main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most Underrated John Williams Scores

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Son of the Suns, Mar 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Munkaboo

Munkaboo Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    Speaking of Hook, there is a theme in there that sounds a LOT like Across the Stars, although i dont remember what it is. Because when i first heard Across the Stars, i knew it sounded familiar and i placed it with a song from Hook

ugh, how humiliating, on the first new page too! :D im aware theres another topic about this, :flame resistant shield:

2. use_the_force_luke

use_the_force_luke Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure this one hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think the most underrated score is Sabrina...

and the most overrated is AOTC (very little original work in it). I was most disappointed with it because I am a huge JW fan, and believe it could have been heaps better.

3. smegtrek2000

smegtrek2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2000

why does everyone always overlook Stepmom and The Patriot?

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I listened to the last track from Always online. Very good, but the friend of mine who sent me the track says there's not much more to the score than that.

Never heard anything from Sabrina, so I can't comment on that.

I've only listened to one track of Stepmom, "The Days Between", which is on the Greatest Hits CD. It was very different from the other JW works in that compilation. It's a soothing cue, but I'd have to listen to the full score to tell if it deserves to be overlooked or not.

The Patriot is a well-balanced score, but some feel it wasn't very original. Regardless, I found the love theme to be very sweet and the action music to be very exciting.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Up for current discussion.

6. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    This is still the most bizarre post this side of JEDI master Beal. Bravo, horatio, for standing the test of time. =D=

I'm guessing you mean the "Prologue" music. There are similarities in the feel of the music, but I don't think the notes or the tempo are alike at all.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Across the Stars and The Face Of Pan are remarkably similar in structure. Also a melody in ATS reminded me strongly of The Face Of Pan.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Actually, it's the theme that plays prominently as Tink flies Peter to Neverland that resembles Across the Stars. It has a similar structure and orchestration, but a very different feel.

Others theorized that ATS was a variation on Luke's Theme.

9. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Anyone up for The Reivers?:) Very up lifting, American sounding.

10. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    The only cue from The Reivers I've heard is the track from Greatest Hits: 1969-1999. Is the CD available anywhere?

11. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Only on the Amazon Market place.

12. Paradise in Naboo

Apr 30, 1999
    A shame.

I just heard the end credits from Family Plot on my Yahoo Radio station. A very whimsical sounding cue, not at all what I would expect from a Hitchcock film. Will this ever get a full release?

13. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Not until Universal changes their policies and open their vaults. Black Sunday is another score they have that I'd like...

ttbk

14. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    I would say Born on the Fourth of July score is underrated. The theme song is haunting and sad. It shows how Vietnam damaged America's spirit, and how we still are haunted by it. The JFK score is also really good.

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Appropriately, I listen to my Born on the Fourth of July CD on every July 4th. I would love to see a complete score release someday.

16. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Williams has some wonderful work that sounds like many of his fanfares in "Space Camp." the only recording I could find was a themes arragement by the Cincinati pops with Erich Kunzel.

~JW

17. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    There's a good complete bootleg of BotFoJ, but I'm not going to go into that rught now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.