main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Underrated John Williams Scores

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Schindler's List and Close Encounters are far from underrated. They are two of Williams' most highly-regarded scores.

As for Saving Private Ryan... I think it's slightly overrated. I loved the film and "Hymn to the Fallen" is truly one of Williams' most emotional pieces, but the rest of the score is pretty low-key.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    WINNER for most Underrated JW score goes to.........Hook

This soundtrack comes close to the Indiana Jones sndtrks.

Schindler's List is somewhat underrated although I'd argue "The Patriot" is as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Another score you never hear about is his score for The Poseidon Adventure

5. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Superman!

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    "Not many people know that John Williams scored Jaws 2."

Ahhh, Jaws 2. I've seen the movie a bunch of times and I'm only now just starting to get into the soundtrack. I simply must find the CD. Without question a beautiful and underrated Williams' score.

But don't my word for it. You can find a few of the tracks from Jaws 2 here along with a ton of other Williams music.

I like the ability to stream the music the best.

7. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Not many people talk about the score for Home Alone, but I find it to be a very touching score. It is also one of the best scores that incorporate the Christmas spirit into the movie. The main theme Somewhere in My Memory is a personal favorite, and the whole soundtrack is filled with other traditional memorable themes such as Carol of the Bells and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. In fact, I view parts of this score as good as any Christmas music. Everyone knows this great score, but no one really mentions it since they believe the themes are just there; they aren't, this is an effort like Williams' previous to put When You Wish Upon a Star into the finale in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

8. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I like Home Alone, too. I used to watch the two films a lot as a kid and even then I found the music to be very enchanting. "Somewhere in my Memory" captures the Christmas spirit perfectly and I love listening to it on Christmas Day. Now if I could only find the soundtrack on sale again...

9. Carbonite

Carbonite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2001
    JW's music for the 'Harry Potter' trailer is excellent and hasn't been mentioned once...definitely underrated!

10. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I love the music for Home Alone - jsut about the only thing I like about that movie. ;) I think the burgler's theme fits their sneakiness just exactly. And the way the original music blends in with traditional Christmas songs is just perfect. :D

I loved the Harry Potter trailer music - gave me goosebumps. :D Can't wait to hear the whole soundtrack!

11. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I wouldn't call the trailer music for Harry Potter underrated at all. How can you consider a two minute peice to be underrated? There's no doubt it will be one of the most anticipated scores of this year though, just like Williams' other project, A.I.

A theme that is not so talked about is the Planet Krypton theme of Superman. Because the main theme and love theme are so dominant throughout the movie, this somewhat eeire and beautiful theme is overlooked by a lot of people. One of the most glorious moments of Superman: The Movie is when we arrive at the planet, and this theme soars with majesty. It also functions very well as a leit motif when Clark is discovering his origins and destiny.

12. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    The music to the Harry Potter trailer is very good, but I don't see how it can be considered underrated.

"The Planet Krypton" is a very good theme and it is indeed best heard when we first see the doomed planet. When people talk about the Superman score, they always mention "The Superman March", "The Flying/Love Theme" and even "The March of the Villains", but they often forget about this theme.

13. Carbonite

Carbonite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2001
    My comment on the 'Harry Potter' music's lack of praise had more than a little irony about it. But I just couldn't decide which of these damn smiley faces would best convey that, so I left it without one. 'The Philosopher's Stone' is sure to have a great score when finished, though.

But what about JW's theme for 'The Time Tunnel'. Now that is underrated...

14. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    The more I listen to it, I have to say "The Lost World". I love the use of those tribal drums, and I can see its influence in The Phantom Menace.

I agree with you, Son of the Suns, in saying that there are some terrific action cues. My favorite is the latter part of "Visitor in San Diego". I envision something similar being used in a certain scene in Episode 2, but I won't say which to keep folks spoiler free!

15. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Naw, I couldn't call the Harry Potter trailer music underrated. I was just saying I liked it. ;)

John Williams is doing A.I. too? I didn't know that; that's nifty! :)

I remember getting pretty excited when I heard the Lost World soundtrack, with its intense tribal rhythms, and wondering why I had never heard it before. Definitely underrated.

16. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I really like the tribal rhythms heard in TLW. The original Jurassic Park only had rhythms like that in the scene in which they enter the gate.

Yeah, Williams is scoring A.I (he's scored all but one of Spielberg's theatrical films). I can't wait til' the CD comes out later this month. Hope it's cool.

17. DromatheRyn

DromatheRyn Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2000
    One of my recent favorites that nobody seems to mention is JW's score for The Patriot.
    I love the emotional range involved. I mean it's not his best work, but it's still awsome.

18. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I like The Cowboys and March from 1941. We played them in our High school band and it was tons of fun.

19. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    The 1941 march is so catchy.

I think the most underrated score is probably Saving Private Ryan. I've generally read many complaints that it's not intense or thematic enough, but I'd argue that a big battle piece would not fit the context of the movie. The "Hymn to the Fallen" is thematic enough, and the general mood of the entire score matched the tone of the movie perfectly.

It's not nearly my favorite John Williams score, mind you - just the most underrated.

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I think the score to Saving Private Ryan works perfectly in the film. The somber music in the scene in which we see the aftermath of the battle at Omaha Beach is very moving. But aside from "Hymn to the Fallen", the score doesn't work that well outside of the film, IMHO.

21. Emperor Sebulba

Emperor Sebulba Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2000
    I would say Schindlers List

22. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Well I finally got the Jaws 2 CD today and I'm listening to it right now. Definitely underrated and it's a nice one. The End Title track is so soothing and despite its short length, is my favorite.

23. Admiral Maciejewski

Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 1998
    Lost in Space theme. Oh yea. I am not talking about that trashy movie either, I mean the original series.

24. ribi305

ribi305 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2001
    Umm...I don't know about under-rated, but you simplyu cannot beat Hook. Its so good, what can I say.

Oh, I can say that without a doubt, the most overrated score is the stupid ET Flying Theme. I am soooo sick of hearing that piece. Sure its good quality music and all, but I have heard it way too many times.

PS I really like Back to the Future too (not two), though I am not 100% sure this was JW

25. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    Back to the Future was composed by Alan Silvestri, not John Williams. For a comprehensive list of what JW has composed, click here.

And I dissagree about E.T's "Flying Theme". It's a very happy and uplifting piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.