main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most UNDER RATED SW movie.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JcubFett, Dec 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Definately TPM.
    It wasn't a bad movie, not at all...

2. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    ESB, even thought it is hailed by critics and most fans (I think) as the best SW movie so far, it is still under rated because you can't say enough good things about it. It is one of the best movies around.

3. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Actually I'd say ESB was overrated.

4. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    I agree. I think ESB is overrated too. Dont get me wrong, I like it and all, but it's used by too many people as a point to put down the rest of the films.

5. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I would say that ANH is the most under rated by fans at this site. Most fans here think ESB (I can understand) and AOTC (I can't understand) are the best of the films. TPM and ROTJ get attacked the most, but they have plenty of fans who stand-up for them too. ANH is usually left alone, however, some fans are turned off by its dated look, and least impressive budget. ANH is the one that started it all and may very well be my favorite of the bunch.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    ANH is probably my favorite of them all. You have the princess getting rescued by the tough scoundral and innocent farmboy. You have a lightsaber battle. You have a cool space battle. Finally, the good guys win the day. It's the perfect story.

7. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah most of them are underrated except for TESB.... but I agree... I think at the time ANH wasn't as underrated as it is after all the sequels.... Putting the affects of nostalgia aside (which always gets me) It is a movie that could stand alone and had all the elements of a classic movie... It is my favorite... :D

8. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    I'll say it again, The Holiday Special.

All you need is love!

9. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    You know, when it was first mentioned that ANH was underrated I didn't agree, but after thinking about it, I find this intriguing. It's true, you don't really hear too much about it compared to ESB (which everyone seems to unfairly compare the others to) or ROTJ (a film hurt because it's compared to ESB) or TPM (a film which I liked, but can understand why others didn't)

Personally, I still dont think ANH is underrated. I think the reason no one talks about it too much is because everyone knows it's the first and because of this, the best. What is understood, need not be discussed, after all. So by definition, it cant be underrated; I'd say undervalued or overlooked would be a better term.

10. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    Episode I is most definetley underrated. I swear to God, I saw it TWELVE times in the theater back in 1999.

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd have to say ROTJ even though AOTC is my favorite. It ended the saga well (and was so sad :_| ), but gets a lot of flack.

12. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    Well, I guess Episode VI is sort of underrated. Maybe. Hey, what's flack rhonderoo? ?[face_plain]

13. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    ANH Is the most under-rated movie.

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Hey, what's flack rhonderoo?

It's kind of the opposite of "slack" (Like cut it some slack), meaning it gets a lot of grief... :)

15. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    IMO, TPM is the most under-rated SW movie, followed closely by ROTJ. I love both of these movies and think they are great (actually, I love all five of the SW movies, but i think ROTJ is prob. my favorite), and I sometimes cannot understand the obtuse way that they are critiqued by bashers or how they are seeminlgy always compared in a negative light to other movies like LOTR and Spider-Man.

16. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    As good as ESB is, it's definitely elevated above the other 4 films and often used to deride them. That's not good at all.

The bashing ROTJ got always bothered me, as a fan of Luke it will always be my sentimental favourite. But it was nothing compared to the level of TPM bashing and (to a lesser extent) AOTC bashing.

So, I guess it'd be any one out of ROTJ, TPM, and AOTC that is the most underrated. And I guess it'd be fair to pick the one that gets the most rabid bashing, and that'd be TPM.

17. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Before I arrived on these boards, I didn't know that quite a few people disliked ROTJ. I've always loved it, since to me it is the most emotional, as well as having simply one of the best space battles I've seen, if not the best. Seeing that people hated it was a shock, and I still don't really understand it, even though I respect those opinions.

But the lash against TPM is worse than that. Some people seem to think that "everyone knows" that TPM is bad, and constantly use it as fodder. Hypothetical example: "While <some movie> could have been better, it wasn't nearly the stinker TPM was." While I don't know if these exact words have been used, I have seen similar ideas expressed. (Incidentally, I also have a problem with the "everyone knows ESB is great" philosophy; while I agree that it is, I don't like this assumption, and I definitely don't like how it's used to bash other films) So IMO TPM gets most underrated, ROTJ second, and AOTC honorable mention, although it seems mostly underrated by the critics, since the public seems to have loved it. And I also agree that "underappreciated" is a better word for ANH.

18. JcubFett

JcubFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2002
    I think if GL wanted to he could have not done 5, 6, 1, 2, and 3 and just stood with ANH, it ended just right. No need for anything else except a BIG Boba Fett part in it.

19. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Yea ANH is underrated, i mean who nowdays goes 'oh ANH was an awesome movie!' Its always a contest of whats better, ESB or ROTJ, Go watch ANH again, it rocks!

Jedi Benji

20. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    As ROTJ's number one defender, I'd have to say ROTJ is the most underated. Vader's funeral is as moving as the amazing binary sunset in ANH.

21. Little-Q

Little-Q Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2002
    most underrated:TPM

most overrated:TESB

22. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    ROTJ and TPM!
    Both are so unloved!

23. debeautimous

debeautimous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003

ANH is under rated by many who were not alive or old enough to remember its premiere. In 1977 no one had the courage and talent to do a movie like it. At that point it was cutting edge technology. I remember going to see it in the theatre over and over and audiences cheering every time.

24. RevengeofDahveed

RevengeofDahveed Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2002
    I suppose ROTJ is the obvious answer here.

but its stock went WAY up after the release of TPM. ewoks or no, its actually a pretty fun ride with a reasonably dramatic finale (ok Vader's swordsmanship was a bit lacking, but the Emperor kicked ass as did the music). yes this is my opinion, but i suspect its a pervasive 1. I M H O

quote:

Hypothetical example: "While <some movie> could have been better, it wasn't nearly the stinker TPM was." While I don't know if these exact words have been used, I have seen similar ideas expressed.

actually i think i might have coined the phrase. very sorry

25. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Star Tours. No doubt.

People take for granted what an awesome movie that is. Im as much a fan of "Star Tours" itself, as I am of the 5 core "Star Wars" movies.

Ive seen it at least 100 times.

It still gets better.

Every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.