main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Discussion Club

Discussion in 'Archive: Kent UK' started by Lord-Tice, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, I'm a fan :D

Not only was she great in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' but was also very good in her small, but highly significant, part in 'Love actually'.

In the latest Empire magazine, they have a review for another film she's in called 'Pure'. Which I think is my duty to track down and reviw for you all ;)

Meanwhile I shall let you know of a small campaign I may put together to try and get her to appear at collectormania next time. Unlikely I know, but worth a try.

Edit: Changed Titel, 'caused wished so. ;)

2. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    will she be naked?

3. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I'm in full suppoort of this campeign Matt, as you might expect. I think she was definately a highlight of Love Actually.

4. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Fraid not ham :p

I knew I'd have your support on this one dom, I'll let you know when my campaign starts. It's just a bit of fun really but Jason Joiner can pull some mighty strings at times, so who knows...... ;)

Yep, she certainly made Love Actually a better film, then again I think we maybe biased.

5. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Here are some pics from her latest film 'King Arthur' where she'll be playing Guinevere: Keira

Looks great but can't help but feel that costume doesn't consist of much material ;)

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm, guys I remember seeing a pic of Kiera from her new movie but I never thought Guinevere wore such skimpy clothing. ;)

Maybe I should read the classic novel I have. I read a bit of it, then stopped when my school exams started. I think it's long overdue for a reading. 8-}

7. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I agree Pash I really think she should be covered up more ;)

8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Yeah Jean ;) ...whatever happened to those gorgeous flowing gowns and stuff? :confused:

And speaking of Kiera movies...I loved Bend it like Beckham. It was hilarious. [face_laugh]

Actually...main attraction had to be the lush Mr. Jonathan Rhys Meyers. [face_love]

Whatcha think, Jean? ;)

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I know, and corsets that made you faint because it was too tight :p

I've never actually seen bend it like Beckham myself

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Hahahaha, yeah those. [face_laugh] They looked so good I guess they have to be uncomfortable. 8-}

Oh gosh...you must watch the movie. [face_shocked]

You'll love Meyers in it. ;)

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Exactly everything that looks good is painfull :p

Ok I'll watch it for you Pash ;)

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Isn't fair is it? ;)

Why thanks..but you'll be doing yourself a favour. :D And if I could PM the Meyers incentive to you, I would. [face_mischief]

Blast, I can't exactly do a search for the pics from here. There are people everywhere today. 8-}

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I'll search in the morning **looks at time**

later in the morning ;)

14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    ;) @ Jean

What I found odd was the fact that Keira actually looks really tall-and I mean really long y'know?-in Bend it like Beckham. :confused:

In reality, she isn't very tall is she? :confused: I mean...even Meyers is 5 ft 7" or somink.

Even in Pirates she looked really tall. I don't know if it is the way they film the movie or if it's because she's really slim. :confused:

15. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Funny you should mention that pash because I was thinking exactly the same thing about her height. She looks at least 6ft tall but she's probably more like 5'5" [face_laugh]

For the new King Arthur film, they've decided to go back to Guinevere's Celtic roots, hence the rather skimpy costume and face make-up. As a red blooded male, I'm not complaining but even I'm shocked by the lack of material :eek: :p
    I'm hoping this new film is good, I love Arthurian legend and it's due out next December so looks like it will fill the hole left by LotR :D

I saw some of Bend it like Beckham the other day (although not for Jonathan Rhys Meyers ;) ) and I enjoyed it. Keira's mum made me laugh.
    btw pash, did you ever get 'Gormenghast' on TV over there?? It had Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Christopher Lee init ;)

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    It doesn't take much to shock you though :p

17. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_shocked] Matt, if she's 5'5" then I'm actually taller than her...well, by an inch and a bit perhaps. ;)

Celtic roots for Guinevere, eh? ;) And here I was remembering Mists of Avalon where Guinevere was wearing these traditional dresses. 8-}

Yeah, I'll bet thaat though you're shocked...you aren't disappointed. [face_mischief] Heheh. Actually Matt, you should check out that film, Mists of Avalon. You may like it. It stars Julianne Marguiles, Michael Vartian and Samantha Mathis...oh and Anjelica Houston.

Aah, that TV series with Johnathan Rhys Meyers...I heard of it when I was surfing the net the other day. Apparently he was really good in that, no? :D Thing is, I have seen him in another film...but he takes some strange roles...very arty stuff. I wasn't a big fan until Bend it like Beckham.

Speaking of the latter...Kiera's film mom was hilarious. I guess I laughed most because of the Indian family...see, some of their styles of dressing and customs are not uncommon to me. And when our elders get annoyed with us they switch from yelling in English to Tamil. [face_laugh] Just like Jess's mom in the film. Tamil is very close to Hindi-both Indian languages-and when you mumble and curse like that it sounds really funny. [face_laugh]

His (Johnny]s)new movie Tangled is at the video store. Must check it out. :D

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Sorry to disappoint you pash, but my 5'5" claim was just a guess, but I don't think she can be much taller then that so you may well be taller ;)

I haven't seen 'Mists of Avalon' but I'll certainly keep my eye open for it :D
    lol, and no I'm not disappointed by Keira's costume [face_mischief]
    But as Jeannette said I am easily shocked but I'm sure I can pluck up enough courage to see this film, although I doubt I'll need much pushing [face_laugh]

I think I know of one other film Johnathan Rhys Meyers has been in, mainly because it also had Ewan init but I haven't seen it. 'Velvet Goldmine' I think it was called and I'm pretty sure my sister has it on video.
    He was good in Gormenghast but the show as a whole was a bit disappointing. Visually it's lovely but the book is said to be much better.

Hopefully I'll get to watch Pirates of the carribean over christmas because I got it for my mum as a pressie :D ;)

19. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

*holds tummy*

Goodness...yes, I'm sure you'll make it to the theatre Matt! ;)

As for Gormenghast, they never showed it here. :( Hmm, yes I know about Velvet Goldmine. But I'm wondering if it's too arty for me. :confused: Meyers is a great actor and has so much potential...I wish they'd give him roles that didn't require him to always lose the clothes, y'know? :(

Oh...he has some new movies coming out, right? Vanity Fair and Alexander the Great.

This is the period of the epics, isn't it? And even Kiera has done her share...what with Arthur on the way. :)

*looks up*

Don't you just love the way I turned the Kiera thread into a Jonny Rhys Meyers thread? [face_laugh]

Oh and the "taller then Kiera bit"...heheh, sounds cool. ;)

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    'Don't you just love the way I turned the Kiera thread into a Jonny Rhys Meyers thread?'

[face_laugh] I don't mind. It was pretty selfish of me having a Keira thread all to myself anyway ;)

He does have a few new films coming out including 'Alexander'. The confussing thing about that one is that there are two films about Alexander the Great being made but he's in the Oliver Stone one which should be out in 2004.
    You're spot on, it certainly is the time of the epic feature films. Personally I'm a big fan so as long as they are good films I wont complain :D
    I really, really hope King Arthur is upto scratch though. I'm a bit concerned because I love John Boorman's 'Excalibur' so it's got alot to live upto IMO.
    Troy is looking pretty niffty too, and has Orlando Bloom init for you ladies ;)

I haven't seen Velvet Goldmine but based on the clips I've seen it does seem a bit of a strange one. I know what you mean about the lack of cloths in his roles and I too think it's a shame. Personally I don't like watching films with too much nudity in them, even if it was Keira taking her cloths off I'd rather she did it in moderation, lol. Now everyone thinks I'm strange :p

21. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Heheh...I wonder what we could call this thread now! [face_laugh]

Yeah the 2 versions of Alexander the Great is kinda confusing, isn't it? :confused: Ofcourse, Stone's production boasts a star cast...what with Angelina Joile, Val Kilmer, Colin Farell playing the lead, Jared Leto and... *mumbles*Jonathan Rhys Meyers*mumbles* too! 8-}

Excalibur? Matt, is this a British film? I've seen something like that at my video store. Who stars in it? Oh and I'll bet you've seen Merlin which starred Sam Neill. :D That was brill! :)

Yes, look at the number of epics... Troy, LOTR (kinda fits in there too), Arthur, Alexander the Great..oh and have you heard of the new one to star Liam Neeson and Orlando Bloom? It's called Kingdom of Heaven and is about the Crusades! [face_shocked] Phew...Mr Bloom certainly is the boy about town now! :cool:

Troy is looking pretty niffty too, and has Orlando Bloom init for you ladies
    Oh, we are getting a pretty good deal with these epics, me thinks. ;) And when his co-stars are guys like Brad Pitt and Sean Bean... not too bad eh? :D

...Now everyone thinks I'm strange

Not at all...I think its refreshing that you think that way, Matt. :) Stories don't need so many rude scenes...actually, they are best told without them. Sometimes a movie is spoilt because of it. :(

And yeah... *shouts* "Jon, put some clothes on hon...you'll catch a cold!" [face_laugh]

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Now that Mr.Bloom and Mr.Pitt have crept in, maybe we should call this thread 'Actors that makes us drool!' ;)

The Alexander films are very confussing, lol. I'm not sure what the exact situation with the Baz Luhrmann one is, although I think he wanted Leonardo Dicaprio to play Alex which doesn't fill me with much joy I must say, but Oliver Stone's looks like it could do the job for me although I've never been a huge fan of his films in the past.

Excalibur is a British film made in the eighties. It's got Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren init, and Liam Neeson has a role init too :D
    It's a very dark film but I love it. It takes a few viewings to really appreciate it but I'd recommend it. Funny enough John Boorman was going to make the LotR films, but it was deemed too costly and difficult so used all his research to make 'Exaclibur' instead.
    I have seen Merlin and loved that too. Sam Neill did a great job and it was nice for something to focus on merlin rather then Arthur.

I haven't heared about Kingdom of Heaven but if it's about the crusades it's certainly got my interest. That Mr.Bloom seems to be in every film being made right now ;)

[face_laugh] @ catching a cold. Quite right too. I know I'm easily shocked and embarrassed by that sort of thing but I agree it's so unnecessary most of the time. It's that age old rule in hollywood that sex sells but I'd rather watch a film without it personally.

23. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Someone mentioned Orli? [face_mischief]

24. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    'Actors that makes us drool!'

[face_laugh] Yeah, considering that you've got Kiera and we've got...wow...we have quite a selection, no? [face_mischief]

Baz Luhrmann

It had completely slipped my mind that it was Baz who was directing the other one. Oh gosh...a crazy thought hit me...no fancy dance numbers right? Boys in skirts running around doing can-can routines...nope, doesn't sound too good. [face_laugh]

Excaliber sounds good...the cast is definitely a talented bunch. :cool:

Speaking of the LOTR that didn't get made...remember some story about the Beatles wanting to star in the LOTR way back then? I read it in the papers around the time the first LOTR film was released. Heheh, that would have been funny! 8-} Actually...no...who would have played my beloved Legolas [face_shocked]

I have seen Merlin and loved that too. Sam Neill did a great job and it was nice for something to focus on merlin rather then Arthur.

Yeah, in fact Arthur only came into the story towards the end. Sam Neill...yep he was good in that role. And there was Miranda Richardson as Mab...
    That film Mists of Avalon, that I mentioned before, is actually from Arthurs sister's point of view. We know her as Morgana Le Fay but here they call her Morgaine.

It's Orli fever, Matt! [face_shocked] I'm not complaining though. It's just what the doctor ordered! 8-} Okay, bad pun alert! [face_laugh]

It's that age old rule in hollywood that sex sells

It's really sad. :(Hollywood in its golden age...that's what the movies were about. now it's hard to find a decent movie without some torrid scene. I mean, "hello" we do understand that sex happens but why show it so explicitely in a film. Off-putting I say. :(

Someone mentioned Orli?

Why Jean...I see we got your attention now, babe! ;)

Got another idea...we can call this the movie discussion club-that way anything goes. :D Whatcha think?

25. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Of course you have with the mention of his name [face_love]

I have some art work I have been working on with him in ;)

lol if you want I can get someone to edit the title of the thread :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.