main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MOTHMA - New Luceno bio novel this summer

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm wasn't saying you were one of them, you have more interesting nuances in your beliefs, I'm just saying they are also not drinking the blue milk on the nucanon.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There apparently aren't enough EU fans out there for LFL to even bat an eye about what they have done, so it doesn't really matter.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Stop trying to make Zeta feel better, he likes it like this.

Contessa and Dante1120 like this.
  4. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No, apparently I don't like anything.

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The first step is admitting it. :p

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I think there's a paragraph or two somewhere in an essential guide you like, Zeta. That is by its very nature is more than nothing.

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I like plenty of things, but because I don't like all of the EU or the new canon, my opinion on the matter is treated as irrelevant or at least weird. Oddly enough, the only Essential Guide I have, TERC, is one of my least favorite Star Wars books, because of how it handles the Clone Wars and the post-NJO.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Your opinion is neither irrelevant nor weird, the only problem we've ever had, Zeta, is that you would constantly bring it up in new canon threads for no reason.

Case in point: ten years ago, I was done with SW. LOTF/FOTJ weren't for me. But instead of complaining in every LOTF/FOTJ thread, I stayed out of it and just posted in threads about things I actually *did* like.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I wasn't around ten years ago when all of that was going down, so it was all new too me. I wasn't even aware of the fact Star Wars been headed in a direction I wasn't happy with until not long before I joined here. And now all of the active threads around here are about stuff I am not interested, even the Fleet Junkies thread is just about the new canon this and the new canon that now. So it feels like there isn't a whole lot to talk about.

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

[​IMG]

Come to me Zeta. Come to me.

11. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    That's kind of creepy

Ulicus likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    She could be the most likeable woman in the universe, and kind of was to a certain extent, but it isn't enough to make me enjoy the new canon. TFA completely failed to deliver as a worthy sequel to RotJ. Instead of moving the universe beyond the OT like one would expect a story set 30 years later to do, it just didn't try to do anything more than redo the OT at the expense of RotJ, without anything to connect it to the previous stories beyond several characters and a plot ripped right out of ANH.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Hey it made for a better story than the NJO would have though.I'm sure a lot of people would have walked right out of the theater if they started trying to explain how an alien invasion happened during that thirty year span.

14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Considering the two decade interval between the events of the Prequels and OT George Lucas must be the world's biggest hack for not having the characters and story move on from the events of the Revenge of the Sith instead of obsessing over the events of twenty years ago and the ramifications of them. ;)

And "Redo the OT at the expense of the RotJ"? The old EU did that; remember Dark Empire? It completely undoes everything about RotJ:

1. Empire is still continuing to fight post-Endor.

2. Palpatine's cloned / resurrected.

3. Luke Skywalker falls to the Dark Side (rendering Darth Vader's sacrifice moot in the process).

4. New planet-killing superweapons are developed (Eclipse, Galaxy Gun, World Devastator)

I mean everything, every single thing, the heroes thought the accomplished in RotJ is undone in Dark Empire. I am sensing a double-standard here.

Revanfan1 and AdmiralWesJanson like this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How does ROTJ mean the end of the Empire? Palpatine, Vader, 2nd Death Star, Executor, part of the fleet are gone. Not that the whole galaxy was free.
    A Galactic Empire with thousands of officers and ships is going to surrender and disappear over night?
    I like having Palpatine back. Luke and Leia battling Palpatine without help from Anakin? Sign me up.
    So because Luke resisted the Dark once, he can't fall ever again?
    Besides, he wanted to beat the darkness from the inside. What else was he supposed to do? He was all alone and the biggest bad guy ever someone survived death. How could you beat that?
    Galactic Empire. Funds, material etc. Have plenty of it. The 2nd set was a bit much though.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if Zeta hated Dark Empire too.

Karl0413 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT was quite distinct from the OT.

Who says the Empire has to die within a year after Endor, oh wait, it might as well not have even died because the First Order is the Empire 2.0.

Palpatine wanted to transcend death, as RotS firmly established, so he found a way.

Temptation cannot be defeated by a single choice, but by making the right choice when it matters, just as easily as it can be embraced by making the wrong choice when it matters.

The Death Star and Death Star II say hello.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well Zeta instead of calling it WWII we should have just called it WWI 2.0

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But it seems weird to
    1. stretch things to defend and justify Dark Empire
    while, at the same time,
    2. intensely criticizing every aspect of everything that's come out in the last 10 years, almost looking for a way to find fault with everything (and there's a lot of diversity in products produced in these last 10 years)

Karl0413 and darklordoftech like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I'm fully convinced Zeta just enjoys the drama of not liking things.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, you want a non-TFA related defense for Dark Empire, the first part of my previous argument is pretty much it. Who says the Empire basically died at Endor?

What does Dark Empire have to do with the last 10 years?

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Zeta posts the same rant again and again and again. Another Zeta-derailed rant, so he can once again let us know he despises everything that has to do with the non-Legends cannon and that he has not liked anything in the Legends cannon since roughly 2005.

Just save us time and post a link to a previous thread since your general argument is always the same. Always.

I've seen a few of your rare non-grumpy smurf rants, and your thoughts on those tend to actually be interesting and unique. And you actually contribute to a conversation.

We have received your message loud and clear for at least the last three years or so.

Do more unique, interesting critiques. For the love of Anakin's Holy Ghost.

Dante1120, Karl0413 and Vthuil like this.
  23. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    ...which one?

24. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    All I did was was voice my frustration with actually being interested in an April Fool's Joke, instead of what we are currently getting. Jamminjedi opened the can of worms by responding to my post by lauding the new canon.

25. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Yes, that is why in The Phantom Menace a ship carrying a high-level VIP is forced down around Tatooine, where a Force Sensitive kid joins the heroes, where the movie climaxes with a starfighter assault on a major weapon installation / warship (which even looks like the Death Star with a ring around it), which is taken out against all odds by a Skywalker flying a starfighter for the first time, and the seasoned old Jedi gets killed by the Emperor's enforcer, Palpatine's still the main bad guy, and they have to rescue a queen / princess, and the desert kid is infatuated with said royalty, and...oh I could keep going on and on here. TPM has about as much in common with ANH as TFA, if not more so. :p

Yes, it is an Imperial successor state much like the Pentastar Alignment or the Empire of the Hand in the old EU. Your point?

Yes, but several people feel it cheapens Darth Vader's sacrifice in killing him in RotJ.

Kind of like Kylo Ren and Han Solo on the walk way? ;)

Starkiller Base waves back. [:D] After all, it is an Imperial superweapon developed from Death Star tech.

Oh, I just thought that when you said you wanted them to "move the universe beyond the OT" you didn't want to see the Imperial Remnant or any Imperial successor state as the main threat. Because that's what moving beyond the OT means: no Star Destroyers, no Stormtroopers, no TIE fighters or any other TIE variants, no Imperial Remnant or any Imperial successor state, no Imperial Grand Admirals, no resurrected Emperor, no more Skywalkers falling to the Dark Side, absolutely nothing that would be in-vocative of the struggles in the OT or featuring the same antagonists as in the OT.

Because Dark Empire is about one step removed from The Force Awakens in themes, world-building and general concept. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.