Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange County, CA' started by crazybirdman, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    mov·ie n.

1)A sequence of photographs projected onto a screen with sufficient rapidity as to create the illusion of motion and continuity.
    A connected cinematic narrative represented in this form.
    2)A showing of a movie. Often used in the plural: "During the movie, the person in front of me kept talking." "Would you like to go to the movies tonight?"

dis·cus·sion n.
    1)Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
    2)A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.

Seems simple enough. I guess we can start by talking about how good, or how bad the Doom movie will be.
  2. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The Doom movie is going to rock in the cheesiest way imaginable. I plan to see it opening weekend with some other friends just because it's Doom.
  3. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Rule number one: Never make a movie based off a comic book
    Rule number two: Never make a movie based off a video game
    Rule number three: Never make a movie based off a 1980's television show

4. Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Knight

star 3
  5. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    We've seen from Batman (the first one and Batman Begins) that rule number 1 doesn't apply.

Mortal Kombat showed that rule number 2 does not necessarily apply.

I don't know anything about rule number 3.

In all honesty, I think the story of Doom is going to suck. Then again, the game didn't have that great of a story to begin with. The fact that they're making it look just like a FPS (first person shooter) tells me they're only targetting the hardcore gamers and people that grew up on Doom *raises hand*. As a friend said when we saw the preview before Serenity "It looks cheesy because it is cheesy".

No matter how bad it turns out, it can't possibly be worse than any other game that has been made into a movie.
  6. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, how can you say that? :eek: the Super Mario Bros. movie awesome!
    but seriously, I heard the FPS sequence is only a minute or two near the end of the movie.
    On the plus side, this means the Exitebike movie can't be far behind!
  7. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw man! I was looking forward to seeing it early on intercut with live footage. Oh well.

EDIT: I just read some news about the Doom movie. It seems that when they originally started filming (last year) they were going to leave the planet unnamed. I'm glad they changed it back to Mars. The only major changed they seemed to make is to have the monsters be people mutated by a virus (think Resident Evil) instead of being from Hell like in the original. In fact, one review actually said the movie is kind of a cross between Resident Evil and Aliens, so maybe it'll be better than people think.
  8. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
    Any Batman movie with a Prince song [face_sick]. No Rule 3, rent Garfield it will change your mind [face_laugh]. I wonder what will happen if the ROCK doesn't pick up a power-up or ammo box, will he be the first action star to ever run out of bullets? If he gets shot can the audience just hit a RESET button on the armrest of the theatre seat??? [face_laugh] [face_mischief]
  9. LizardJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    From what I heard, the FPS shooting is like, 6 minutes in the whole movie.

Frankley, from the trailer, that dosn't even look that good. To me it looks like the gun is out of focus compared to the background (where as in real FPS, both are in focus)

Doom isn't known for its story. Few video games are (FF comes to mind). It is just known because it was the first real game of its genre (FPS) and that genre has pretty much taken off from there. (The only top selling PC game I can think of that is NOT a FPS is The Sims..and maybe WoW)
  10. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Which Batman movie had a Prince song? I know Seal did a song for Batman 3 (Batman Forever?), but I don't remember there being a Prince song in any of them (I've never seen Batman and Robin). How about we just say any Batman movie done by Joel Schumacher :)
  11. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    Prince did the entire clotting soundtrack for the first Batman movie!

*insert guilty pleasure moment here* ..............and I kinda liked it...........
  12. LizardJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    No shame Smudge. Just like there is no shame in admitting you have 4 Brittany Spears songs on your iPod [face_blush]
  13. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNO............er..........um........ No I don't!
  14. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Danny Elfman did the soundtrack to the first two Batman movies?

Just did some checking on Google. I see the Danny Elfman did the score, whereas Prince did the soundtrack. So I guess Batman had two soundtracks. You learn something new everyday.

I stand by my previous statement that Batman and Batman Begins (Batman Returns as well, but to a lesser extent) were movies based on a comic that were very well done.

On another note, FF: Advent Children. I have no idea what this movie was about or what happened (as Anthony and Dini both said would happen), but it was visually stunning and definitely worth a 1.5 hour watch just for the fight sequences.
  15. Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Knight

star 3
  16. dini Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children has been release on DVD in Japan. It never played in the theaters here and isn't scheduled to be realised until January 1st here. Visually it's a spectacular movie, storywise though you won't know what's going on unless you have played through FFVII completely (and understood it). If you want 1.5 hours of awesome fights though definately check it out.
  17. Robeewankenobe Jedi Knight

star 3
  18. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    As far as comic book movies that don't suck.

From Hell
    The Road to Perdition
    Ghost World
    Batman
    Batman Begins
    Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    Batman and Mr. Freeze Subzero
    X-2
    Fantastic Four (new one not Roger Coreman Debacle)
    Daredevil
    Blade
    Blade Trinity

I will think of a few more. You can argue these but you'd be wrong.
  19. LordJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The comic book for some of those might have been fine (DareDevil and Blade Trinity specifically), but the movies themselves blew. The whole premise behind DareDevil is bad IMO. If the guy needs sound to see, just play a stereo really loud so he can't see anyone. It's kind of like Blind Justice, the movie with the blind ninja.

And Blade Trinity was just bad. The only Blade that was good was the first Blade.

Other than those two movies, I'd say your list is spot on.
  20. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't forget how Daredevil pushes a guy in front of a train, but says "I'm not the bad guy"
  21. LizardJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    The only good part about DD in my opinion, is Jennifer Garner. Not necesserly her performance in the movie, but the fact that the first 3 seasons of Alias rocked.
  22. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    I liked Blade Trinity because Van Wilder is cool. Also, they finally killed off Whistler.
    I also give it credit as being a Marvel product but being oriented towards adults. Lots of F words which you will never find in Spiderman.

As for Daredevil, I am a huge Daredevil fan. The movie was based heavily on Frank Miller and Kevin Smith's runs on the book. Except for the fighting on the organ, the movie was great in my opinion. I like the idea for Bullseye out of the costume too. I also will watch anything with Ben Affleck in it. Jaws 6, Affleck plays the shark.

I also forgot to add Sin City to the list which is probably the most accurate of any comic book movie ever partially due to Frank Miller co directing it.

For those who don't know Frank Miller, see Daredevil, The dark Knight returns, Ronin, and 300 which is being made into a movie also.

23. LizardJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sin City is an EXCELLENT movie. Not just in the story telling sense, but I really like how they did it style wise. It realyl agreed with the book.

I haven't really seen that many other comic-book movies, but I think my 2nd favorite one is X-2. It was very enjoyable.

Also, I thought the Spiderman movies were extreamly corny. In a bad way.
  24. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA

VIP
    star 3
    It's kinda hard to do Spiderman without corny. Peter Parker is corny. The greatest line in comics though comes from that book. "With great power comes great responsibility." That to me is awesome. I am a big respecter of Stan the Man Lee and I love almost all of his creations.

I also love Spiderman because I met him at the Buena Park mall when I was a kid and got my picture taken with him. It was the coolest thing to me when I was a kid. that is why I love dressing up in star wars costumes. You see kids react to the Jedi and others and it is worth it. My daughter came to hang out at the Episode III premier and she was so excited that she met Darth Vader. She talked about it for weeks. Same thing with me and Spiderman.
  25. dustinbrewer Jedi Knight

star 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.