main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Salisb, NC Movie Critics Corner

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by star0258, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star0258

star0258 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2007
    Hello everybody! RipRoar had a great idea posting about the movie he had just seen "The Golden Compass". I am expanding on his idea and creating a thread that is a place for us to discuss any and all movies we've seen or been interested in!

See a great movie this weekend? Let us know! Pay a lot of money to sleep in a theater? Send out a warning!

I'll ask that if you are going to be posting spoilers though that you at least warn at the beginning of your post "CONTAINS SPOILERS" so the other readers can skip it.

The sky's the limit! Any movie is fair game...so what are your thoughts?

2. star0258

star0258 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2007
    i'll get us started.
    Movie: August Rush
    Rated PG for swear words only this is one of the best movies i've seen so far. I went with my mother and 17year old brother and they both liked it! There's no sex, no violence, and no general crudeness. Overall a great movie to take your family to (as long as they are old enough to not need cartoons.)
    Basic plot is an orphaned boy sets out on a search to find his biological parents through music. Can't tell you anymore because I detest spoilers, but it really is a great feel-good movie!
    *also a great date movie guys! ;-)

3. IamaSith

IamaSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2007
    ok - I'll play...

I saw The Golden Compass - it was a little slow to start off but that's because of the story building that had to take place since most don't know the story... THEN it was a FUN RIDE - the bear fight was the best!!!!

4. SmashVadersFist

SmashVadersFist Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2007
    I will throw in on this. Since my DVD collection contains over 400 movies it is safe to say that I love to watch them.

My latest pick: Blood and Chocolate - it was made by the same people who did The Covenant and the Underworld movies. It is what is best referred to as a werewolf love story. It is not the typical blood and guts slasher werewolf movie though. It deals with the original legends of people who were human with the power to turn into wolves, not monsters as modern day movies show it. Since I bought this movie I have watched it about a dozen times. And for a movies of this type there is almost no sex or gratuitous violence.

5. RipRoar

RipRoar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah - we need to have a screening in place of Game night sometime in January for the movie you offer up Smash... would like to see it!

6. star0258

star0258 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2007
    I'd love to see it too! It sounds like a neat movie; i really liked the underworld movies.
    A movie screening would be a neat change of pace!

7. slaveone28146

slaveone28146 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2007
    Just seen the movie I am Legand the other day. I was a great movie and I would recommend it to anyone.

8. Darth_Phanax

Darth_Phanax Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2007
    Yeah That looked really good to me too!

9. Magic_Vader_83

Magic_Vader_83 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 27, 2007
    ok I got two. They happen to be amongst my favorite films of ALL time right up there with Star Wars.

1. Leon the Professional

2.The Boondock Saints

Both have alot in common with each other but leon is about a Hitman in New York who obviously seems to be a loner and disturbed in that this is all he knows but you can see something inside of him wants out. Such as he longs for a normal life and has very strong morals as far as what is right and wrong. Though he is professional, he has a soft side and is overly OCD. He meets a 12 yr old girl played by Natalie Portman (AWESOME) and she befriends him. To start the story her family is Gunned down by Fake cops and she is forced to seek refuge with the Hitman. They become friends and the rest of the movie is a delightful relationship between girl and Hitman. FANTASTIC film by Luc Besson.

The Boondock Saints is a story of two irish brothers just outside of quit town Boston and they get heckled by a Russian Mob boss. One thing leads to another and they end up going around killing anyone who does evil such as mafia lords, drug lords, crime bosses, you name it. They befriend an FBI agent played by Wilem Dafoe and he eventually helps them take out the main crime lord. Great film with tons of Kick butt action and plenty of comedy and awesome music. Rated R so for adults only. As is the Professional.

10. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    HITMAN! haven't seen it, SEE IT! you know adults only but MAN this made the Transporter look like looney toons! Very good action flick HIGHLY recomended!

11. SmashVadersFist

SmashVadersFist Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2007
    Hitman is based on the video game of the same name. I have not seen it yet and will most likely just buy it on DVD. The professional is a classic and also Nattalie Portman's first film. The Transporter and Transporter 2 are both in my collection. They are made more in the style of asian action films which teeter heavily on the unbelievable. You almost need to be a fan of these types of movies to value them for what they are, pure entertainment.

I have no new movies to offer up but my next ones will most likely be Witchblade: The animated series (from Japan) and Ghost in The Shell 2: Sec Gig Season 2 (also from Japan). In case you didn't know I am a huge fan of anime.

12. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    I knew that! And I agree about Transporter 1 and 2 being purely for entertainment. Even the second one is shot through some kind of filter that makes it look more fake and draws your attention even more to the fact that it is not real. Very well done though. But I think Hitman is much better just because I am a HUGE fan of the second game. Which I have beaten. LOL

13. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    Here is a classic in the world of Comedy. Planes Trains and Automobiles! Rated R but the only questionable part is when he returns to the Rental Place at the airport and every second word is a wordy dird. A few others here and there but teaches a valuable lesson about the way we should treat other people. Very HILLARIOUS along the way too as different things happen to John Candy and Steve Martin as they travel together.

14. slaveone28146

Oct 15, 2007
    I went and seen 2 movies this week. They were AVP and National Tresure 2. Avp sucked and would not recommend it at all but the other one was great. Two thumbs up.

15. IamaSith

IamaSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2007
    NEWS to plan events around:

There are two movies the group may want to consider planning events around. Rip is already working on the Star Wars related one.

Movie: The new Dungeon Siege Movie
    Obviously with the group playing D&D all the time this is a no brainer.
    [You could plan to go as a group]

Movie: FanBoys
    Star Wars related movie about SW fans (w/ some good actors)
    [This will probably be a joint event w/ sister group IR]

16. Magic_Vader_83

Oct 27, 2007
    dying to see fanboys!

17. Darth_MacDuff

Darth_MacDuff Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2007
    I am still wanting to get the third Jason Bourne movie, the Bourne Ultimatum. I got the first two. Anyone seen it?

18. slaveone28146

Oct 15, 2007
    Good movie!!! Could have been better though??

19. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    I have all three now - I love this series!

20. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    I have heard it was good, but it still wasn't as good as the first one. Still have to get the last Harry Potter movie too.

21. star0258

star0258 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2007
    Here's a few for the girls (and guys too)
    August Rush, such a good movie all around - even my 17year old brother loved it!
    and
    Atonement, this one's more for you girls - it is a very artisticly done movie...go see it

22. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm looking forward to seeing Hayden (Anakin) in the new movie "JUMPER" - looks pretty cool as well as the new movie "10,000 BC".

23. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    I am looking forward to the new "Iron Man" movie that is coming out. I logged onto the website and checked out the trailer. It looks good!! Can't wait for that one!!

24. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    WANT TO GO SEE 10,000 BC Tonight?

25. Darth_MacDuff

Oct 15, 2007
    You go see 10000 BC, let us know what you think about it. I am still waiting to buy, Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum and Spiderman 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.