moved from eu com... questions for a fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by IcePirate, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. IcePirate Force Ghost

star 2
    For a fanfic I'm developing, I am creating a smalltime technology manufacturing company. I know there are "Star Wars terms" for some of the occupations within the company, but my mind has blanked on what they are and the Wook isn't really helping at the moment.

What is the term for someone that designs starships?
    someone that designs the area that Star Trek would call "Engineering"?
    someone that designs cybernetic implants?

I might have more questions to add to this once i find my notes, whereever they went.
  2. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Why not call a spade a spade, or rather a 'starship designer' a 'starship designer'? Personally I'd rather read a well written story that has 'normal' names for things than a story that tries to Star Wars-ify everything. I can't think of any reason why the engineering section would be called engineering.

I'm probably not helping but what I'm really trying to say is to not worry about using the 'right' words and finding out what they are when 'normal' words do just fine.
  3. IcePirate Force Ghost

star 2
    that's not exactly what i meant. i wasn't looking for some weirdly spelled word or anything like that. i was leaning towards "starship designer" but i think there is a more appropriate term out there that fits with star wars better. i just don't remember what it is.

I guess I should be more specific with what I mean, too. I view that there are more that one type of starship designer: One for the exterior (which I'll call an Astrodynamic Engineer), One for life support systems (need a name), one for weapons systems (need a name), one who designs the area on how the propulsion systems work, how they work together, and how to interface them (identical to whoever designed the engineering deck in st:tng in universe, not who works there... need a name), etc.

I answered my own question about the cybernetic part with "cyberneticist".
  4. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
  5. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    I think we're talking about engineers here. Maybe "design engineers."
    Looking to the real world of space flight for guidance, NASA lists jobs like "Advanced Life Support Systems Engineer", "Propulsion Engineer" (self-explanatory), "Avionics Technician" (works on the electronics systems in flying things), "Chief Of Guidance and Propulsion Systems", "Deputy Chief of Propulsion and Fluid Systems Branch" (I think these might be more management positions), etc.
  6. IcePirate Force Ghost

star 2
    yeah, closer to that.... thanks!
  7. Mechalich Force Ghost

star 4
    Engineer is probably the correct category. It is worth noting that many famous Star Wars designers such as Bevel Lemelisk or Raith Sienar are usually referred to as engineers.

Cyberneticist is actually a canon term (insofar as there is a wookiepedia entry for it anyway).
  8. Jedi_BMK Jedi Master

star 4
    As someone who works on spacecraft for a living, that's exactly how it works. In general, just use the term (Part You're Interested In) Engineer.

As far as the ones you mentioned:

One for the exterior (which I'll call an Astrodynamic Engineer)

As goofy as it sounds, the exterior shape has little to due with the actual astrodynamics. The vacuum of space makes aerodynamic shapes unnecessary unless you plan on having a craft that flies in space and atmosphere like the shuttle. Satellites aren't remotely aerodynamic and the bodies are designed by the spacecraft structural team. The astrodynamics come more from the way the thrusters and propulsion systems are set up with regard to mass distribution. This is why spacecraft have mass properties engineers. What you'll want to call this person is up to you. Use Astrodynamic Engineer if that's what you're comfortable with since I'm one a handful of people who would actually think of it in the way I just described and you certainly don't need to cater to me.

One for life support systems (need a name)

These guys are literally called Life Support Systems Engineers.

one for weapons systems (need a name)

Weapons Engineer I suppose but most weapons are designed by teams with each working on their area of expertise (targeting, electronics, etc.)

one who designs the area on how the propulsion systems

Propulsion System Engineer

how they work together, and how to interface them (identical to whoever designed the engineering deck in st:tng in universe, not who works there... need a name)

In the aerospace business, the guys who keep track of how everything goes together are the Systems Engineers. They're the guys who really run the show. The actual human/computer interfaces are a field of study onto themselves and I'm having trouble coming up with the right term. The engineering deck itself would be designed by a multidisciplinary team most likely working under a Systems Engineer or some sort.

Regardless, I think that should point you in the right direction.
  9. IcePirate Force Ghost

star 2
  10. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Here are a few terms to throw in:

Human systems integration
    Ergonomics
    Interface Designer/Engineer/Etc

Are those any help?
  11. Lilith Demodae Force Ghost

star 4
    Usability is another interface term.

Also, you may want to include the System Integration Team. They're the ones that make sure all the systems speak to each other the right way and get all the separate parts working together.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.