main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Discussion Club

Discussion in 'Archive: Kent UK' started by Lord-Tice, Dec 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    OK Pash, if I had managed to pull this one off, I think I would have made you Extremley Jealous ;) :
    I saw an advert this week which was calling for extras for the new Batman film which is being filmed in London. The only problem was that I was a day late :_|
    The advert was printed on friday in a newspaper and the casting session was on Sunday.....but I didn't read it until Monday. Ah-well, Mr.Bale and Chris Nolan will have to wait until I unleash my acting talents upon them. And I only kept the newspaper because Keira was init ;)

On the Batman front, I may try and find out where they'll be filiming just incase. I've also read some more info onit and personally I can't wait for it :D
    Liam Nesson has been cast (not sure what character though) and Katie Holmes looks set to be init. And don't expect a black rubber costume this time, sounds like they're going for the tradition grey approach which I think is a good thing (alhtough perhaps not for the girls [face_laugh] .

I will probably get Equilibrium on DVD soonish. I wanted to see it at the cinema but for some reason it didn't get many screenings. But thanks for your little review there Pash, I'm glad you liked it :)

On the Hugh Jackman theme, I saw a trailer for his new film today, which is called Van Helsing.
    Looks like it has potential, visually it looks very dense. I'm just concerned that too many vampire films are and have been made at the mo, and if this one will actually give us something new and different?

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    After my animation classes etc I find all film to be the same ;)

Bloody animation :p

3. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_shocked] [face_laugh]

Not bad at all...but it's a pity you were late, no? We could have seen our very own Matt in the new Batman flick. :cool: Oh well, some other time, another film perhaps?

Equilibrium was good, I hope you will enjoy it. But why not take a sneak peak before you buy? I'm funny like that...unless I'm really sure I take ages to get something. Probably explains why my mom goes crazy when I have to make up my mind about buying something. [face_laugh]

The Kiera bit had me laughing too... ;) Ever the Will Turner of the gang, eh? [face_mischief]
    Well good for you...hope you get a good break. :D

LOL, Jean...animation classes must be interesting though. What kind of animation are you into? I don't really know a lot about it...but is it cartoonish or different? :confused:

4. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    This year it's just 2D animation, we don't know much about it either which is why we are all panicing lol :p

It all depends on how you draw it I guess, mine will look more cartoony as I can't draw :p

5. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Don't worry Jean...I guess once you get over the nerves it'll be fine. :)

*hugs*

And anyways...you have to start somewhere, right?

2D animation...hmm, that's like moviing figures but no depth? I think I get it..or am I confused? 8-}

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    **hugs**

errm well we are supposed to give it some depth even in 2D animation.
    Basically you'll only see one side of the character but if it's walking down a street you would put things infront like a lamp post so the character walks behind it. Making it look more realistic.

7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I know Pash, it would have been just utterly, utterly Brill to have been in the new Batman film, but sadly not be :(
    I got the address for the casting agency though, and sent an e-mail asking if they need anymore extras for the film, so if something comes up who knows :)
    Saying that, perhaps it's for the best I was a day late, I would have easily outstaged Christian Bale and that just wouldn't be fair on him [face_laugh] ;)

unless I'm really sure I take ages to get something

You sound like me ;)
    I can be too careful with my money sometimes, and I hate wasting it on DVD's that don't perhpas meet my expectations. I'll probably wait until Equilibrium gets reduced, means waiting a while but I don't mind too much. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but there are sooo many other DVD's I'd like to own too, so it's a case of putting them into preference order.

On the Kiera front, I read she's dating Oscar winning actor Adrien Brody. Not sure how true that is, but t'is a sad day for us men, lol. Maybe if I start dressing like our fav pirate Wil Turner, I might catch her eye and make her reconsider [face_mischeif]

Oooooh, animation! My favourite ;)
    To make it more 3D, you'll have to worry about things like perspective and shading. It's not that difficult though, there are plenty of guides out there that can help and once you've cracked it it can be used to good effect :)

8. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    I would have easily outstaged Christian Bale and that just wouldn't be fair on him

I know! [face_shocked] 8-} Poor Batsy will be upstaged! [face_mischief]

I think that's a good idea Matt...waiting for the prices to come down. I love bargains! [face_love]

Adrian Brody and Kiera Knightly? Hmm, unusual...me thinks. She seems far more bubbly and girly to be out with him...but then that's just my opinion! :) Matt, planning to give the guy some competetion? ;)

On movie news...I watched Peter Pan and I absolutely LOVED it! [face_love]

Jeremy Sumpter who plays Peter is such an absolute darling...aww [face_love]...and he's a brilliant young actor. This kid is gonna go far-he's fantastic! :cool: He has this young Hayden Christensen thing about him...his looks for one thing are very Hayden-like. And he seems to talk the same...

Jason Issacs was class! Absolutely delightful as Captain Hook...I felt like Disney's Hook had come to life but with more wit and a cooler look. [face_shocked] He was brilliant and charming...what a great movie villain. I love the way Issacs portrayed Hook as a haunted man. :cool: And then for him to do a double act as the lovely Mr. Darling.

And another favourite of mine...Lynn Redgrave playing the aunt-fantastic! :D I think she's a marvelous actress and so is her sister Vanessa Redgrave.

All in all the movie is wonderful and I can't wait to get it on DVD this May. :D

9. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Poor Batsy will be upstaged! [face_mischief]

[face_laugh] Christian Bale will be running scared now. Have you heard the latest casting news Pash?? Gary Oldman is playing a young Jim Gordon :D
    And the reports about the Bat costume are certainly in your favour (i.e very tight ;) ). And apparantly they've made the mask so that it can move with the actors face so we'll hopefully get lots of facial expressions come through, which sounds really good!

I agree Pash, Adrain Broady and Keira do not seem to match at all, so I'm hoping it was just a false rumour. And me giving him competition??? Now would I do that? [face_mischief]
    Saying that, I watched her commentary on the PotC DVD, and all I can say is that she's very loud and very bubbly!! I'm not sure if I could handle that [face_laugh]

I liked Jeremy Sumpter's performance in Peter pan too. He managed to pull off the cockyness that Peter Pan has very well, but also his more temper tantrum moments too ;)
    Jason Issacs was always going to be good, and gave the film the integrity it needed.

I didn't realise that was Lynn Redgrave :eek:
    I think Vanessa is a real class act too, have you seen the musical film Camelot.
    She played Guinevere in that one and you get to hear her sing too. Lovely film, looks stunning!

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Gary Oldman...interesting indeed. That's an actor who picks his movies well...should be good. :cool:

...reports about the Bat costume are certainly in your favour

You don't say! [face_mischief] LOL! [face_laugh] Hehe, first it's Troy, then Batman...well, we girls have no complaints. To be honest, the guys look great even in their heavy battle armour-like in The Lord of the Rings trilogy! :D

Facial expressions under the bat mask? Definitely cool! :cool: Because if I remeber right, both Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer were able to pull that off well. I didn't think Clooney was a good Batman-hey, my opinion. ;) But this sounds great. And Christian Bale is so right for this role! :) After Equilibrium he's perfect for this character! Can't wait! :D

[face_laugh] about the Kiera commentry. I imagined her to be like that...oh well, can't have it all, no Matt? ;) I remember this girl I know...but her over-enthusiasm used to scare me..so I can only imagine what guys think! [face_shocked]

Me thinks our Matt ought to give brody some competition...y'know Will Turner style? [face_mischief]

Oh yes it was Lynn Redgrave and it was s uch a treat to see her again. :) I must see this movie Camelot sometime. I have to dig up the videos at my video club some time soon. ;)

In the meantime...I watched ROTK and LOVED IT! [face_love] [face_love]

[face_shocked] <----- No words! 8-} That's saying something, especially when it comes to me! [face_laugh]

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Pash is speechless :eek:
    **takes screen-grab**
    I have proof of that moment Pash ;)

Gary Oldman is a great actor and having him as Jim Gordon was a good move IMO (although the Americans don't like it because it's a Brit invasion so far ;) )
    I'm not sure how well that Bat mask will work, but it's an interesting idea certainly, and if it works could pay real dividends.
    George Clooney was OK for Batman, but very bad direction didn't help his case ;)
    Hopefully we can all pretend Batman & Robin doesn't actually exist after this new film and I'm absolutely convinved Christian Bale will be Brilliant!!

[face_laugh] I think Keira has good reason to be over-enthusiastic. She's working with the likes of Orli, earning lots of money, Looks amazing and still only 18. Good enough reasons for me ;)
    Saying that, I had to turn the volume down while listening to her commentary....yep, she's that loud!

**Does Wil Turner Impression**
    Adrain Broady.....who's that :confused: ;)

I'd recommend Camelot, especially if you like Musicals. I think it was made in the sixties but doesn't show its age. And it has both Richard Harris and David hemmings init, both great actors who are sadly missed :(

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    [face_laugh] Guess I have been caught now! ;)

*sigh* That film was so breathtaking...lovely! [face_love]

LOL @ the Will Turner impersination...Loved that, Matt! :D

Imagine the conversation?!? [face_mischief] It's parody time...

Father:-So this is where your heart truly lies?
    Elizabeth:-Yes...
    Father:-But he's a blacksmith...
    Elizabeth:-Erm father...this one's a pianist! 8-}

Boom boom! [face_laugh]

Hmm, the pirate is so much cooler, me thinks. :cool:

Camelot is a musical...Love those! [face_love]

13. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Lord tice how is you ?

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi DA6, I'm well thanks :)
    I trust you are too, but what the heck has happened to Wimbledon FC? ;)

[face_laugh] Great Parody Pash.
    I'm still not convinced Keira and Broady are together, or maybe that's just me being jealous ;)

And Pierce Brosnan said this week he wants Keira to be the next Bond girl. How can I compete with that? :( ;)
    Ohh, Happy belated Birthday to keira :D

I've been watching a lot of those teen-horror films recently (no thanks to my sis) and they all seem to blend into one IMO ;)

15. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Actually Matt, I can beat that! [face_mischief]

The web was going nuts 2 days ago regarding a report that Orlando has been approached to be the next Bond after Pierce Brosnan retires from the role after his 5th outing! [face_shocked]

Actually I'm hoping Orli doens't take it...it's not a role for him. Orli's too young for one thing and he's not really the Bond type...I dunno. He just isn't. :confused:

Too lithe and elfin and all that... ;)

Oh teen scary movies? I actually love some of those... :) I'll bet they keep you entertained. Make sure you catch the awesome Faculty with Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett. It's brill! :cool:

16. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    what ya up too matt any way busy ?

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    King Arthur

It was a good movie but I think they should have just made the story up rather than base it on one of our legends as it wasn't the true story infact parts of it no way resemble the story at all.

I don't know what was going on with Merlin but he more resembled a homeless crazy man than a wizard :p

Keira was good but a bit wooden I am not sure if that was on purpose or not. Also I might be wrong but I don't remember her being a great warrior (also if she was so good how comes she got captured in the first place?)

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    You mean it should have had more mythical fantasy and adventure like the other movies they have made about Arthuran legend? :) Personally that's what I had hope for when I heard of the movie. :(

The last movie I saw based on the Legend of King Arthur was the terrific Mists of Avalon starring Julianne Marguiles who portrayed Morgaine and told the story from her point of view. It was refreshing and still very much the story of Arthur...lovely. [face_love]

I don't know what was going on with Merlin but he more resembled a homeless crazy man than a wizard

[face_laugh] That was hilarious. I would have expected Merlin to be a wise old wizard type...very cliché, I know , but that's what usually works. Even a little eccentricity I can perfectly understand...crazy? [face_laugh]

Hmm, Kiera may not have been in her element, you think, Jean? :confused: She is usually fiesty...I would have thought the directors would have capitalised on that. :(

As for the heroine and war paint and warrior pricess bit...I don't get that either. I always thought Guinevere was the lady like one...the only outrageous thing I knew of was her affair with Sir Lancelot. ;)

Of course, I heard something about them downplaying the affair bit too. Hmm, was Lancelot actually worth the trouble, in this film? ;)

19. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I'm having serious doubts about King Arthur... I mean, king Arthur with no mysticism? Nah... but maybe I should see it and not bash a film that I haven't even seen... ;)

Pash, do you also like Mists of Avalon? I LOVE the book, and the film was nice too. Mmmm, Lancelot... =P~

20. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    ;) Nina, I have to say I am sad too that it won't be more like the other fantasy stuff...but yeah, I'll probably watch it anyway. Atleast for curiousity. :D
    Plus I follow Kiera's work...

Yes Nina, I loved Mists of Avalon.
    As for Lancelot... :D Oh, no arguments there. He was lovely in the movie. Then again, when isn't Michael Vartan charming? ;)

I haven't read the book though...I think I saw a copy floating around at my bookshop. :)

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The film is very fair and honest because at the very beginning it says that it will not be your classic King Arthur story, and that if he really did exist then this is what quite possibly happened way back in the 4th Century. In other words, it?s more like the film Gladiator then Excalibur ;)
    Perosnally I was quite pleased when I heared it would be a historicaly based film rather then a mythological one, mainly because a Jerry Bruckhemier fantasy film would have been a disaster IMO, plus I think you need a really talented director to pull it off. So please, don?t be too disappointed by this different approach ;)

Overall I thought the film was good, not great, but it does the job that a summer flick is suppose to do. It takes a while to really get going, the first half hour to me feels a bit messy but once the core plot is activated then it becomes much more fluid and quite compelling.

All the basic elements of the film are of a high standard (Production, photography, music etc) but I am still unsure what to make of the acting. Maybe it?s the bad dialogue or that the director decided to go for a less theatrical approach, but Clive Owen?s voice just seemed really flat to me, and it spoilt things slightly. He certainly looked the part, but personally I wouldn?t have had him play Arthur. The other Knights do good jobs, Lancelot especially (One for the ladies, hehe) but not much time is really spent getting to know them and that is a shame because I think there was great potential to flesh them out more.
    I can see why people think Kiera?s acting was a bit wooden (maybe it?s her posh voice??), but I actually thought she was very good (okay, maybe I?m too bias :p ). It?s a very mature performance and she plays the beautiful queen and warrior lady very well ;)
    I think you will enjoy her performance Pash, but my one complaint is that she isn?t init enough :(

The best way to approach this film, is to get rid of all your knowledge of King Arthur and regard the film is a historical account rather then a fantasy film, that way you wont be disappointed. It is nice to see these caharcters like Arthur, Lancelot, Gawain, Merlin etc portrayed in different roles, but it may lead to much confusion so go in with a very open mind :)

Of course, I heard something about them downplaying the affair bit too. Hmm, was Lancelot actually worth the trouble, in this film?

They have a few lovingly stares, but I was quite surprised by how things turned out in the end. But Lancelot is one of the best characters in the film, and the film actually starts with a Lancelot prologue (played by a young boy who went to my old school :D ). I think both Pash and Nina would find him quite fetching too (although my one complaint is that I thought he was meant to have white amour, a white horse and blond hair, which he has none of, lol) :p

Mists of Avalon, I?ve heared very good things about this, I should try and check it out even though it is perhaps aimed for the female population :)

22. Enji

May 14, 2002
    Nonono, Lancelot is darkhaired. ;)

Well, I think I'll check out King Arthur... when it comes to video. I don't have much money right now and what I've got I need to save for C3... ;) So I'll rent it later and watch at home. Much cheaper.

Right now I'm going through all the films at my local library... it's a great library, you can borrow films for free! They have really good films too... last night I watched Top Hat, an old musical film with Fred Astaire... it was lovely. I wish I could dance like that... [face_love]

23. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Apr 27, 2003
    Nice review Matt. In fact, my cousin told me something similar. I guess I will have to see it, like you said, not expecting the usual Arthur story. :)

Lancelot is quite fetching eh? ;) Now Pash is certainly keen to see this film and comment on that one. [face_mischief]
    It will be interesting to see what Nina thinks of him too. ;)

Hmm, the stares between the two sound sweet, but you're right. Not fleshing out the Lancelot/Guinevere bit is a pity...Oh Kiera was not in it enough? :( Well, let's hope the parts she's in are great. :D
    I heard she has a brilliant line in the film. ;) She made a sarcy comment to one of the Knights and I thought it was priceless.! [face_laugh]

Nina, tapes for free? Oh lucky you. ;)

I recently got Troy but the 2nd VCD won't work so I have to ask my video club guys to give me a replacement... from the little I have seen I love Hector's character already. :) Eric Bana is brilliant. :cool: And very likable.

24. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    It comes back to they should have just made the story up rather than use Arthur because really it's nothing like what happened. Hollywood just used one of our legends riped it apart and took the credit for it [face_plain]

But Pash I think you'll like Lancelot [face_mischief]

25. Enji

May 14, 2002
    So, they've made it up? I thought they were claiming it's the "real" story, and not the legent story... :confused:

And Pash, if you find the book, read it! It's great, lots better than the film. And more Lancelot... [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.