main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Mistakes in Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Plagueis, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loseyourname

loseyourname Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Just to note again, the battle took place in the upper reaches of the Coruscant atmosphere. The air pressure outside was very low, but there was still air. Otherwise, Grievous would have died.

2. Ferand_Boz

Ferand_Boz Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    That seems a little hopeful.

Theyre in space.

3. Freud

Freud Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2001
    Leia says she remembers images of her mother in order to imply that she is Force sensitive. But it raises the question as to why Luke doesn't remember. Perhaps, being so far away from the civilized world in which his mother and his sister lived in, he shared no connection.

Actually, I think I know how they did this. When the babies are presented to Padme, the eyes of Leia are wide open and are looking at her mother, Padme. The eyes of Luke however, when presented, are closed. So, Leia looks at her mother, and being force sensitive, can actually see/remember it all. Luke however, is asleep.

4. thegreenguy

thegreenguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    This has been bugging me for a while, and I haven't seen ANYONE on these boards mention anything about it. I saw two different reels of Episode III and BOTH had the same mistake. In the scene on the landing platform on Mustafar, I'm pretty sure Anakin's line is "What things!?", but for some reason his mouth is totally out of synch! What the hell? What happend there? There might have been another instance of this, I'm not sure. Did anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

5. Elenmiri

Elenmiri Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2005
    This isn't quite a blooper, but did anyone else notice that during the first council session, during the wide shot, Obi-Wan has his legs uncrossed, then during Mace and Yoda's lines he has his legs crossed, then when they start to talk about Grievous, his legs are uncrossed again. I realise that he may have moved (twice) while hes off screen, but somehow I don't think Jedi masters are meant to fidget.

Also, with his cloak on Tattooine, it is definatelt his AotC cloak. It has tucks in the shoulders and is darker than his RotS one. Again, not really a blooper, but an inconsistancy.

6. Nur_Ab_Sal

Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2004
    1 Dooku fight too short
    2 Film time wasted on redundant R2 gags
    3 Jedi Temple massacre is absent. GL should add 5-6 minutes of Anakin killing Jedi and throwing statues on them like in ROTS video game - if he had time on R2 gags...
    4 Where is Jedi Bene? Shouldn't daughter of MacCallum
    have at least one minute of her own footage?
    5 Starship Fuel sequence cut
    6 Why there's no Shaak Ti death scene in Temple?
    7 Where are death scenes of Luminara, Barriss Offee and Quinlan?
    8 Where is Nos monster? I was waiting soo long to see it.
    9 Why all scenes depicting beginning of Rebel Alliance were cut? That was a giant spin off between EIII-EIV
    10 Where is Mon Mothma? She is as important as Padme
    11 Mace - Palps fight should be longer
    12 Where is Chewbacca-Yoda action in AT-ST?
    13 Mustafar massacre was cut and makes no sense. We don't see how Vader kills Shu Mai and Wat Tambor.Where are all those dialogs between Vader and Separatists.
    14 Yoda lands on Dagobah (can't actually believe that they cut so important scene)

This film is INCOMPLETE so half of his greatness is gone.

7. Jedi-Mark-UK

Jedi-Mark-UK Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    How about the Tantive IV

Would Antilles STILL be a Captain 20 years later in ANH
    Would Bail STILL own the ship 20 years later?

And what about the scene with Vader and the Emporor and Tarkin looking at the construction of Death Star Mk1
    Where did all the clones go? And where did the grey uniforms come from?
    Or was the scene a little leap forward in time?
    Curious!!

8. smajakal

smajakal Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    about the physics question i was thinking the same thing, but if u say that you got to take into account that they blew a hole in the ship and that were able to contiue flying in space and into the planet without dieing. And even more physics wise if starwars was truly based on solid physics there would never be any sound of explosion in space cause you cant have sound in space. so i figure we leave the physics out of it and just enjoy the movie in all its wonder.

did anyone else think that this was the best of all six movies?

9. smajakal

smajakal Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Ok i got another question. i have the new boxset of the original 3 movies and in the end of rotj the yoda obi and darth are all standing while luke looks at them, but it looks like they have edited the original darth out. before the box set i think it was an older man now it looks exactly like darth form rots. anyone else see this or am i craz?

10. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    The battle was not in space but the upper atmosphere of Coruscant. ;)

Anyhoo...let's get on with it.

1) After GG smashes a hole in the window, Anakin and Obi are nearly sucked out but Palpatine ducks behind a chair...

2) Then,after all the suction, Anakin and Obi sit at the controls and not piece of hair on their heads move from the continued 'windy suction'...

3) Then, none of the fire enters the bridge, even though there is a gaping hole in the window...

4) Ki-Adi-Mundi was a Jedi KNIGHT on the Council in TPM - Anakin and Ki seem to forget that when Anakin whinges about there never being a Knight on the Council...

5) Sidious touches Anakin's head after he gets burnt but Anakin's skin doesn't stick to Palpatine's hand as burnt skin would...

11. CORRELIA-FOREVER

CORRELIA-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    Continuity problem in the OT-PT

When the helmet lowers, Anakin still has his chin

When Luke removes Vader's helmet in ROTJ: no chin, gone.

This bothers me...

12. Sith78

Sith78 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Well... back after two years council-abstinence. I haven´t read anything about the movie before watching it, so I have been totally unaware, except the "must know things".

The movie was great, the best part of the prequels and almost a perfect bridging to the old trilogie. Directly after the movie I thought that the whole Obi Wan story does not work:

I thought that Obi Wan doesn't really remember Leia in ESB... but after watching ESB and ROTJ again on DVD there is absolutely no doubt that he remembers Leia (especially in ROTJ when he tells Luke about his twin sister, what sounds kind of this "Yoda knew, as well as I knew, that you must be seperated",).

A small mistake can be found in the first OB1-Luke dialouge in ANH when Obi says "Obi Wan, I do not live with this name since, before your birth". Well kind of truth but not really perfect... Also in this dialouge, Obi Wan says that he can´t remember owning a droid. But what about R4?

Those are the mistakes I thought about, even though they didn`t really disturb me.

Well I didn´t like swearing droids too but we live with emotional droids since we know R2 and 3PO :)

The lava-lightsaber-duel was fascinating, although it would be physically impossible to float 5,6 feet above a lava stream, because of the enormous temperature. But that is the starwars physics we should not really care about.

At last, sorry me for the mistakes I made, I´m german.

13. Sculdheizo

Sculdheizo Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Newbie posting here. ;)

Couple things:

The whole landing GG ship with the window out - the movie clearly shows a blast sheild cover the missing window, and then you can see it when they actually land as well, off to the left (the character's right), I believe.

And as far as physics in space, forget it, this is not a hard science fiction show - people would get bored to realize you can't see a laser blast that isn't a constant stream, or hear the ships and lasers flying by, or even ships blowing with minimal fire and just starting to float away. Not Hollywood. Forget realism, in any mainstream science fiction movie. ;)

Think about it, a planet of lava, where's the oxygen come from? I would think that the atmosphere there would be a combination of sulfurs and maybe ammonias, not oxygen. But it looks cool, and Vader gets to get all burnt up there, so it works in Hollywood. Forget physics when watching any Hollywood blockbuster. Suspend the disbelief and enjoy. ;)

Re: Droid recognition...

Owen would not immediately recognize 3P0 - there are hundreds of them walking around. If 3P0 didn't say nothing to him, why would he even make the connection that it might be the same droids? Someone said as soon as Obi-Wan is mentioned, he says to erase their memories, which makes perfect sense that he then recognizes that they might be the same droids.

And the way R2 starts "panicking" when Owen is not going to buy him makes one think that R2 recognizes where he is at and who he sees, and therefore wants to be purchased, and not left with the Jawas.

Ol' Ben clearly does remember R2 as well in Ep4. The way he looks at R2 and thinks before he speaks anything to Luke says to me that he's being careful about how much he gives away to Luke. He almost acts as if "what are the odds this droid is sent here by Leia to find me" and "I'm supposed to be in hiding, how dare Bail try to contact me here". MHO, of course.

As far as Yoda and R2 in Ep5, just watched that again after seeing Ep3, and it almost seems to me like R2 is laughing at Yoda acting all stupid (testing Luke's patience).

Re: The Obi-Wan and Yoda knowing about the Empire before the Senate (or at the same time) - the Jedi Counsel long suspected that the Chancellor was up to just such things... that was the whole reason Mace wanted to let the Chancellor know that Grevious has been killed - to see if he was going to relinquish control to the Senate or not. Seeing the Chancellor talk about Empires could only mean one thing to them - he had done as they feared and named himself Emperor, whether publically at that point or not.

I think everyone else has brought up some good points as well.

And the comment I wanted to make was to watch Clone Wars if you haven't already - explains a few other things as well. Grevious does hold light sabers around his waist, as well as in the coat. And it also explains his weezing. ;)

Cool movie though - entirely. Aside a few plot holes (all of which can be explained via EU or one's own imagination), I'm sold and look forward to the new series. :)

Sculdheizo

14. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    When Anakin is lying flat on the slab being transformed into Vader, how did the droids put on his black cape?

15. xxstefanx

xxstefanx Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2005
    ppal posted on 5/22/05 6:34pm
    "Why do so many people hate the EU so much"

"Mostly because they have gross misconceptions (i.e. "teh EU brought back maul!!11!"). "

This is generalizing!(Typical fanboy-behaviour!)
    There are brillant books, good ones and really crappy ones! Thats all!

16. ZULOX

ZULOX Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    This is regarding a hole in the plot I noticed after watching ep.4,5,&6 after seeing ROTS. In ep6 ROTJ, when on the Ewok planet Endor, Luke and Leia have a conversation. Luke asks Leia if he remembers her real mother. She said she remmebered very little, "just images" i think were her words. She said she remembered her being very sad. How can she remember this if Padme died giving birth to them?

17. DarthDan10855863

DarthDan10855863 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    I thought that at the start of the Obi-Wan/Grievous duel, Grievous's upper right arm has a blue lightsaber, then the screen goes to Obi-Wan, then when it's back to Greivous, who's about to start his swirly thing with his two upper arms, his top right is holding a green lightsaber. However, I think it's just the angle of his arms that changed and he's holding the same sabers in the same positions.

18. Taffin

Taffin Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    Leave your nerdy real science out of my Star Wars! Almost every single cool thing in SW flies in the face of real science and I don't care. It's fantasy, not hardcore sci-fi. I watch Star Wars for entertainment, not for penetrating insights about how things really blow up in space and how gravity works. Fortuantely, I skim over posts concerning this sort of stuff before they can frustrate me. BTW, I can assure you GL cares less even about SW being scientifically accurate than I do.

/rant

The rememberance Anakin has of his convo with Palpatine while Mace goes to arrest him: "If the jedi kill me, blablabla"
    This dialogue wasnt shown. I can see how Anakin things along these lines, but Palpatine never actually said it, so I think it is cut dialogue being used here.

Actually, this is Anakin's memory of a line Palpatine says after we leave that scene. It's not an error, it's a line that's intentionally left for Anakin to remember (rather than fo rus to see spoken in the previus scene), so as to build tension while he mulls over everything Palpatine has said.

The security recordings Obi-Wan watches also show a scene not portraited in the movie. Palpatine's offer to Lord Vader to goto Mustafar is different in dialogue.

That's obviously a different meeting between Palpatine and Anakin. He's congratulting him on wiping out the Jedi Temple ("You have done well, Lord Vader."), so it takes place after the post-Windu killing conversation I assume you are referring to.

Indeed the script mentions "Pregnant she must still appear," but since it's not in the final film, I just assumed Padme's corpse still had a swollen belly, like women do after a pregnancy. It bothers me in movies/TV when a woman gives birth and has no belly at all in the next shot. I'm sure every woman nd every pregancy is different, but to my knowlege, you retain the belly for some time (even if you didn't put on a bunch of weight anywhere else).

19. Si_Snootles

Si_Snootles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Its all good fun!

When Padme lands on Mustafar, she looks straight ahead out the cockpit and sees Anakin coming out of the control centre. But when she runs out to meet him, its the rear of the ship that faces the control centre (ie the ramp).

So Grevious has lungs and a cough, but they don't implode in Space!?

The crashing spaceship is strong enough to hold together on impact, but the hull can be buckled by the weight of Grevious?

The Security camera showed different dialogue to what had been said previously.

Why didn't mace just view the security tapes to see what Palpatine had been up to?

No unbilical cords in the star wars universe?

No untrasound scans in pre natal care?

For ROTS Vader is incased in the ESB suit, not the ANH one.

How can you land a thousand tonne half a space ship, with no engines, or wings???

And for good measure.....

Is the name "Skywalker" the starwars equivelent of "Smith"? Because vader doesn't click at the beginning of ESB.

In ANH, When Luke looks over the rim of the Lars homestead, there are two bushes by his feet. In the long shot, they are gone.

In ANH, when R2 is picked, "What about that blue one?" it flicks to a shot of R2, and R5 is next to him. Yet in the long shot, R5 is 30 feet out of line smoking away next to the Jawas.

In ROTJ, when Palps says "Ah, the weapon of a Jedi knight". Doesn't it seem strange? He himself had a lightsaber, but was never a Jedi.

Oh, and by the way. Where exactly do the Jedi think Anakins sleeps? He's obviously with his wife. So does he sneek back to the Jedi Inn Hotel every night and ruffle his bed linen to look like he's slept there?

20. Kained-but-Able

Kained-but-Able Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2004
    The rememberance Anakin has of his convo with Palpatine while Mace goes to arrest him: "If the jedi kill me, blablabla"
    This dialogue wasnt shown. I can see how Anakin things along these lines, but Palpatine never actually said it, so I think it is cut dialogue being used here.

Actually, this is Anakin's memory of a line Palpatine says after we leave that scene. It's not an error, it's a line that's intentionally left for Anakin to remember (rather than fo rus to see spoken in the previus scene), so as to build tension while he mulls over everything Palpatine has said.

Did anyone else think Palpatine was talking to Anakin through the force here? That's my opinion. Like Luke calling leia for help at the end of ESB.

21. ImperialBA

ImperialBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2004
    You want mistakes? Direct from movie-mistakes.com comes these little gems

When Padmé just has landed on the volcanic planet and is about to get off the ship, she is wearing a green/grey costume and no trousers. When she arrives at the platform she wears the same costume but also a grey pair of trousers. Submitted by Andreas Winnberg

After Obi-Wan gets off that rainbow coloured creature he was riding, he reaches to pet him. His hand actually never touches the creature. Submitted by sdgirl98

Just before the lightsaber battle between Mace Windu and Darth Sidious, the lightsaber of Sidious is ejected from his sleeve and he grabs it (close up shot). In the next shot (wide shot) Sidious is holding the lightsaber differently. Submitted by Christoph Galuschka

As Mace Windu and Palpatine battle each other with lightsabers, an errant saber strike shatters the huge picture window of the high-rise complex they are in. A huge amount of wind is then seen to be blowing everything around (not rapid decompression, as the building's close enough to ground level not to be pressurised). However, in the very next shot, there is absolutely no wind, or in any shot thereafter.

When Mace Windu and Palpatine are fighting, Mace knocks Palpatine's lightsaber out of his hand and it goes flying out the window where the glass used to be. However, Palpatine has it later when he fights Yoda.

When Samuel L. Jackson says "I don't think the boy can handle it, I don't trust him" his lips don't match his dialogue when he says "I don't trust him".

When Mace Windu and Palpatine are in his office after the lightsaber battle, Windu is standing directly over Palpatine with his lightsaber pointing to his throat. Anakin walks in, and Windu steps forward and stands over Palpatine again.

22. Obi-Ish_Kenobi_2005

Obi-Ish_Kenobi_2005 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2002
    Was it me or during the opening battle when Obi-wan says "R2, hit the buzz droid centre eye !" His mouth doesn't actually seem to be articulating those words !

23. ImperialBA

ImperialBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2004
    1 Dooku fight too short- very true. After Palpatine warns OB1 that Dooku is a Sith Lord and this is what we get?

2 Film time wasted on redundant R2 gags considering how dark this film was, it need to get all the funny light-hearted stuff out of the way in the beginning. This movie needed some laughs, can't be all doom and gloom.. even ESB had it's funny moments... and all at the beginning.. catch my drift?

3 Jedi Temple massacre is absent. GL should add 5-6 minutes of Anakin killing Jedi and throwing statues on them like in ROTS video game - if he had time on R2 gags... and watch your PG-13 rating go out the window.

4 Where is Jedi Bene? Shouldn't daughter of MacCallum
    have at least one minute of her own footage?
    Why? She had her ten seconds of fame in the fight with Nick and Vader. A minute is a long time movie wise. She doesn't deserve it.

5 Starship Fuel sequence cut Would we have missed it?

6 Why there's no Shaak Ti death scene in Temple? A death scene for a character that barely got 10 seconds of screen time in the ENTIRE PT. Isn't it enough that she got all of screentime in the Clone Wars mini-series?

7 Where are death scenes of Luminara, Barriss Offee and Quinlan? Do we need to show the deaths of every single jedi? Let's see... 3,000 jedi or so remaining.. lets show every single one of them dying.. kinda like Schindler's List.. except longer...

8 Where is Nos monster? I was waiting soo long to see it. Another one bites the dust.

9 Why all scenes depicting beginning of Rebel Alliance were cut? That was a giant spin off between EIII-EIV This made me really mad that they did it. By taking out the beginning of the Rebel Alliance they effectivily removed any reason for Bail to be in the movie. They could've cut him completly out and nobody would have noticed. Plus it would have made Padme's remarks to Anakin make much more sense.

10 Where is Mon Mothma? She is as important as Padme I guess that even having your own "action" figure doesn't mean that you are immune to the cutting room floor.

11 Mace - Palps fight should be longer I dunno.. I thought it was long enough. I just wish that Anakin had gotten in there sooner and watched it all.

12 Where is Chewbacca-Yoda action in AT-ST? Just because it was in the book doesn't guarantee that you will see it the movie.

13 Mustafar massacre was cut and makes no sense. We don't see how Vader kills Shu Mai and Wat Tambor.Where are all those dialogs between Vader and Separatists. I wish that they did show more of that massacre. C'mon it's freakin Nute Gunray.. he's had a kill Padme hard on since TPM.. I figure that Vader would've made him suffer longer. I'm glad that they cut out all the dialogue, if they even put in before, it jsut didn't make sense for Vader to be makin wise cracks as he is killing them all. You didn't see Vader making wisecracks during hte temple massacre or during his duel with OB1.

14 Yoda lands on Dagobah (can't actually believe that they cut so important scene) It's not an important scene! We all know that he goes to Dagaboh, why does seeing him land there make our lives complete?

Face facts, the book is always going to have more stuff than the movie. If you read the book first and then watched the movie you are going to be very disappointed. Just like if you read Jurassic Park and then saw the movie. It's totally different. I recommend seeing the movie first and then read the book. The book fills in on all of the empty holes and background stuff that the movie doesn't have the time to cover.

24. MBA

MBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2000
    1. How is it that Anakin, living on a remote planet and having no droid building experience, built a protocol droid that looks almost exactly like all other protocol droids? Is there an Extreme Makeover Protocol Droid Building Kit I don't know about?

2. Not so much about remembering droids, but why wipe C3PO and not R2D2's memory?

3. I can't remember from ANH/ESB, how did Vader learn that boy coming after him is named Luke Skywalker, or did he just assume it was his son? (In ESB, Lando mentions to Solo/Leia that Vader is "after somebody named Skywalker")

25. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Would Bail STILL own the ship 20 years later?

--

That's a bit daft that, I've been in the same job for 21 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.