main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mouse Look in Dark Forces?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Here it is, months later, but I finally got around to actually d/ling what I was told to...unfortunately, that only works on Win XP and NT I think. :/

I have Win98...so, what do I do?

2. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I finally got a chance to really play the game, for the first time in about 4 years. That is a darned good little game, I must say. And I was playing without sound!

The reason why I write this however, is I find there are more problems than just the sound. I am not sure, I may actually need a new disk, I think I might have a faulty one. See, not only is there no sound, but it doesn't save my player name. Every time I start it up (and I don't know if I'm even starting it up the way I sposed to- I go to my computer, and go in the folder, and click on "Dark", which is a dos thingy), it shows there are no players, and I hafta make a new one.

Is there any way I can fix this, or do I hafta hope I can find Dark Forces at a store somewhere?

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It sounds like you are launching the game straight from the CD rom (or the shortcut points to the cd-rom). If you install the files on your hard drive, then the player should save.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    From lucasarts.com's support page;

http://support.lucasarts.com/YHDscripts/cpd.exe?COMMAND=iGetDetails&ACTION=24&iSourceName=dforces.cbs&SERVER=1.1&iSessionId=11495&iSequenceNo=4&iFormat=lucasarts&iCurrentDescription=save%20game&iIncludeInfo=1

Start the game from the DARK.EXE file installed on the hard drive

If the game is started from the DARK.EXE file located on the CD rather than the DARK.EXE located on the hard drive, the autosave and sound features will not be available.

5. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    It's official- JP is a god :p

Seriously, thanks! If you knew how many *years* I've been working on this! I never even thought that I might be launching it from the wrong location. I'll hafta pass this onto my friends, who have had the exact same problem with the game for almost as long.

Thanks again :)

Oh, and one more thing- I'm wondering, is it worth it to make the boot disk? I mean, what does it do?

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    >> If you knew how many *years* I've been working on this! I never even thought that I might be launching it from the wrong location. Thanks again <<

You're welcome. Though the answer has been in the lucasarts.com support pages for years. :p

>> Oh, and one more thing- I'm wondering, is it worth it to make the boot disk? I mean, what does it do? <<

You only need that if the game doesn't launch (normally due to himem issues). It'll start the PC in DOS mode and launch the game from there.

7. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    While we're on about sound, has anyone found a soundblaster emulator for Win 98? VDM sound only works on 2000+ versions.

I've only got an onboard soundcard, and I can get some digital sound, but it's stuttery and sounds garbled.

Any ideas folks? :D

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What sound are you getting? FX, voice, music?

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Also try this thread for various hints and tips. :)

10. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Once again JP, you are the man! :D
    For the record, and any future readers with the same problem, to get my cacky old onboard soundcard working, I selected SoundblasterPro from the list, then all the default settings (port, irq, dma) and it's cool.

I'm not sure about music mind, that's just FX. That being said, I'm gonna be whacking on a bit of the old Cannibal Corpse when I'm playing anyhow :p

As usual though, I've got one more question... I've been through this thread and the one you referenced JP, looking up the Mouselook. In my setup screen, I can't see a bind for Mouselook up & down, just the look up and look down keys, which are two separates.

In Keyboard Configuration, I've got:
    Turn Left
    Turn Right
    Forward
    Backward
    Fire Primary
    Fire Secondary
    Crouch
    Nudge
    Jump
    Strafe Left
    Strafe Right
    Strafe Mode
    Speed Mode
    Slow Mode
    View Up
    View Down

In Mouse Configuration I've got:
    Mouse
    Turn left / right
    Forward / Backward
    Forward
    Backward
    Fire
    Crouch
    Nudge
    Jump
    Strafe Mode
    Speed Mode
    Slow Mode

There is a Look Up / Down option in Joystick Configuration but that's only assignable to a joystick button.

I know I'm being a whinger for wanting full mouselook, is mine a different version without mouselook? :(

Alternatively, is there a config file I can access through notepad that'll change it?

Cheers again,
    Yen :D

11. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000

...anyone? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.