main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie into Books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediCouncilBoy4, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Ok. I have know clue about any thing on the Star Wars books but what books are about the movie - Episdoes 1-2-3-4-5-6?

And If they would make them 7-8-9?

THanks Guys!

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You're joking right? Here are the names of the novelizations to the movies out so far (not including the two Ewok movies):

• The Phantom Menace

• Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (also called A New Hope, which is the name you're most likely to find it as in book stores now)

• The Empire Strikes Back

• Return of the Jedi
      The novelizations have the same name as the movie their novelizations of. So guess what the name to the novelization of Attack of the Clones will be.

3. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    isn't AotC availiable online now? anyway, the movie books are always based on Lucas's screenplays, then novelized by a pro SW author. the original trilogy can be found in almost any bookstore, but imho, they are nothing compared to the EU novels. Star Wars is unique in that the books are based on the movies instead of vice versa. That means movie and book flow together perfectly; neither contradicts or changes the other.

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    isn't AotC availiable online now?

Um, no. Lucas wants the storyline kept secret, so that prohibits releasing it this far in advance anyhow. Look for it probably in Late April/May 2002.

5. JediCouncilBoy4

Aug 20, 2001
    Ok thanks. I feel really stupid! Are the books in more detail then the movie or are they the oposite?

6. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    There is a bit more detail to the books. Things happen in them that don't appear in the movies. For one, in the novelization to ANH Luke actually has to run the trench run twice, and it's the second run that blows the Death Star. The novelization to ESB shows even more of Lukes training on Dagobah. Did you know that as part of his training Yoda required him to use his lightsaber to cut iron bars thrown into the air into several pices? Or that Yoda used remotes much like the one Obi-Wan used to train Luke aboard the Falcon, but that these were set to inflict more pain when they managed to get through. The RoTJ novelization actually talks about the battle that encased Anakin in the armor of Darth Vader. And it is Wicket, not Threepio, who convinces the Ewoks to side with the Rebels after Threepio tells his story. In the TPM novelization, we see Anakin running in a pod race before he even mets Qui-Gon. We also learn who Qui-Gon sold Anakin's pod racer to, a certain insistant Dug.

Yep, while you can follow the story line of the movies in the books, particulary with RoTJ, they still have more details that do not appear in the movies.

7. JediCouncilBoy4

Aug 20, 2001
    cool. Thanks. I'm a Jedi COuncil fan! Any extra stuff on them in TPM?

8. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    mmm... not really. but there's lots of other stuff that's only in the book.

If you haven't read Cloak of Deception, I'd recommend it- it had lots of Jedi Council stuff. :)

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    You did read the end of my last post, right? Where I mentioned things you don't see in the TPM movie. One seen you won't find in the movie, Anakin taliking to a spacer whose flown the Z-95 Headhunter fighter, the fighter that formed a basis for the X-wing.

10. JediCouncilBoy4

Aug 20, 2001
  11. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    one more thing in the novel: you see why there was only one Federation battleship at the end of TPM.

12. JediCouncilBoy4

Aug 20, 2001
    O. I just started reading the Cloak of Deseption.

13. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    read the novelizations after you do that the movies will be one hundred times better. As for episode two i would watch the movie before the book just since thats the primary way Georgie boy intended it to be. Another thing in the novelization to ANH is a scene at the beginning that Lucas took out where Biggs tells Luke he goes to defect to the Rebels.

14. Quietforce

Quietforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    I like the novelizations better than most of the EU.

Kill me now. :)

15. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Novel adaptations give you an insight into the character's thoughts during the movie. They also tell you where other characters were during certain scenes and offer the same scene from a different point of view.

Comic adaptations, however, are also worth looking into. The Episode I adaptation was basically just the movie. But there were 5 one-shots that contained extra scenes. IMHO, the best comic adaptations have been the manga ones. The art is superb and the story flows much better than some other adaptations.

For Episode II books, look in book stores on April 2. The comics should arrive shortly afterward. I plan on getting them upon release, but not actually reading them until after I see AotC in theaters.

16. JediCouncilBoy4

Aug 20, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.