main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Mistakes in Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Plagueis, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawanna_Party

Jawanna_Party Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    I realize this is REALLY splitting hairs but it's something I set out to watch for in ROTS.

In ANH when Luke refers to Kenobi as Obi Wan, Ben's response is "I haven't gone by that name since oh...before you were born."

In ROTS, FOLLOWING the birth of the twins, Padme whispers to Kenobi: "Obi Wan...there's still good in him."

So, technically he lied to Luke because he HAD gone by that name at least once that we know of after Luke was born.

If there is a "nitpicking" hall of fame then this factoid will no doubt soon festoon its walls...But hey, you asked.

2. Ney0

Ney0 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    I found one i would get screenies but... Anyway watch when Anankin and Obi are fighting and Anakin Strangles Obi, look at what saber obi is first holding (his own) and then look again after the close up of Anakin's face he is holding Anankin's...[face_laugh]

3. Ney0

Ney0 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    OOps sorry for spamming :oops:

4. Jedi_Knight106

Jedi_Knight106 Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2005
    VERY true. I noticed that as well, but I highly doubt that Leia was talking about her adoptive mother; however, she never knew that she was adopted until Luke tells her about Vader and "the force being strong in the family" stuff (because she believed Bail to be her dad)... I personally see no way how that fits together, unless its just "the force" in her and it lets her see the truth, BUT Luke asked her before he told her about Anakin/Vader being their father... Im confused about this as well....

5. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Well she doesn't call her adopted mother "my adopted mother" if she doesn't know she is adopted. She probably called her, mom.

6. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Yeah- actually, when I first saw the end of ROTS, I thought "Oh! Leia was probably talking about her memories of her ADOPTIVE mother on Alderaan."

Mayber Leia's adoptive mother died when she was very young- and as for always seeming sad- maybe because she was hiding the truth from her adoptive daugher (that her REAL mother was murdered by her husband who is now DARTH VADER).

This makes MUCH more sense to me. Anyone?

7. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    no, luke asks her to tell him about her "real mother". the real mother (Padme) is sad because of what the love of her life has done. Leia, being force sensitive can feel this. "Images really" Leia says. The same as Luke or Anakin forseeing the future but not in the exact way it will happen.

There is a big thread on this topic specifically if you are interested. Look in the "Official Thread" link

8. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005

OOOOOooohhh... right. 'Forgot about that.

'Kay, ROTS IS sloppy in its ending after all...

CURSES!

9. clerk

clerk Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 2, 1998
    I don't think ROTS is "sloppy" because it leaves certain facts in a nebulous state. I'm pretty sure Lucas thought about this when he wrote the screenplay, and decided he wanted to leave Leia's memories ambiguous. Leia's memories of her mother are now even more mysterious than when we first heard about them, and they now show a sensitivity in her that wasn't evident before.

10. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    I realize this is REALLY splitting hairs but it's something I set out to watch for in ROTS.

In ANH when Luke refers to Kenobi as Obi Wan, Ben's response is "I haven't gone by that name since oh...before you were born."

In ROTS, FOLLOWING the birth of the twins, Padme whispers to Kenobi: "Obi Wan...there's still good in him."

So, technically he lied to Luke because he HAD gone by that name at least once that we know of after Luke was born.

Ben Kenobi - the old guy who Luke knows, who lived in humble accomodation beyond the Dune Sea - used to go by the name of Obi-Wan.
    He has not gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before Luke was born.

Keyword - "oh".
    "oh" signifies rough estimate, general idea, approximately, roughly...
    It is just an general statement, to give Luke an idea that the name is as old as Luke himself, so he won't have heard it.

"I haven't gone by the name Obi-Wan since two weeks and three days after you were born."
    People just don't talk that way.
    "I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since after I brought you here to live wi-- damn, you didn't know I brought you here."
    Yeah right - like he's going to go into detail.

Around the time Luke was born was the same time, obviously, Obi had to live in seclusion on Tatooine and change his name.
    It contradicts nothing unless you are Mr Anal Pedant of Literalsville.
    It does not need explaining at all.
    Obi goes to Tatooine and is known as Ben from thereon in.

11. Darth_Love

Darth_Love Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2001

Don't know if this lin has been brought up within this thread, but these are listed on IMDB's "goofs" for the film:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0121766/goofs

12. Jedi_Master_Geo

Jedi_Master_Geo Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2004
    i dont really think this was a mistake. i think they called him master because he was a superior and higher ranked so out of respect they called him master. just like we call our teacher mr instead of their first names

13. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    But it's bluescreen or greenscreen, right?

14. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I agree, It wasn't a mistake. The younglings says "Master" for respect. Good call Jedi_Master_Geo!

15. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    in TPM in the scroll its also said two Jedi Knights are sent to Naboo...

i think though Padawan, Knight and Master are definitve ranks;

the word Jedi Knight is usually used to describe most Knights/Masters from a 3rd person point of view .... while Master Jedi (not Jedi Master)is used by most people when talking to a Jedi Knight or a Jedi Master as form of respect

Palpatine called OB1 and Anakin Jedi Knights when he said to Mace at the start of ROTS "thanks for yr two jedi knights..."

16. Hapi-Wan

Hapi-Wan Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    darthsith19 posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Three mistakes:
    1. "I havn't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since oh before you were born." In ROTS Obi is refered to as Obi aafter Luke is born.
    2. The opening scroll says the battle is lead by 2 Jedi Knights but it is really lead by 1 Jedi Knight - Obi-Wan's a Master, not a Knight.
    3. When Anakin first arrives on Mufstar to kill the Separatists he pulls up his hood and he is wearing no black glove.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding number 3, not only was he not wearing the black glove, he had two fully functioning, intact hands.

17. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    whoah, i never noticed that! :eek:

18. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    The hand thing is awfully tiny in the frame, I thought for a while it may be the redness reflecting off the glove. It really is hard for me to believe that Hayden would have forgotten the glove when he wore it in all other scenes.
    The Obi-Wan name thing has already been explained and is quite simple.

19. frozenobiwan

frozenobiwan Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2004
    When obi and anakin are fighting on the table, it is clear obiwan is holding anakins lightsaber, but there is never anything shown where they switch sabers, sorry if this was already posted

20. Clone_Comander

Clone_Comander Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    in ROTJ luke askes his sister if she remembers her mother... she says only memories and that she died when she was very young. and she rememberd that she was beautiful yet sad. though in ROTS padme dies right after giving birth?

21. JKboi27

JKboi27 Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    well if you REALLY think about it the conversation with Luke and Leia on Endor was... Luke: "do you remember your mother? your REAL mother?" Leia: "not really, she died when I was very young" Luke: "what do you remember?" Leia: "just... images really, feelings." (and so on). so that gives me the idea that she knew she was adopted, just that she didn't know who her real parents were

22. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 2004

Well, you have got to remember that C3PO was a gray hunk of junk when Owen last saw him and then upteen years later here comes this robot that's gold. He would not think of it as the same, even if it talked that way.

23. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Nothing went rong everything was perfect

24. Jedi__Val

Jedi__Val Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2005
    Sorry if I missed this...

When Anakin strides into the room on Mustafar, there are what look like medieval knights in armor flanking the doorway he enters. He waves the doors shut, and the wide shot shows regular battle droids by the doorway. Since Anakin hasn't moved, it should be the same doorway.

Any one else notice?

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    It was Sidious. Pretty much everything mysterious that happened in the movie,that eventually lead to a downfall, Sidious was responsible for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.