Most underrated contributor to the Star Wars saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by royalguard96, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was looking through some of my Star Wars reference books the other day and noticed a lot of people who have made key contributions to making Star Wars what it was, and what it is today, yet don't get the same recognition as people like the actors and George Lucas do.

So how about a vote on who we think the most underrated contributor to Star Wars is? Here are some choices:

Dennis Muren: An original employee of ILM, worked on special effects on all 5 films.

Ralph McQuarrie: Production artist on the original trilogy. If it weren't for some of his paintings, the movies might never have gotten made.

Doug Chiang: Design director for TPM and AOTC. Helped shape the new look of Star Wars in a pre-Empire universe.

John Williams: Musical composer of all 5 films. I don't know if he would quite qualify as being "underrated," because the music is one thing I think most of us love. But his touch adds so much to what we see on the screen. Steven Spielberg called him "the greatest composer who ever lived."

Ben Burtt: Sound designer of all 5 movies and editor of TPM and AOTC. The hum of a lightsaber, the blast of Han Solo's pistol, Jabba's laugh and the roar of the podracers all came from the creativity of Ben Burtt.

Joe Johnston: Designed the look of many of the ships in the original trilogy, and another early ILM employee.

Nilo Rodis-Jamero: Costume designer for ESB and ROJ. Designed the ultra-cool royal guard outfit, Luke's Jedi outfit and many other things that made up the look the characters had in Episodes 5 and 6.

Rob Coleman: Animation director for TPM and AOTC. His work helped raise the bar on creating an acting performance out of a CGI character to a new level of believability. Watto in TPM and Yoda in AOTC were groundbreaking to say the least.

John Knoll: ILM supervisor. He makes it all happen, and has been Lucas' right hand man in the prequel trilogy.

Feel free to add your own nominees, but this is a topic I wanted to start so we could give a little recognition to these people who have played a huge role in creating this universe we all love.
  2. DARTH_CHINA Force Ghost

star 5
    You forgot:

Ian McDiarmid : The man that saved TPM, ROTJ ! His performance as Palpatine is unique, nobody could have done it better. He made Palpatine good, intriguing, evil at the same time. He deserves more recognition. It's a real shame he didn't have much screentime in AOTC. Hopefully, he will have a main role in Eps.III.
  3. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    McDiarmid has been excellent, but I said in the first part of my post, someone other than Lucas or the actors. I'm talking more behind-the-scenes type of people.
  4. DARTH_CHINA Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, sorry.

In that case I agree with your choice of people, but especially with John Williams!

I just can't imagine SW without his wonderful music. He made SW too in a way! Can you imagine watching SW with other music, without the main theme or Imperial March :eek: That would be... unbearable!
  5. Jude Jedi Knight

star 2
    Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary Kurtz!
  6. Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wow, that is an excellent question. I think it's John Williams, because I think that EVERYONE knows the scores to these movies...they are that distinctive and I think Williams deserves a lot of credit for the scores he's composed. Obviously, SW would still be popular without his composures, but, he has done SUCH a great job with his music, that I think it makes the movies THAT much better.

Oh, I give up.
  7. TheWombat Jedi Master

star 4
    Peter Mayhew, hands down. :D
  8. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    They guy who held the camera that shot Harrison Ford´s improvised comlink scene at the detention block in ANH! :D
  9. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    "Nilo Rodis-Jamero: Costume designer for ESB and ROJ. Designed the ultra-cool royal guard outfit, Luke's Jedi outfit and many other things that made up the look the characters had in Episodes 5 and 6."

Out of your choices I choose him, but don't forget that he also designed Slave I! :D
  10. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The guy who played Nein Nunb.
  11. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My vote goes to Ralph McQuarrie. He was the first one to put Lucas' imagination to paper and come up with an image. 20th Century Fox was ready to pull the plug on the Star Wars project until McQuarrie showed a couple of his drawings to studio execs. They decided that if Lucas could put McQuarrie's pictures on a screen, they might have something. And did they ever.
  12. JediRuler Jedi Master

star 2
    I especially agree with John Williams! Withou the music, the films would be much duller.
  13. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    I don't think JW's underrated because people DO know it's his music that saves the flicks.

My picks:

Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck -- helped with the ANH script.

Alan Ladd, Jr. -- executive at Fox who believed enough in ANH to give it money.

Peter Schuchitsky -- man whose name I probably spelled wrong; director of photography of ESB (as well as the Rocky Horror Picture Show).

Dino DeLaurentiis - bought the rights to "Flash Gordon", therefore not giving Lucas a chance to make a Flash Gordon movie.

EDIT: Whoops, no actors. Tee-hee!

Rick McCallum loves you!
  14. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dino DeLaurentiis - bought the rights to "Flash Gordon", therefore not giving Lucas a chance to make a Flash Gordon movie.

[face_laugh]

I don't think Lucas, despite all his detractors, could have come up with a line as bad as "Go Flash go! Go Flash go!" God, was Dale Arden the worst female character ever?? LOL But that movie is hilariously cheesy.

All solid picks though, Adam. Didn't pick the man who loves you?? :confused:
  15. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    royalguard96 -- Although Rick loves us, I don't think he contributes much creatively to the saga. :(

And while we're at it, the 1980 Flash Gordon is a fine piece of cinema and I urge you all to see it. I own it on DVD and I love it. I actually just finished listening to the theme song before I swung over to SW Misc!

Rick McCallum loves you!
  16. Elori Jedi Master

star 4
    Nilo Rodis-Jamero: Costume designer for ESB and ROJ. Designed the ultra-cool royal guard outfit, Luke's Jedi outfit and many other things that made up the look the characters had in Episodes 5 and 6.

I pick this one! Mm... Luke in Dagobah fatigues... [face_love]
  17. Peter_Jackson_Smells Jedi Youngling

18. JediRuler Jedi Master

star 2
    Doug Chiang.....had all the pressure to make the PT World as great as everyone imagined!
  19. dArTh_wenley Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We owe all these people, and a lot more, quite a lot!

There were/are many people working on the Star Wars saga behind George Lucas to bring us the movies we love and enjoy.

Lets all say a hearty THANKYOU
  20. Maximillenium_Falcon Jedi Knight

star 1
    How about Phil Tippet?
    At a time when CG wasn't used, he made muppet aliens look more alive than most of today's CG aliens. Without a realistic look on the muppets, SW would not be as beleivable as it was.
  21. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: Holy Force! I can't believe no one has yet said Nick Gillard!! Who else could have given us such wonderful action scenes?!?! :D :D

LittleJedi
  22. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Phil Tippett and Nick Gillard....excellent choices!!! Nick wrote and choreographed the best lightsaber fight to date, how can that be overlooked? But I've heard he may not be back for Episode 3 :(
  23. Alybrylla Jedi Master

star 4
    Ben Burtt, because I can't imagine what SW would be like with out those wonderful lightsaber sound effects. :D

Trisha Biggar, because of the awesome clothing designs for Padmé.

All the stunt doubles, because they aren't technically actors and they deserve some respect, yo. :p

24. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    royalguard96 -- where'd you hear that about Gilliard? Everything I've read said he was on board! :(

Rick McCallum loves you!
  25. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    George Lucas. Seems like people want to credit everyone BUT him, and blame him for everything that they hate.

And if you praise him, you're deluged with "mindless Lucas-worshipper" accusations.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.