stood up to Palpatine.....and then he dies! This isn't some guy anymore, it's somone we know and care about.

2. J_Gonn_Jinn

J_Gonn_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2005
    you know, I hadnt link the setting up of Dooku to luke/vader, obvious but never clicked

excellent

3. Jedi_Fighter_Pilot

Jedi_Fighter_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2004
    In episode 6 when Vader kills Sidious. Because before it was "cool, the dad saved the son." And now it's "Thats Anakin finally realising Sidious is evil and fulfilling the prophecy."

4. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Very good point Jedi Fighter Pilot!
    I agree that this is one of the most powerful connections!
    I love it!

5. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    It's things like this that make me truly appreciate Star Wars as more than just a childish little Space Opera. The saga has MUCH more depth than the average person will give it credit for. It's easy to go on these boards and have someone point something out that you never even thought of. Happens to me a lot. There are many people who despise the PT and I find that surprising as it adds an incredible amount of depth to the story. The entire saga is Fun, has a lot of good eye candy, and has a seemingly unlimited amount of things to think about and discuss. ;)

Carnage

6. cousyrules

cousyrules Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2006
    In ANH, when Obi Wan is reminicing his old life with anakin to Luke in his home, this was so believeable after seeing the perfromance of Ewan Mcgregor and Alec Guiness.

7. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    I agree that the difference has obviously been Darth Vader. That's what George warned us would happen once he was finished with the PT.

Before the PT

Darth Vader = 2.2m of half man, half machine. Like's to kill his own officers, like's to utter a wise cracking one liner from time to time, wants to rule the galaxy and like's to be evil in general.

After the PT

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader = Tragic hero? Weak, pathetic cripple? Victim or Villain?

Anakin Skywalker is a victim. Darth Vader is a villain.

That's how I see it.

The back story has been filled in. It makes the OT better as a result. There's clarity now.

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd agree with everything that's gone before. I also now find the very end of the saga even more profound. Now that we know more about the nature of merging with the force / eternal life in the force / force ghosts etc, it's even more powerful seeing Anakin appear alongside the other two before Luke. Even if it is bloody Hayden!

9. n00bian

n00bian Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    I agree with your assesment on that scene...its become a much more pivotal moment than before the PT. What I like most about it now is the look that Obi-wan and Artoo exchange. I didnt think much of it before, just a quick glance that happens when Leia references Artoo in her message. But now I see it and you can just see Obi-Wan thinking "its you!!" and Artoo saying "hello, again, old friend". Watching it now, you'd swear this was shot after ROTS...which makes it all the more amazing that it was done 30 years ago.

10. Franchise469

Franchise469 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2006
    In the beginning of ANH, when Vader walks through the hole in the wall. It always gave me a chill as a child, because it was the Boogeyman stalking towards the good guys. Now, you have something much more dangerous and twisted.

Also, it is interesting to see Vader literally inches away from his child..one to the last remnants of the thing he loved the most...the thing that made him become a sith in order to learn how to protect. All of this, and both of them are completely clueless to it.

I do have to say, it is humorous seeing him wave his finger at her like a scolding father (listen to me young lady!).

11. Franchise469

Franchise469 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2006
    Another one that hit me...

A lot of you have pointed out that the "Darth" title is all but pushed in Vader's face by Kenobi during their duel. Most think that it is Kenobi's way of making Vader certain that the man he knew as Anakin is gone...

After watching the prequels,,,,,I think that he is actually making a point to remind Anakin that he was not able to get the Jedi title he so desired...and was forced to settle for the title of a Sith apprentice.

12. MasterVodo

MasterVodo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I definitly agree that the best scene in the entire saga now is the entire sequence of Luke meeting Obi-Wan (as Obi-Wan). Someone else said it perfectly that Alec Guiness seemed to know all the events of the prequel trilogy when he delivered his lines. (Reinforced by the fact that they used this scene to open the Sith teaser trailer!) I particularly love his little pause before he decides what "truth" to share with Luke about his father. It really makes his character so much more forgivable for this deception IMHO.

On the other hand I really don't like how Ben calls Vader Darth throughout his duel. Obviously, when the scene was filmed it was believed that Darth Vader was his actual name, and that he really did kill Luke's father Anakin Skywalker. Now it just seems out of character for Obi-Wan. Although I am of the belief that Ben believes Vader to be beyond redemption I still think he would have addressed him as Anakin. I guess I can learn to live with it though.

13. Darth-Vorador

Darth-Vorador Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2006
    So many moments in ROTJ that mirror ROTS. Again, the moment when Anakin has Dooku at his mercy and gives in to the dark side at the behest of Palpatine, whereas Luke resists. Also, the moment where Anakin redeems himself is mirrored to the moment where he falls, with Palps frying someone.

The knowing look that Obi-Wan gives Vader after spying Luke off to the side.

14. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    After seeing RotS I naturally watched ANH as soon as possible & the moment that really hit me, the moment that made me realize "Wow..everything has changed" was the first glimpse of Obi-Wan wandering across the Jundland wastes.Before SITH it was like "Yay here's Ol' Ben" but now it's Obi-Wan kenobi..General of the Clone Wars, which we have actually witnessed..living out a meagre existence on a lonely desert world.The fact that we have seen Obi-Wan involved in such adventure & heartache in his early life makes the appearance of his older self all the more poignant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.