main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Motion tracking trouble /or w/e

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by CountLucifer, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountLucifer

CountLucifer Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2007
    Its known as motion tracking isnt it?

when we move the objects around?

Well in my fan film i have a scene where an escape pod ejects from a Lambada Shuttle Class II
    and heads for tatooine. Thats the easy part.

The problem im having is that when i show it crashing in a desert area, im having difficulty
    doin the movement thngs...i.e i cant move it properly..if i try the forward-down-forward-down method it looks artifical...can anyone help me please??

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Motion Tracking is where a program tracks the motion of an object in a video, there's also Camera Tracking where it tracks many points in from live-action footage and uses the points to recreate the camera movement in the 3D program.

Moving objects around would be just moving objects around, or if you want to be technical it would be called Translate.

So what issue are you really having? Are you having problems moving the objects? What program are you using? And what is this forward-down-forward-down method you speak of?

3. CountLucifer

Nov 13, 2007
    Right..to explain...

Its movement trouble.
    Im having trouble moveing the objects like
    diagnolly...or in curves.

I dont want to use splines...i mostly use auto key

Im using 3ds max9 btw..

so in this scene the lifepod falls from the sky in a diagnol curvy topsy motion....

Any help?

P.S : the forward-down-forward-down motion is something i made up -.-"

its like if i wanna move something diagnolly...i rotate it...then move it forward...take the slider ahead...then move it down...and repeat.

4. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    In 3ds Max there is a handle on the manipulation gizmos (move rotate scale) that allow you to change them in more than one direction, so if you're trying to move the object in a diagonal direction you can go to like a left/right view and move your cursor over the move gizmo until both move arrows are highlighted and there's a square between the arrows, if you grab that square you can move it anywhere without moving it over then down to go in a diagonal move. I usually go from one view (like left) and then go to a top view and move it.

If you want to go in a curved path, like instead of just going in a straight diagonal you want it in a curve you can set the beginning keyframe position and endpoint position and then go somwhere in the middle and move the object a little bit outward, so for instance if you are going down from right to left you would go to the middle and move it slightly down and right so that it's more in a curve.

By default Max creates movement in curved motion rather than just going at a constant speed from keyrame to keyframe. Natural motion has objects speeding up when they start and slowing down when they try to stop. So with this sort of animation creating that keyframe in the middle will make it go in a curve. There's a way to change it by going through the Curve Editor, but most of the time you don't have to.

5. CountLucifer

Nov 13, 2007
    well...thanks for that...

btw my lines(whatever)the arrows that appear at the time when you click the move panel...or the circle from the scale panel...have dissapeared...how to bring em back?

6. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Go to the Customize menu, then click on Preferences. Then select the Gizmos tab and make sure the check box has them enabled.

7. CountLucifer

Nov 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.