main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Rewatchable Star Wars Film?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Swanton, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    The most rewatchable for me are Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Return of the Jedi.

This is a little off-topic but I have a question for DBrennan. Why do you not like the Episode IV: A New Hope tagline. The only time the first Star Wars movie hasn't been called that was in its original theatrical run. From 1981 on it's always been called Episode IV: A New Hope. And seeing as you're 24 years old that's pretty much your entire life. But hey it's cool if you don't want to call it that. Maybe you just don't like the name A New Hope. I was just curious.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    For me it's all five Star Wars movies. Though I might watch one more then the others. Right I have not watched a Star Wars movie sense this past January. I'm waiting until Ep3 comes out then I will sit down and watch the others again.

3. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Without a doubt, hands down, the most watchable SW movie is The Empire Strikes Back.

However, if you are four or younger, then Phantom Menace would be your cup of tea!

4. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    AOTC is for me the most rewatchable. Probably because I havent seen it as many times as all the others.

5. The_Flargg

The_Flargg Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2004
    I find ROTJ the most rewatchable, followed by AOTC. Of the movies, I think those have the best action sequences, with the Final Duel in ROTJ and it's space battle, and the last 30 or so minutes of AOTC rock.

6. WeerDoomed

WeerDoomed Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2005
    Probably ANH.

But I have several favorite scenes or moments:

1) The best is the asteriod-field chase in ESB. The music and the visuals along with the comic timing with C3P0 and Han ("Never tell me the odds") make this my favorite scene in any Star Wars movie. It captures the rebel spirit and the character of Han. (The asteriod-field scene in AOTC is great also, especially the sound effects).

2) The setting (or was it rising?) suns in ANH. A classic moment with wonderful music.

3) The little detail where Darth Maul force-throws the object at the door and opens it during the final dual.

4) The battle at the end of AOTC - Very cool special effects. And it is fun seeing Yoda ordering proto-storm-troopers around.

5) Han and Leia's scenes in ESB - excellent romantic chemestry.

6) The space battle in ROTJ. Admiral Akbar's command chair is cool.

While the "big" Star Wars arc of sin and redemption (Anakin's fall and eventual act self-sacrifice) is very compelling, I find the little details the most fun to watch again and again.

7. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    ANH, baby!

ESB may be a better movie, but ANH is the better "Star Wars".

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    GEEZ! I have watched 4 of the movies more times than I can count. AOTC, ESB, and ROTJ all tie in my book... And usually I can't bring myself to watch ESB till I watch ANH first.

TPM I usually avoid, but don't worry I'm not a basher or anything. If anything I am PT gusher. But the only part that ever keeps my attention in that one is the Dual of Fates.

One thing though, if I don't feel like watching the whole movie I tend to skip to the saber fights, and this is why ANH is probably a step lower than the other three, because well... there is no saber fight worth watching in that one.

So, now we've narrowed it down to AOTC, ESB, and ROTJ. Now since ROTJ was the first Star Wars movie I had ever seen (I found it on an old VHS when I was 5, it was taped off of TV, and I refused to let watch anything else for WEEKS! Until my parents found the ESB taped off of TV. I never even knew ANH existed until I was 11) And ROTJ is still my favorite movie of the saga. And I watch the last twenty minutes of that movie... very often.

So ROTJ is the winner... But considering my love for saber duels... ROTS may be the winner by the time I'm old and grey...

9. Buck_Skywalker

Buck_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2002
    Star Wars.

Thats the one.

I know its officially Star Wars IV: A New Hope.

But in my mind it will always be just plain Star Wars. However, when it was re-released with its new moniker, I was ecstatic. Loved the thought of more Star Wars movies.

I like all the SW movies. However, the original holds my attention and actually transports me back in time to my youth. Back to long lines at the theatre. Back to that initial feeling that is undescribable when the opening crawl begins. The same feeling you get seeing Luke gaze at twin suns. The same feeling that made you get back in line again and again. All without the knowdledge that someday I could watch this movie on demand. The idea of a broadcast version of the movie was unheard of. VHS? No way. It didn't take long for it to happen, though. But we didn't know that one hot summer a long time ago...

10. ARTOO_DETOO

ARTOO_DETOO Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
  11. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Each "Star Wars" picture has a very specific and purposeful rhythm which allows the films to be tonally independent, while adhering to an underlying aesthetic principle which is employed throughout the entire saga. Depending upon one's taste or enjoyment of a particular movie, coupled with that individual's corresponding mood, those factors will no doubt inform one as to which movie is the most rewatchable.

Personally, I feel that "A New Hope", which is possibly the most accessible and structurally independent film in the saga, is the most purely entertaining of the movies, and is therefore the most rewatchable. It is a brash space opera, a delightful visual feast, and an utterly enchanting romantic adventure which transcends the pulpy confines of its stylization, becoming a very special work of the imagination. "Episode IV" is not the most profound or technologically impressive installment, but it is arguably the giddiest and most transporting.

"The Empire Strikes Back" is, in my opinion, a better film than "Hope", but is (deliberately) lacking that movie's fanciful tone and playfulness. "Empire" is conceived as more of a brooding emotional tone poem - it's a visionary picture, perhaps one of the most stunning visual feasts ever committed to film, but the pervasive sense of unease and nihilism which slowly begins to haunt the narrative, does not necessarily translate into an inviting "repeat" experience. My appreciation of this particular episode is only enriched by my more intermittent considerations of its artistic value.

"Return of the Jedi" is sort of like an extended series of confrontations which build to an inevitable sense of resolution. It is also a riotous feat of character invention - I marvel at the depth of imagination which flows so fluidly into a sequence such as that which occurs in Jabba's palace - a matter which lends a considerable amount of visual richness to the picture's many compositions. A movie like "Jedi", or any of the "Star Wars" films for that matter, shames the languid planes which constitute much of the various contemporary levels of imaginative manifestation, particularly as it regards mainstream motion pictures. I am fond of invoking Werner Herzog's observation that we live in an age starved of new images, and if this need isn't adequately sated, we will die; that is what I most enjoy about "Jedi" - it not only satisfies this desire, but uses it as a canvas onto which an endearing and emotional serialized story is juxtaposed. There are pacing issues, endless scenes, some routine performances, misplaced and inappropriate humor, etc., but the film is nonetheless very entertaining and rewatchable, just not on the same level as "A New Hope".

"The Phantom Menace" is arguably the least of all five of these movies, but while that may be the case, its dense visual richness and intricate Machiavellian political machinery are fascinating enough to warrant repeat viewings. "Phantom" is, in terms of its plot, too concerned with introductory expositional details and so forth, to really attain a complete sensation of natural fluidity to its storytelling; this is a bit of a stumbling block, one large enough I feel, to impede the film's cumulative power, but the core issues at play in this movie are actually very interesting. All of the parallel arcs concering the likes of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, Anakin and his mother, Palpatine and Amidala, and so forth, are mostly well told and realized. Those materials stand up to repeat viewings.

"Attack of the Clones" is an extended transitional piece which takes on the aesthetic qualities of more complex operatic filmmaking; just as Leone was able to achieve stylistic transcendence in "Once Upon a Time in America" and "Once Upon a Time in the West", Lucas assembles his filmic material in a manner which allows the story to unfold in a gentle, lyrical fashion which consequently elevates his work into a majestic feat of poetry. I love the manner in which he fuses a Chandler-esque pulp storyline (Obi-Wan's investigations) with the co

12. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Though Ep V is my favorite if I'm watching the whole original trilogy, I've probably watched Ep IV more than all the other episodes. It has a full beginning (because it was the beginning!) and a real ending. No cliffhangers. No storylines continued from the previous episode (well, ok, next month there will be though). Just a single, standalone movie with the characters we all love. And it's got a living Obi-wan. But crappy lightsabers.

I really love watching Ep I and it might be my favorite one-shot viewing, but young Anakin with his school-play style of acting annoys me, as do Jar-Jar and Padme at times. Ep II is great too, except the scenes with Padme. She just seems to be so bored with it all, and it distracts me. Then again, Mark Hamill annoys me a little, too, especially in Ep IV, and both Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford give the same "bored" vibe in Ep VI. It's funny that I don't mind Jar-Jar so much, but I suppose it's because he's supposed to be annoying, heh. He does have a few scenes that I really like. If Lucas had just toned him down a bit (and he was a tad more comprehensible), I bet he'd have become a beloved character. Ok I went totally off-topic. Despite my rant, I love all five movies!

13. Gemini9857

Gemini9857 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    Recently I've been watching AOTC the most so I'll go with that.

14. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
  15. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    ROTJ hands down.

Sure, the movie gets started a bit slow until Luke shows up at the palace, and the Ewok subplot distracts a bit, but I for one will NEVER get tired of watching Yoda's Death, Ben's chat about Anakin's fall, Luke's revelation to Leia, but most of all what I think is the most emotional duel of the saga (when Luke throws down his sword and says "I'm a Jedi, like my father before me" I still get goosebumps!)

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I don't think I could choose any particular one.
    I've rewatched all of them so many times that I would consider them all very rewatchable. I'm guessing that I've seen A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back the most. So I guess I'll have to go with them.

-Seldon

17. obiwan122586

obiwan122586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    It's a tossup between ANH and AOTC. The Phantom Menace is kinda painful, and Empire ends so poorly, so that you just HAVE to watch Return of the Jedi ALSO. But A New Hope is like a completely self-contained, great adventure movie. Attack of the Clones is a little less self-contained, but it's the newest, so I've seen it the least, and it's got one of my favorite storylines of the five.

18. whsoxlosenow

whsoxlosenow Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    I would have to say THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, followed by THE RETURN OF THE JEDI, THE PHANTOM MENACE, ATTACK OF THE CLONES, A NEW HOPE. in that order.

19. Stamm

Stamm Jedi Master

Jun 5, 2002
    I think TPM and ANH are the most rewatchable. They are the most fun and the most standalone.

20. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Empire Strikes Back Without a doubt. I could watch the Luke Vader duel 1000000000000000000 times

21. JED1_KN1GHT

JED1_KN1GHT Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    i get the feeling that after EP3 is out on DVD it will not be the most rewatched movie, as i originally thought. the reason: its too sad. i will probably watch it regularly but only the fight scenes.

as for the others. in the OT i think it is TESB. i know its dark. but a movie with no real begining and no real end has one greaat advantage: no slow opening or middle. it is the most consistantly moving (that is, moving along...not touching--though it is touching...nevermind) of the 5 films.

in ANH after the opening scirmish there really is no action until you get to the death star, and then its non stop. but you have to sit through an hour of talking. no problem for me, but it makes it harder to watch all the way through.

ROTJ is like looking at two mountians side by side with a low valley between them. it has a big opening action sequence, then slow slow slow moving until luke is taken to the emperor, then its non stop. so thats a movie i can watch alot, but i wind myself skipping a few scenes every now and then.

TPM is different movie all together. most people were disopointed in it becuse they expected the OT. but the prequel trilogy is a like like an esckalator...slowly climbing to the peak. episode I was the begining of the climb. it didnt try to be a fast pased film. it was supposed to be slower. knowing that, i find it easier to watch and appreciate.
    it has a small action sequence early on...then slow...then a big action sequence...then slow...then the big finale. it is very rewatchable, but i find my self (when i dont have a lot of time) skipping the slow parts for the 3 big action sequences.

AOTC continues the climb toward EP3's climax. unlike my personal favorite SW movie, TESB, this movie has a plot. 2 in fact.
    the anakin/padme plot dispite what some say didnt fall flat. the problem people had with it was the romance was designed to be a (as someone on this board pointed out) formal courting kind of affair. with a twist: it was awkward. both characters were uncomfortable with each other. anakin wanted padme but didnt know what to do. padme wanted anakin but didnt want to admit it. thats why the scene before the beast arena is so great. when she finally says she loves him it makes perfect sense. she thinks shes about to die, so why pretend anymore.
    the other plot, the obi wan mystery plot, was the best part of the movie. everyone loves obi wan and watching him do his thing was great. the way his story unfolds makes the movie very rewatchable.
    all in all, i would say AOTC is a very rewatchable movie because of the great opening action, the obi wan mystery, and the final battle sequence. only the lovey dovey anakin/padme stuff (which was well done) is what i would skip.

as for ep3. everything i read seems to point to an ep5 fast paced style. it will slow moments of dialogue. but those will be delivered with a sense of urgency, keeping the tempo along. there will be enough action to keep everyone entertained. this is afterall, the climax of the whole saga.

22. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    SW or TESB, bar none.

23. FxxxedUpKid

FxxxedUpKid Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2005
    All of the movies are rewatchable...... so i guess the real question is wich one is the least rewatchable. Thats easy, A new hope. I have to admit if i would have been alive for that one, i dont think i would have bothered to see the rest. Not the greatest of films action wise or acting wise but the rest of the OT where pure guenius.

24. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    For most rewatchable, I'd say TPM. AOTC just gets a tad boring after a while in the middle. ROTS is gonna take it though...

25. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Whoa, no mention of the OT? That's some hardcore PT gushing, kudos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.