main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto Mourning

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SamwiseGamgee, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    On this very sullen day I am reminded of a man very important to me. He was the most important person I ever knew, is one of the few reasons I am alive today, and is the sole force driving me to do anything in my life.

My grandfather, a veteran of WW2, suffered endless hardships durring his lifetime and despite all the problems, he fought through it all. He taught me about hard work. He taught me about nature. He taught me patriotism. He taught me that family is the most important thing there is.

He was highly respected and while his methods were not always the cleanest, he got the job done and never let you down.

He left me his name and his legacy and because he was such an incredible man I try my hardest to live up to that and honor him.

Some of you have commented on my loyalty and on how you think I am a nice guy. I am not. But because of everything he was, I try with my entire soul to be the best person I can. His heart was bigger then any man i have ever known, but should you try to cause harm or foul to any member of his family you would pay dearly.

I am what I am because I was born of his blood and for that I owe him everything.

So today, as our nation pays respect to the men and women who fought in years past to keep our land safe, I pay respects to the man who spent his life suffering and sacrificing so that I may be here to talk to you. Today I honour his legacy. On this day I mourn my loss.

James Patrick Sheridan 1
    August 1st, 1912 - January 2, 2000

If any of you have similar stories, have someone you wish to pay respects to, or would just like to honour the fallen, then please do so. I do not wish this thread to be solely mine but felt it necesary to explain what I am feeling this day as a mean sof dealing with it. Also this may bring to light many issues that concerned parties have been confused about in recent days as I go through shifts in behaviour, mood and attitude.

2. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
  3. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    My grandpa was a Veteran of WW1 and WW2. In WW1 he was in the calvary stationed in the Argon Forest. I'm not sure where he was during WW2, but he was definitely there. He would have been 107 this February. :(

4. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    This is a very good idea James.

My Great Grandfarther, Sydney Preston, was killed during the london blitz defending his country, at the time my grandmother was only 4 years old, and while my great grandmother was 6 months pregnant with her fifth child.

Every year, when we take a moment to reflect on this day, I always take a moment to thank him for the sacrfrice that he made.

5. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    My grandfather used to tell us stories about being a soldier during WW2, but only the lighter aspects, like how he'd ride on the horses who always loved him because he carried sugar in his pockets. I think about him today as much as I did yesterday, and as much as I will tomorrow.

6. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    My favorite story my grandfather told (becuase they were few...since he didn't want us to have to experience what he had) was the time he was trapped in Mexico, and stole a Donkey which he rode back to Canada. The boarder patrol had no idea what to make of it. ;)

7. Casey-Jones

Casey-Jones Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2003
  8. Darth_Sunder

Darth_Sunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2001
    Well I can remember a good man that was stationed in Africa. A mechanic that kept the tanks running.

Tanks that were used to help defend the lines.

When he returned to Scotland. And quickly relocated to Canada where he met a good woman that had recently lost her husband.

That man again helped save lives on a more personal front. A good woman, and her beloved son.

That hero had a last name.

It was Percy.

:)

9. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
  10. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    Wow...just got word that someone i know back home died. It was an ex-gf of Peppers...so I appologize I if I am a little out of it tonight.

11. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    wow guys , cool thread . my great uncle was in the navy . thats about it in my family . i do have a few friends that are in the air force . two of them are active members of the RMFF . yesterday i did spend a moment paying respects to the people that keep me free .

12. OddlingChild

OddlingChild Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2003
    It is very strange to me that they gave us a country so we give them an hour on one day a year. Not even an hour, one shot a minute on canons for 21 minutes in Queen's park in Toronto. And still cars are driving all around honking. Every time a canon goes off a car alarm follows. People sit in their cars watching 40 feet behind them, with the motor running so they dont get cold.
    Atleast this year there were more people. I'm not sure how I could properly express how grateful I am to them.
    I think the sadest thing in the world is to think of them in the trenches, or in planes on boats, in submarines, in hospitals, and thens eeing them selling poppies in the subway stations. They should charge 20 dollars a piece for those.
    Im going to slap the next person I see talking or shifting weight from foot to foot during the anthem, I really am. After it's over of course.

13. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    I too find it highly sad the disrespect people have. Millions of people fought and died to stop great acts of evil and tryanny. Those that survived often suffered severe trauma. And all we can do is shut up for a few minutes. Spend a dollar on a plastic replica of a poppy. Its sickening to me. That is why I honor my grandfather, by fighting in my own life for what is just. I fight to help those around me. I try to be the best person I can be. I dont think I succeed very well but still I try.

I also think its disrespectful for a family to ban their daughter's first love from her funeral when he is obviously distraught and hurt and wants to say goodbye to someone important to him...and then threaten his life.

14. SamwiseGamgee

Oct 25, 2003
    UPDATE: Pepper is in rough shape right now. I don't know what I can do to help him but if any of you want to contact him to send your regards I can give you the information. I would greatly appreciate it. PM me for the info. If anyone is going to be out that way (East end of the GTA) it would be awesome to drop by and vissit. Due to prior engagements I can't get there. But any help would be appreciated. I am very worried about him.

15. Sabia_Ronit

Sabia_Ronit Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    I find it extremely disrespectful that there is only a moment of silence every 365 days a year! I mean...look at Ypres. They stop everything (including traffic throughout the town) EVERY night of the year. They pause for a moment of silence and then play "Tapps". How appropriate is this? I mean...no one even has the chance to let the freedom be taken for granted. That way, they always remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.