main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Movie Marketing annoys me

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Mastadge, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Honestly, movie covers on books are bad enough, but comic book movies . . . ugh!

I remember back when Spider-Man came out, and they released Paul Jenkins' "Death in the Family" arc as "Return of the Goblin" to sell it to the movie crowd. And now I'm looking at the solicitations for next year's Spidey comics, and what do I see? JMS has Spidey "Back in Black" while Peter David is having him fight the sandman. And suddenly I'm much less interested in Spidey than I have been in years. Oy. I understand that recognition is important and they want more readers, but . . . haven't we had enough of the black suit? Why not reissue some of the old black suit and Venom stories rather than bringing it back yet again?

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Having Sandman show up doesn't bother me all that much. But I agree with you that the black suit is some obvious and annoying movie marketing.

Movie covers on books annoys me too.A couple years ago I was re-reading Sphere by Michael Crichton on vacation and I accidentally left it on the plane while I was still in the middle of it. I went to buy another copy and the only ones I could find had Dustin Hoffman and co. staring at me from the cover. Ugh!

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    For the movie adaptations, I have no problems with that, novels or comics. But when they go out and stick on those crappy covers on books that they're adapted from, that's irritating.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Lots of things annoy me, Mas. You have to learn to let go. Find your inner excellence. We all have one, parasitic as it is, and crap looking covers bring down the production price a lot and boost reader valium demand.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I was interested in Apocalypto. Now that I've seen the trailer about 300 times, not so much. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.