main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Move out of the way XP, Here comes Java, Linux

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cbielich, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbielich

cbielich Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2002
    I have to go to dinner now, but I am going to write something tonight. Dont worry cause I have not even busted out my guns yet :)

C

2. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    Im not busting anybodies chops here, really. Okay the cute toy comment maybe was a little. If you like Linux thats cool and all, and yes its more stable than windows, but if I had nothing installed on windows it would be just as stable too, opps that was some chop busting, wasn't it? Im sorry, Ill try to stop, crap!!! I tripped over something, oh the applications I can run on Linux.

Man, how did I trip over something so small? Must be the amount of things I can do with windows weighing me down. Crap, I did it again, not meaning to bust up those choppy things honest.

3. Moka

Moka Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Chops! Busted! Busted! Chops! Cops! Chops! Busted! Busted!

4. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Some food for thought...

Windows Vs Linux

A study of total costs of ownership over five years for working corporate infrastructure shows that lower staffing expenses are a large part of an 11-22% cost advantage for Windows. For file-server workloads in particular:

Staffing expenses were 33.5% better.
    Training costs were 32.3% better.

Microsoft-sponsored benchmarks prove that multiple Windows Web servers perform better than a Linux mainframe acting as a Web server consolidator. An independent review by Meta verified the integrity of the results.

"The Total Economic Impact of Developing and Deploying Applications on Microsoft and J2EE/Linux Platforms"
    John R. Rymer, Vice President
    Giga Research
    Analyzing real-world custom application-development projects pinpoints areas where Microsoft tools save money: lower product costs, lower labor costs due to simplified development processes, and lower maintenance costs. The cost advantage of Windows was:

28.2% less for large enterprises.
    25.0% less for medium organizations.

An analysis based on enterprise architecture requirements shows that Microsoft technologies are nearly one-third the cost to implement compared with IBM WebSphere products when building a browser-based order-entry system. Plus:

Microsoft has better tools support.
    The Microsoft® .NET open-language architecture provides high flexibility.

In terms of time and complexity, deploying Microsoft Windows is easier and faster than deploying Red Hat Linux, whether installing from scratch or configuring an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation. A full Windows installation:

Is nearly three hours faster.
    Requires 77% fewer steps.

WebBench test results show higher throughput for Windows compared with two Linux operating systems. Testing included combinations of static and dynamic content requests targeting server configurations of 1?8 processors. In a 4-processor configuration, Windows:

Has 276% better peak performance for static transactions.
    Has 63% better peak performance for dynamic content.

File-server benchmarks measured superior peak performance for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition compared with Red Hat Linux in all hardware configurations from 1?8 processors. In 2-processor tests, Windows delivered:

Twice the performance of Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1.
    86% better performance than Red Hat Linux 8.0 Professional.

Embedded systems design on Windows has lower costs, needs fewer engineers, and finishes faster than on Linux, based on an analysis of 100 active development projects. When using Windows:

Average total cost of development was 72.6% lower.
    Engineers per project were 44% fewer.
    Time to market was 43% faster.

BOOYAH! (This should get seriously ugly now)

5. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
  6. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    did you just call one of the people who'll be a GM in a game your playing tomorrow a nerd?

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
  8. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    your character dies, role up a new one

9. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  10. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  11. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  12. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Nerds

Oh, and Axia, is the game you speak of a Role Playing Game inside of an Online Role Playing Game? It is?!?

NERDS!

13. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  14. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  15. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Hey, C, can you play Galaxies on Linux?

16. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  17. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  18. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Yes, you need to answer my question.

19. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
  20. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    I applaud you. Though I would have thrown out there that there's not a very good chance of you getting a virus on a Linux box. Although the possibilities are infinite on a Windows box. Yes I currently use Windows, but that will be changing soon. I'm soon going to be working with someone that is going to be making me learn Linux, but I plan to start learning before that because i finally have all the parts i need to complete my computer. it will become a Linux box. and when i get a bigger harddrive (something bigger than 6GB hehehe) it will have Windows on it just for Galaxies. Ok, that's my 2 cents. Although I was kinda all over the place...kinda....I think you get the point.

21. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    I will post something soon. And I'll try not to insult you as you did me "All in good fun."

22. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
    Hey Axia I recieved a phone call from someone saything that my response in one line was a little harsh. I in no way was pissed off or angry I was just having fun. I just wanted to let you know that I edited that line about going back to school and I apologize if I came out to harsh. I was just having fun with the Windows vs. Linux thing. Dont hate me :)

C

My Bad :)

23. Kleff_Rixxard

Kleff_Rixxard Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2001
    Wow, MoronDude was right, you are a buncha nerds.

24. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    SOCK ALERT!

25. cbielich

Jun 4, 2002
    Sock Alert?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.