main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Movie Review: Daredevil

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by P2Gambit, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P2Gambit

P2Gambit Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 21, 2002
    Daredevil
    Starring: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner, Colin Farrell, Michael Clarke Duncan, Jon Favreau, Scott Terra
    Directed By: Mark Steven Johnson
    Summary: Ben Affleck plays Matt Murdock, who as a boy was left blind after being hit by a radioactive isotope. Although his eyes no longer function, Murdock's other senses become superhuman, especially a secret, radar-like ability he develops. Years later in New York, Murdock works as an attorney by day and a crime-fighting vigilante by night, using his special skills to become the city's trusty superhero, Daredevil, battling his archnemesis, the mob boss Kingpin (Michael Clarke Duncan), and the dangerous Bullseye (Colin Farrell). Murdock then falls for a mysterious woman (Jennifer Garner), but little does he know; by night she is Elektra, a scythe-wielding woman out to kill Daredevil.

Gambit?s Review: You know what? **** critics. They are pasty, fat, old, white men that love movies that are all about extremely boring love stories, or movies that not a single person has heard of or seen. They constantly give good films, bad reviews simply because they are not award winning material. Daredevil is not an award winner, Daredevil is far from an award winner, but the movie freaking rocks. The fight scenes are not over done, they are a perfect length, though some will disagree, and very well planned. Ben Affleck gets a perfect score from me, no one could have played Daredevil better. In fact, the entire cast was beyond perfection. Garner, Farrell, and Duncan were superb. Farrell was the best villain I have seen in years. He owns anyone and everyone!
    (Not fighting wise) I am hoping for a sequel, but that will probably depend on the money brought it from this film, so go see it.

By the way, stay through the credits. ;)

10/10

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    gotta see it. :)

3. aero-

aero- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2002
    i think i will have to disagree with gambit on this one, for several reasons:

the plot
    the plot was too thin. compare daredevil to past great comic-based films, such as batman (michael keaton, tim burton-directed). daredevil started extremely late and ended extremely quickly. the movie had no substance, and its characters had absolutely no personality, save colin farrell. and even then, bullseye had some of the crappiest dialogue written. "i never miss!" was perhaps the most predicted line in the script. elektra falls in love with matt murdock after, what, two days? does that ever really happen? and michael clarke duncan as the kingpin was absolutely the worst character cast. the fight scenes were too flaky. throughout the whole movie it was obvious where lines were used to carry the actors during action scenes.

the actors
    first off, it's obvious jennifer garner is primarily a TV actress. she had none of that 'ninja whamma jamma' that michelle yeoh or even ziyi zhang had in 'crouching tiger hidden dragon'. ben affleck isn't an action hero- he even said that himself. 'failing in this movie isn't going to make me unhirable. it's just a fun project.' i couldn't have said it any better myself. he just didn't strike me as a great comic character as hugh jackman did in x-men or even cesar romero as joker in the 60's batman series. colin farrell did a pretty bangup job as bullseye, but i leave it to the script-writers for his really cheesy dialogue. it was obvious this movie was made for kids (hence the pg-13 rating), but i feel it could have been better written, like X-Men.

conclusion:
    wait for this one to come out on dvd, if you're even going to buy it. this is purely rental satisfaction. it was obvious this movie was made to quench our thirst for better comic movies in between x-men films. my advice? wait for the hulk and x2 to come out, and if you're feeling pretty saucy, go see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. it proves to be quite the action film.

this movie has plenty of goofs and plenty of "yeah rights" all through it, but all-in-all the special effects aren't that bad. a cameo by kevin smith made it all worth watching, and in my humble opinion, if they would have used kevin smith's script instead of the corporate crap they pulled, this movie would have been worth watching.

i give this movie 3 and a half stars out of 5.

4. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I agree with aero-.

I mean, Murdoch loses a case so then he goes out and kills the guy? That just shouts out sore loser to me.

I liked Garner's acting in Daredevil. IMO, she was the only good thing in that movie.

5. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    Yeah, you know, it's too bad that Garner CAN'T act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.