main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Motivation of our new bad guy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Donald Driver?

Toonimator and yogacat like this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    burn it all

3. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    For me the break down is split into two.

*If its Plagueis, his motivation has always been complete control of the universe.

*If its a new Villain, I don't believe their motivation would be for complete control of the universe. After so many years of war any logical person would come to realize that complete control is impossible. The constant rebellion would always be an issue and a threat. So where does that leave our new villian?

Greed? Revenge? Lust? Pure Anger/Chaos? Attachment?

With all the rumors about a Sith collector, maybe its about lust?

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  4. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

I agree with you re: too many villains. The OT has this wonderful structure where, in the first film, we have Darth Vader and Tarkin as the military/political heads of the empire. As the second film unfolds, Vader's role is deepened with the introduction of the Emperor and Han Solo gets a more direct antagonist in the form of Boba Fett. The general antagonistic force remains the same, and each branch seems to assault one of the heroes in particular.

If Christie is an inquisitor or just a really advanced Stormtrooper, she seems to be designed as Boyega's primary antagonist. I suspect that Adam Driver's character is paired against "Kira," while the rumored Serkis Sith character may be intended to be Luke's rival. Still though, I'm wary about a whole lot of stuff being dropped on us all at once.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  5. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    I'd say that it'd be more of a main antagonist then secondary antagonists. Vader was always more Luke's personal villain, though he really didn't become it until the next film. Not every character NEEDS to be a direct counterpart; AS could just be an overall villain.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Luke bullseyed the baddie's pet womp rat 35 years ago and now he will have his revenge.

Grilled Hutt and Michaea like this.
  7. Red_Leader_313

Nov 30, 2014

Of course, I'm not suggesting that it needs to be this way, just that a way to justify a huge collection of villains is to prescribe them as direct challenges in the protagonists' respective arcs.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He'll have 40 cakes stolen from him, and that's terrible.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    But the Tarkin novel says that The Emperor planned to study the dark side until he use it to warp reality and be a god.

10. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Considering how Plagueis and Palpatine's experiment ended up when they tried, wouldn't be a good idea if he had really planned that.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

But that's what I mean. Palpatine was concerned with this realm, with reality. To him, cheating death and living was more powerful than achieving life after death.

Additionally, his dominion was political. He wanted to rule the secular, not the religious. We even call him The Emperor, or Palpatine, the name he chose to sneak into society in order to trick it and earn his place as ruler.

You mention Tarkin knowing he was a Sith because of the new book...but judging by the ANH, I'm not so sure he was. (Remember all those Mofs and other higher ups, all degraded Vader and his silly sorcerer's ways. If they knew that the Emperor was in fact a force using Sith Lord would they be saying the same thing. Doubtful) I'm not so sure that many people in the Empire really knew anything about Palpy true nature, or the Sith at all.

I'm saying that new baddie might be more concerned with the larger religious theology of the Sith and choose not to hide in the shadows. The new baddie might want everyone to know that he's a Sith.

We should look at past Sith baddies, their names and characters all meant something.

Maul: Absolute rage.
    Tyrannis: (Another Sith who went by his given born/political name) Absolute rule. A fallen Jedi who led the separatists away from the Republic.
    Sidious: Probably from insidious...to sneak, hide, or gradually take effect.
    Vader: Invader...or it just sounds cool. Or German for Father.
    Plagueis: Plague? Sickness? Disease?

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Didn't we learn from Heath Ledger's Joker, that an Antagonist doesn't really NEED a specific motivation? Just be evil and try to do evil in general can be motivation enough!

[​IMG]

Import_Jedi likes this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

Yup. Agreed.

The Galaxy seems to be in lawless, orderless state. We have multiple sides vying for control, yet none of them really have it. There's no real central Imperial power, no thriving New Republic, no New Jedi Order and the Sith Order were supposedly wiped out.

Under all of that, we have a generation of new characters growing up within a chaotic Galaxy. As the heroes may try to form new systems or government or civilization, our antagonist might simply be there to represent the chaos. They might exist without any Sith Order tying them down to a dogma. Rather, free rogue agents who simply want to take advantage of the rotten state of the galaxy.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Man, posting that last post about the Joker... when I get a chance, I need to do a Nolan Batman Marathon... it's been months since I've watched those films, and Heath Ledger's Joker was phenomenal!

Anyway.. back to the thread... I agree, this will be about those taking advantage of the current state of the Galaxy most likely. Chaos currently reigns, and someone or many someones, wants to keep chaos above order.

[​IMG]

Jcuk and Import_Jedi like this.
  15. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    What if Serkis' character is one of The Emperors flunkies, those dudes who hang around him in the OT?

He survived but the Empire didn't respect or care about him and his devotion to the Dark Side?

He's not a Sith as such, just a sort of twisted Sith follower collecting bits and pieces of Sith stuff, researching the Sith holocrons and somehow knew to hang around for the arrival of Lukes Lightsabre?

He might make contact with Driver somehow, luring him to the Dark Side to fulfill some prophecy which involves Luke and the Sith home world.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Serkis is a member of the Peculiar Hat Crew? Yes please!

17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Serkis?
    [​IMG]

Oh... wait, you said HAT, not CAT... my bad!

18. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014
    He is motivated by sex and nachos. I mean, who wouldn't be?

yogacat and TK327 like this.
  19. Red_Leader_313

Nov 30, 2014

Joker's motivation wasn't to merely be evil for evil's sake. Granted, he doesn't seem to be motivated in the same way traditional villains are - desire for money or something like that - but he has very clear goals in that film, and they are not to just "be evil." Why is the way he is and how he became the villain are mysteries better left unexplained, and part of what makes him a fascinating character, but his goals are very specific.

Import_Jedi and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  20. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014
    In other words....
    [​IMG]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

The Meh Sith Order led by the dark lord Darth Mediocritous

Michaea likes this.
  22. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Motivations of our new bad guy? Sorry, I have no idea what SpoilerMan's motivations were, other than to grab 15 minutes of fame as an epic troll...

23. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Power of course but I wouldn't wind if the motive was pure destruction and chaos and nothing more.just wanna set the Galaxy on Fire.

24. Uncircumsized Wookie

Uncircumsized Wookie Jedi Knight

Dec 6, 2014
    So the new villain will be goth? Interesting.

25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Okay, here is another angle.

Let's assume that those drone pics of Driver in a flight suit means that he starts off as part of the Alliance. He's a pilot who has seen a lot of death and destruction, remember the ongoing war between systems allied to the Alliance and the Empire have been raging on and off for 30 years.

Maybe he crashes, or is injured and feels betrayed by the Alliance? He's always been a bit of a loner/outcast/maverick with sharp reflexes and a sort of sixth-sense in battle, he ends up meeting Serkis' character somehow and he leads him down the Dark path.

Driver realises that his abilities were latent Force powers, which he quickly develops with the help of Serkis who isn't Force-sensitive but a bit of a Sith-religious nut who collects Sith paraphenalia and holocrons . Driver is clearly the powerful one in this dynamic which would match with our spoiler reports.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.