main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Underrated Star Wars Character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Brewmeister Smith

Brewmeister Smith Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2014
    My choice is Lando, because he gets a lot of heat for being a traitor and he was nothing of the kind. I always thought his story arc was more about choice than about destiny or being guided by the Force. He represented the common man in that way more than Han did by the end, since Han's destiny inevitably joined with Leia's and Lando seemed more free to do what he wanted and he chose the Rebellion.

On Bespin Han, Leia and Chewie were the bait but it was Lando who made the terrible choice to betray Han, and it was a lot more complicated than to call him a Judas in my opinion. He was weighing many, many lives against Vader's wishes, since Vader would have kept killing everyone in his path until he had Luke. And Vader's wishes was to have the Falcon's crew as prisoners seemed to Lando to be a reasonable price. Then, seeing that Vader had Luke where he wanted him, he arranged for Leia, Chewie, the droids and himself to escape. It was another choice from a character who, at the time, we barely knew anything about and was free to move in any direction he wanted.

The most underrated moment in the Saga, when Luke allowed himself to fall into the abyss, wouldn't have happened without Lando. The Empire as Sidious and Vader ruled it was defeated when that happened, because Luke not only survived but also showed that even defeated, maimed and emotionally scarred (not to mention undertrained by his own choice), he would reject the Dark Side.

In the Battle of Endor, Lando even made tough choices in the heat of battle that even Admiral Ackbar didn't want to make. All of that is worth a case of Colt 45 and a cry of "Yee-Haa" in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think that TC-14 is an underrated character. I liked seeing what protocol droids normally do and her roboticness contrasted with C-3PO's "humanity". She also set off important events and her reaction to the battle droids was funny.

3. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Obi-Wan
    I don't think Anakin ever truly surpassed him in abilities. Anakin may have had more potential still, but we never see him reach that potential. At his peak in the PT he is at best marginally more skillful in the force as Obi-Wan. Yet, people like to act like he was obviously superior, when that was never shown in the movies.

Qui-Gon
    As great as Yoda's wisdom is, it doesn't match Qui-Gon's. His swordsmanship may not be great. We never really see him do much with the force. His wisdom though, is superior to the rest though.

4. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  5. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
  6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Just a general note, please edit posts if there is time left, as opposed to posting twice in succession. (Though it looks like you tried to do that and perhaps it didn't work.)

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Ki-Adi Mundi started off with his own comic before TPM, his scene from AOTC when he leads other Jedi aboard the Droid Control ship was cut entirely and then you barely see him in ROTS. For someone who started off equal to Yoda and Mace in the TPM it was very disappointing to see him virtually disgarded later on.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would go for Jango Fett. I thought he was everything Boba wanted to be but had not actually achieved. And I also feel that we didn't see nearly enough of him.

9. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Jar Jar Binks and particularly Boss Nass... They might just be the only characters in TPM that actually emote! Everyone else in that movie is so stoic and humorless, except for Anakin I suppose. Ahmed Best and Brian Blessed threw themselves into those roles and came up with something pretty unique. It's just a shame it didn't resonate with most of the moviegoing population.

Cael-Fenton and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Though she had little screen time in the films themselves, and we didn't see her character developed until TCW series, Luminara Unduli imho was the personification of Jedi integrity and equanimity. Poised and serene with incredible self-control and detachment. A Master of the Soresu lightsaber form. I place her on equal ground in many respects with Master Kenobi, and personally view her as his female equivalent in regards to her specific depth, knowledge and skill-set within the Force.

11. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. Her, and her apprentice Barris Offee are probably my favorite female Jedi. I know it's EU, but in the book "the approaching storm," they were really given a chance to shine. I wish that would've followed through to AOTC.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Opinion is divided about that book - I like it, and Alan Dean Foster books in general, but I've seen a lot of criticism of it in the Literature forum section.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I suppose it has its shortcomings, but as a direct lead in to AOTC, I suppose I should say I enjoyed it, more than others at least. More than Labyrinth of evil, for sure. If the story itself wasn't amazing, I at least enjoyed the portrayal of Luminara and Barris, And it was interesting to see How other Jedi relate with and react to Anakin as we know him in AOTC.

Ananta Chetan and Iron_lord like this.
  14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    For all of the flak that gets thrown at how stiff most of the human performances in the prequels are, its worth noting the lively and memorable attributes of almost all of the animated characters, which is a huge credit to ILM. Yoda, Watto, Dexter Jettster, and General Grievous are all fun and engaging, and while they all only play supporting roles, their presence on screen gives the prequels a needed injection of vitality.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Oh yeah, and I don't hate Jar Jar. He may be annoying, but there isn't a single scene in which I'm not believing his performance.

FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    JAR JAR BINKS!

Must I say more?

17. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
  18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Underrated: Qui-Gon
    Overrated: Boba Fett

19. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    Underrated: Jek Tano Porkins. The man proved that no matter your weight you can still make a difference!

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    He died a stupid death - what is this difference you refer to?

21. fives_is_alive

fives_is_alive Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2014
    Even though he may have died as you put it "a stupid death", he was still trying to destroy the death star just like the rest of his squadron. Although he may not have survived the attack I feel he should still get some of the credit. For all we know his contributions during the battle that we didn't see could have made an overall difference.

But as you were referring too maybe that doesn't make Jek an underrated character. I just find him to be a interesting change from what we would imagine a rebel to look like.

Sarge, Iron_lord and Ananta Chetan like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Dooku's underrated. He was a Sith Lord who dressed like a normal person and was never fully consumed by hatred. He wants to save the Republic from corruption.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Underrated: Leia!!! Her contribution is more often ignored than I can count. Luke is always credited with destroying the Death Star, but without Leia's efforts that wouldn't have been possible in the first place.

Also underrated: Every person that can't use the force. Many people are acting like mundanes are incapable of defeating force users despite this happening quite frequently in the movies and TCW.

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Dak Ralter's bravado. He wanted to take on the whole Empire by himself.

Sarge likes this.