main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Most underrated games of all time?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Deliveranze, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    My apologies if this is already a thread idea. Please lock if so but in your opinion, what are some of the most underrated games, both commercially or critically, that you've played and think deserve more love. Also explain why. Can be Star Wars or other.

For me:

Star Wars Bounty Hunter- Great combat, fun story, nice environments. Made me feel like a legitimate bounty hunger.
    Overlord 1 and 2- Commanding a horde of minions to cause anarchy and play as a literal Sauron.
    Mercenaries 2- Fun open world game with cool missions and fluid combat.
    Aliens vs. Predator 2010- Meh story but 3 fun perspectives with incredibly brutal executions
    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath- Weird world and another fun imaginative bounty hunter game.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Myst series, definitely. Masterpieces in immersion and world-building.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Myst was the highest selling PC game of all time until The Sims. That's the furthest thing from underrated.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Lost Odyssey, although it's gone on to be a bit of a cult classic, since when it came out it suffered the double dilemma of being a JRPG on the system JRPG players didn't own and a lot of reviewers complained that the turn based combat system was too traditionalist. For most sequences it's a deliberate throwback to the glory days of SNES RPGs and in some text-only flashback sequences it's got some of the best writing in videogames, period. The interplay between the story and the gameplay mechanics is also really nice, with immortal characters learning skills in a different manner from mortal characters and having a timed revival if they get knocked out. Just a lot of really great stuff in the package and easily Mistwalker's best game.

Reynar_Tedros, Life and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would almost say Homeworld, because while it was highly regarded, not even the sequels could really live up to the legacy of the original game. Homeworld Remastered hasn't even reignited interest in the Homeworld franchise and the 3D RTS genre yet, and it remains to be seen whether Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak (formerly Homeworld: Shipbreakers) can do that when it is released.

Deliveranze likes this.
  6. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Call of Duty 2 tbh. It was successful both commercially and critically but it seems all COD games pre 2007 are kind of forgotten now. I mean sure, there are hundreds of clones of the game but it was still the best Xbox 360 FPS game for a long time.

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've always meant to play those two.

I can't really point to underrated games I've played, these days I think even cult classics have got their recognition somewhere. I'd say Alpha Protocol- one of Obisidian's best IMO with a properly branching storyline and very different to anything else on the market. Pistol was OP though.

Life, Shadow Trooper and Ramza like this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, I had wanted to play The Last Express ever since I watched the short documentary that was on the Myst CD back in the day. I finally did get around to playing it a few years ago and it's great.

10. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I have to throw in an obligatory mention of the Troika RPGs, Arcanum and VTM:Bloodlines. These games were really buggy, had pretty horrible combat mechanics, but still managed to be some of the most fun role playing games I have ever played due to the writing, excellent reactivity, Choice and Consequence, multiple quest solutions, and intriguing world design. Arcanum is probably the game that is most similar to the classic Fallout in my opinion, even more so than Fallout 2. Just like in Fallout, you are free to build whatever kind of character you want, from a magical dwarven con artist, to a sniper rifle wielding insane asylum escapee. What is even cooler is how the game acknowledges your choices in Character Creation, and npcs will react differently depending on what character you play.Bloodlines had much of the same qualities of Arcanum, but with Action RPG FPS gameplay rather than isometric view, and with a vampire setting instead of steam punk. Its a shame Troika had to be shut down. While these games are flawed on the combat side of things, they excel in the role playing part of RPGS.

11. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    Mario Maker
    Crash bandicoot ps1 games
    star wars episode 3 for xbox
    mojo jojo a gogo for GBA
    super smash bros

All of em were solid, great graphics and gameplay and the OSTS were all golden. Sigh I miss 8 bit songs in games.

12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Super Mario Sunshine
    The Mafia series
    Gta III
    Rogue Squadron 2 on gamecube (The first game on N64 is overrated)
    Battlefront 1 (2004) battlefront 2 is a tad overrated imo.
    Cod 4/WAW (I know the rest of the series is pretty garbage, but these two are awesome and are often lumped in with the newer crappy ones.)
    The Altantis the lost empire movie game on PS1.
    The old lego island games
    Just Cause 2
    Saboteur
    Dead Rising 1
    Mario Kart Double Dash (Mario kart 64 is ridiculously overrated.)
    The entire game cube library. Luigi's Mansion etc.
    Spiderman 2 the movie game 2004
    Rollercoaster tycoon 1-2.
    Simpson's hit and run
    Jedi Outcast
    Halo 3 ODST gets too much hate imo.

MrZAP, Jedi Ben and Deliveranze like this.
  13. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Mafia 2 is dope! Spiderman 2 is one of the greatest movie licensed games of all time imo.

MrZAP, Life and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  14. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Um not sure it was underrated? But growing up no one i knew played this game but me lol. Awful controls but it had such replay-ability.
    l[​IMG]

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    If Mafia 2 wasn't rushed and butchered with cut content it could have curb-stomped gta 4 easily. I play mafia 2 every year during Christmas time like a tradition lol. I hope Mafia 3 is good.

Spiderman 2 was the best movie-based game of all time, too bad spiderman 3 2007 was garbage.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

I remember liking spiderman 3 when I was younger. I had it for the ps2 at the time. I played 3 on Xbox 360 and it had the worst controls I have ever played with.

17. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    I also had Spiderman 3, i remember think how amazing it was [face_laugh]. And this game i loved as a kid, its probably really horribad now but i loved busting drug dealers lol[​IMG]

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    These were all critical and commercial darlings, man. GTAIII was a bona fide pop culture phenomenon, Rogue Leader was one of the top-selling GCN games of all time, CoD4 literally changed the face of big-budget military shooters, Spider-man 2 sold well and was one of the most warmly received movie-based games ever made, and Rollercoaster Tycoon was a crossover smash hit that pulled in huge cross sections of game playing and non-game playing demographics.

19. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    First game i ever owned on my PS2, my cousin showed me the movie (Thinking back the movie was OK at best) and i loved it so he bought me the game. Another game i heard almost no one talk about. [​IMG]

Deliveranze and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  20. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007

I'm aware these are all incredible, successful games, however you almost NEVER hear anyone talk about them. GTA III is overshadowed by San Andeas, Vice City, IV, and V, NGC Rogue Leader is overshadowed by the overrated Rogue Squadron 64, COD4/WAW are overshadowed by the overrated MW2 and BLOPS, Spiderman 2 is a forgotten gem, and the newer 3D entries of rollercoaster tycoon have kinda tarnished the rollercoaster tycoon brand.

21. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I really liked this game. It's a cheesy generic FPS game not as good as its 2 predecessors but the gore gimmick makes it hilariously bloody.[​IMG]

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    You mean to tell me that people talk about more about a game's successors than the originals, especially years and years after they've been released? You don't say. Might as well call the original Super Mario Bros "underrated."

Life and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007

Can't really argue with that. :p

24. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deliveranze likes this.
  25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Feels a little odd mentioning a game so recent, but Mad Max doesn't get nearly enough love. To me it's an under-appreciated gem from this console generation.

Life and Deliveranze like this.