main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Mistakes in Episode III

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Plagueis, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialBA

ImperialBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2004
    1. How is it that Anakin, living on a remote planet and having no droid building experience, built a protocol droid that looks almost exactly like all other protocol droids? Is there an Extreme Makeover Protocol Droid Building Kit I don't know about?

You just answered your own question. Where did he get all of the parts to build 3PO? The junkyard. A junkyard filled with various bits and pieces of protocol droids. This just proves how popular and common that model is, if a boy in some backwater can build one from spare parts.

2. Not so much about remembering droids, but why wipe C3PO and not R2D2's memory? A) R2 doesn't blather or gossip. C-3PO can't keep his mouth shut. B) Nobody except for other droids can understand R2. So he can tell a human everything and they won't understand a single word he says. R2 is like a dog that way.

3. I can't remember from ANH/ESB, how did Vader learn that boy coming after him is named Luke Skywalker, or did he just assume it was his son? (In ESB, Lando mentions to Solo/Leia that Vader is "after somebody named Skywalker")

You really need to go back and rewatch ESB. What does Vader say to Ozzel when he finds the shield generators? What does the Emperor say to Vader in the asteroid field? Everyone knows that Luke Skywalker is a hero of the Rebellion. and that he hangs out with Leia and Han Solo.. so if you capture both of them... c'mon... think about it

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    would you listen to yourselves??? i am wondering how you enjoyed the movie if you are sitting there picking it apart. while i admit to momentary disappointments at mistakes or lack of admissions after reading the book i certainly didnt see a reason to focus on all the mistakes. shame on all of you. shame. all was made right when the emperor, lying on his back with a purple blade aimed at his face, hissed "nooooooo, noooooooo..." was not that the best thing or what?

3. MBA

MBA Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 22, 2000
    Thx, I haven't watched ANH/ESB in a while.

I enjoyed ROTS though!

4. Walkersky

Walkersky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    Not read whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned -- only niggly thing I noticed was in the elevator at the start Obi and Ani cut down several droids but there is no indication of droid wreckage on the floor of the lift. That's it, as if that matters.

On the whole, great film, best prequel, I'm a whiny ******* and I should have had more faith.

Hmm, humble pie... ;)

those of you who haven't seen it yet, boy you got a treat coming :D

5. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    would you listen to yourselves??? i am wondering how you enjoyed the movie if you are sitting there picking it apart.

I was gonna mention that too, but I feared for my life...

all was made right when the emperor, lying on his back with a purple blade aimed at his face, hissed "nooooooo, noooooooo..." was not that the best thing or what?

It truely was...a great scene!

6. ImperialBA

Jul 20, 2004
    would you listen to yourselves??? i am wondering how you enjoyed the movie if you are sitting there picking it apart.

well, because the first time you see the movie, you just enjoy it and the second and third time is when you go back and pick it apart.. it's more fun that way.... ;P

I don't know about you, but I like finding all the little mistakes.. it shows that you were actually watching the movie scene by scene and frame by frame...

I guess that you won't be going to movie-mistakes.com anytime soon will ya? ;)

I kid, I kid!

7. crabdangler

crabdangler Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    whether it was a mistake or not, i dont know. i loved the movie. my question is what happened to luminara unduli, Shaak ti, and barriss offee/ i think i saw luminara very briefly on a boat in kashyyyk, but that was about it. when the jedi were getting mowed down i didnt see any of them. are we to presume they got sucker-punched like the rest of the order or did they in fact escape? i realize Shaak ti was beaten and bound in the clone wars season 2, but she was still alive when windu found her, and besides, those events happened before ROTS. im confused. did anyone else notice this blatant oversight? again, i thought the film delivered, but i have a problem with this....

8. JediManning

JediManning Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005

He was gold by the time they bought him 22 yrs after AOTC, and lots of protocol droids look like 3PO, maybe they would have figured it out, had they not been killed the next day.

Also, 3PO never mentions his name to Owen when they purchase him. So, it might have never dawned on Owen that 3PO was on the moisture farm 25 years ago. Luke doesn't even find out their names until his cleaning them up and he's off the next day to find R2. By the time Luke gets back, Owen and Beru are dead.

9. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    nope you wont see me at moviemistakes.com. reading this thread made me wish for the whiny anakin scenes because they were easier to take.

i find that if i spend my time looking for mistakes in a movie i miss the movie. at first i was drawn to this thread to see what i had missed then i realixed that there was lots of whining going on. you guys began sounding like my 11th graders on friday when homework is imminent. (shudder)

10. Jedi-Mark-UK

Jedi-Mark-UK Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Ok..........point taken that you have had same job for 21 years..............but do you own the same car??

Why is Captain Antilles STILL a Captain then? Surely he would be a General or Colonel or Major or even retired by the time ANH comes round. And where did the grey uniforms come from suddnely, when every other ship has clones??

11. differentname

differentname Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    No one's answered the only post on here to really bug me-- why in 20 years of wreaking havoc on the galaxy does Vader never go back to Tattoine? He knows his only family is there. He professed to want to free the slaves in Ep. 1. At the least, with all his anger, you'd think he'd of gone back and wiped out the slave-owners. Even if he wasn't specifically looking for a child he didn't know was hidden there...

I agree with most of these replies that there are logical explanations for many gaps, but I'm struggling with this one.

12. Dinoforce

Dinoforce Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    I'm not sure if I saw this part correctly, but I think there was a continuity error when Obi-Wan throws the blaster down and says "So uncivilized". When he was pulling himself up, I thought that he already was not holding the blaster and then all of the sudden he is holding it again and throwing it down saying that line. (If you see it today, let me know if I saw it correctly. I'll probably see it again for the third time soon.)

I really loved the movie and don't have any complaints. I just wished for a longer movie where we can see more interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan when they were friends, more time between when Mace died and Anakin pledged himself to Sidious. Why so sudden? I guess Anakin never 'thinks' and just acts impulsively all the time.

13. Taffin

Taffin Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    RedHanded_Jill, I don't think anyone here's really trashing the movie. They're just pointing out minor inconsistencies or things they wish had been changed/added. People are saying "I wish Shaak Ti was in the movie" not "The movie sucked!" I loved ROTS and am debating with myself if it's the best SW movie ever, but there's still a few minor problems I hope get fixed for the DVD (Vader's "nooo" for example). That's what this thread is bout.

P.S. I also noticed Palpatine was holding his saber differently after he draws it, but only because I think that's pretty much the tightest saber draw in the saga- Taxi Driver style!

14. Dinoforce

May 21, 2002
    Differentname: I may be wrong but I think Yoda and Obi-Wan felt that Anakin would not return to Tatooine because of all his terrible memories there. Also, I don't think he considers Clieg Lars, Owen and Beru his family. Why should he? They are only related by the marriage of his mother.

Anakin may also be very busy overseeing the building of the Death Star and trying to keep star systems in line by deploying troops, etc. I'm sure Palpatine keeps him busy.

And if you were wearing a black body armor, how willing would you be to go to a two-suns planet for no particular reason and the sand may get clogged in his breathing apparatus, his mask, etc. Not good.

15. ImperialBA

Jul 20, 2004
    No one's answered the only post on here to really bug me-- why in 20 years of wreaking havoc on the galaxy does Vader never go back to Tattoine? He knows his only family is there. He professed to want to free the slaves in Ep. 1. At the least, with all his anger, you'd think he'd of gone back and wiped out the slave-owners. Even if he wasn't specifically looking for a child he didn't know was hidden there...

Yeah, that was over 20 years ago and when he was a slave. Times change, people grow older and memories fade. What is his big concern throughout AOTC and ROTS? Padme. Not freeing the slaves. If he constantly talked about freeing the slaves in AOTC and ROTS, you would have a point. But he doesn't.

Vader has no need to go back. He has forgotten all about freeing the slaves. Shimi Skywalker was his family. She's dead and so he has no reason to go back to see the Lars, who were his step family and he obviously wasn't close to them, so he doesn't give a plumb nickel about them.

I assume that when you were 6 years old that you said a long of things that you haven't done or have forgotten about.

16. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    At the opera scene, there's a wide shot from behind the characters' backs as they speak to each other, but the "dark side" of their faces are lit. No biggie.

The only thing I really didn't like was when Anakin told Mace "I think he's a Sith Lord." Those two words "I think" make little sense, because he later says he is absolutely certain, and we already know fdrom the previous scene that he is absolutely certain. But like I said, only two words.

17. ImperialBA

Jul 20, 2004
    Ok..........point taken that you have had same job for 21 years..............but do you own the same car??

Why is Captain Antilles STILL a Captain then? Surely he would be a General or Colonel or Major or even retired by the time ANH comes round. And where did the grey uniforms come from suddnely, when every other ship has clones??

Actually, I may not have the same job for 21 years, however my father still owns the same car that he bought in 1978. Right now he is restoring it. But it does happen.

Why is Captain Anitlles STILL a captain? Lots of reasons. I'm in the military so I know a thing or two about promotions.

First, they just don't hand out promotions. Just because you have 20 years of service doesn't automatically make you a general, or major.

In our military you have to test for it, and they have to have slots open for it and the higher in rank you go, the tougher the tests and the smaller the slots they have avaibile. For example, last year only about 68 SMSgt were promoted to CMSgt. That is out of about 3 or 4,000 that tested. Only 68. That was a pretty tough thing to accomplish and an officer has it even harder. Generals can only be promoted by the Senate and Congress.

Since Alderaan doesn't have a military pre se, that just means that they don't need to have a lot of majors/generals running around. So the promotion isn't there or maybe the money to pay for it, or maybe he just wanted to stay a captain. Or maybe he was promoted and just likes being called captain. Solo was refered to as a captain, but he never held the rank. Maybe Antilles is the same way?

18. Gran-Puff_Twinkie

Gran-Puff_Twinkie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    "When Anakin gets out of the fighter on Mustafar he pulls his hood up. His right hand dosn't have the glove on it.

Also, In ESB, Obi-Wan dosn't seem to know that Leia is Luke's sister yet he had seen her be born.

"That Boy was our last chance."

How can you forget about Leia so easily? "

It is not that he forgets the sister... Obi just doesn't understand the force is with here, while Yoda does.

19. darthmini

darthmini Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005

As far as the EU goes, DEL REY publishers said at C3 that Lucasfilm sees EU stories as "ONE PERSON?S VERSION" of a story...and if you don?t like it or agree with it, that is fine because it is only ONE PERSONS VERSION of the story...this fact does not invalidate the EU, but in fact makes it stronger. One funny thing is that Lucas himself went against his "CANNON" rule when he had Labyrinth of Evil written as a "Cannon" prequel book as well as saying the Clone Wars cartoons are Cannon as well. All in all, EU or movies, they are all only a part of the story. If anyone thinks that EP 3 was "PERFECT" and answered all questions and was edited properly and fulfilled all of our needs and wants I would say that is impossible, and thus the EU is born...to give closure to those of us who want more than 2 hours and 20 minutes of a ok movie that left a lot of questions unanswered. Lets hope Lucas does not ruin the TV show too?

20. Vaders_Yarmulke

Vaders_Yarmulke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I don't know if this is really an inconsistency or maybe I just didn't quite get the meaning, but...

Early in the movie, Anakin consults Yoda about his nightmares and his fear of loss. Yoda instructs him to let go of that which he fears to lose and that death is a natural part of life which should not belabor or distract you.

Then, when he is discussing exile instructions with Obi-wan at the end of the movie, he talks about learning the path to immortality through Qui-Gon's teachings.

I can only rationalize that Yoda would not be following his own prior advice because of the current circumstances, but the way that scene was handled (the dialog) it just didn't sit right with me.

There were a number of other issues mentioned here and some that I noticed as well while watching the film, but I have concluded that, after watching it two more times since the midnight showing that Lucas has done something kinda of weird. He has overexplained certain things that didn't need to be, and he has allowed other things to go unexplained - which we are to fill in the holes. Most of the holes he left in for us to fill have to do with lies told by Sidous to Anakin and Obi-wan to Luke. I don't see these as problems because their intentions are clear. Meanwhile, other issues were just way too elaborate and could have been chopped down, but I won't go into them because they are just my interpretation of story telling.

21. ckhan1206

ckhan1206 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    Between his talk with Ani and his discussion with Obi, Yoda learns that he was wrong about a few things. Just before he talks with Obi, at the end of the film, Yoda is seen with his eyes closed on the bridge of the Tantive IV. According to the novel, it is here that he is conversing with Qui Gon, discussing the possibility of immortality.

22. Dinoforce

May 21, 2002
    It is ironic isn't it that the gift of immortality which is what Anakin sought from the Sith is really not a Sith power at all, but a Jedi one. In the book, it is much more clearly explained.

23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Obi-Wan refers to Palps as the Emperor before he should have.

24. JASTER_MEREEL1

JASTER_MEREEL1 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Did anyone else notice that when obi wan is trapped under the walkway and anakin walks over to him obi wans lightsabre on the floor is his episode 1 and 2 one.

25. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    "Why is Captain Antilles STILL a Captain then? Surely he would be a General or Colonel or Major or even retired by the time ANH comes round. And where did the grey uniforms come from suddnely, when every other ship has clones"

Uh because he is the captain of the ship and not really a captain, in accordance to rank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.