main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ohio Movie Reviews!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by donna, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donna

donna Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    Since I go to the movies all the time, I thought that we need thread with my opinions of the newest releases.

Lets start with The Order: This movie ended up not what I thought it was. I assumed it was another serial killer/thriller movie, but hey, Heath Ledger is in it so that makes it worth the $7 (movies are cheaper in Findlay). I really liked this movie because it has several twists in it, and I didnt "guess" the ending, or really what was happening. It kept me entertained the whole time, and hey, it has Heath Ledger in it!

Cabin Fever - I really wished I hadnt seen this movie. I will never get the time back that I spent watching it. And for that I am sad. The saving grace of this movie was the acting...yes.. the acting. The acting was SO BAD that I actually laughed! There was nothing scary about the movie, the script was something that should be burned. I still dont understand how Peter Jackson allowed his name to be attached to this movie as an endorsement. JUST STAY AWAY!

Cold Creek Manor - The trailer looked SO GOOD! Big house, new owners, old older wants it back... sound like the makings of a good movie? Not in this case. They waste hours building up to 10 minutes of thrill at the end... and then.. its over. Hmmm.....

Second Hand Lions - I waited until the second week this movie opened so I could see the ROTK trailer.... which I missed because I got there late. But I didnt miss a minute of this movie and for that I am glad. This is a great movie!! I laughed, I cried... (and cried a bit more). Its one of those movies where "man looks back at the summer that changed his life as a child" but it had HUMOR in it. The acting was great, as was the story. I'd actually see it again, even without the draw of seeing the ROTK trailer on the big screen.

Coming soon...Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!!

2. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Thanks donna!

Hey, have you seen or are you planning to see The Rundown? The commercials for it make it look like an entertaining movie, just wondering what our "resident movie expert" might think.

3. Rholynn

Rholynn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I want to see The Rundown so bad. It looks like a fun movie....not to mention I like the Rock!!! :)

4. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    Well, if you do see it, I'd be more than happy to hear your review.

5. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    I havent seen it yet, but a co-worker did. Both she and her husband loved it and said it was very action packed.

6. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    Today I went to see Underworld. Vampires and Werewolfs, you cant go wrong, right? Well..... maybe with this movie you can. Basically, there is a war between Vampires and Werewolfs. Why? We dont know. The werewolfs are chasing after this human (whom I spent the whole time trying to remember his name in show Felicity.) and this one vampire Celine, want to know why he is being chased. And I think they fall in love, but I'm not too sure. Maybe I'll find out if there is sequel? (they certainly left the movie as if there will be one)

The movie has a "dark" look to it that I like, and it doesnt use the typical vampire legands that you see in many movies. I'd say though, if you are interested in seeing this movie, wait until you can rent it. Maybe there will be some deleted scenes that will explain some of it... or something...

7. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow! Quentin Tarantino has done it again!

Kill Bill is about The Bride (Uma Thurman) who seeks revenge on the group of assassins who ruin her wedding day by killing the whole wedding party. The Bride somehow survives the attack and a bullet to the head and is in a coma for a couple of years... wakes up and makes a nice "to do" list of who to kill.

It?s hard to classify this movie.... the blurbs call it a samurai-style tale... but I just think its classic Tarantino. With women kicking butt!! His films are just cool and quirky. The fighting is so well-choreographed that is was just fun to watch. It was pretty brutal, heads getting chopped off, blood squirting everywhere... people get beat up in this film!!! 4 people ended up walking out during the viewing I was in.. I'm not too sure why except it was the girl shorted followed by the guy who was walking quite slowly out of the theater *snicker*

Now, as I said, this was vol. 1 so of course the movie ends and leaves you hanging....the next volume isn?t slated until Feb. of next year *sigh*

8. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm a big fan of Horror Movies, but I am sad to say that I never saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I've seen some of the sequels, but never the first. So on Friday when I went to see the remake of the original it was all new to me.

Its 1973 and a group of kids (well, not really sure if they are kids or not...) are traveling to Dallas to a rock concert. They pick up a hitchhiker who proceeds to commit suicide in their van. Instead of dumping her at the side of the road, they go into town to get some help, something that leads to their downfall.

This movie was CREEPY!!!! and I loved it! My friend and I enjoyed the fast-paced action...nothing really building up to the killing, it just starts. It was actually a bit shocking it started so fast. The acting was also good...something you don?t see often in horror flicks. My advice, go and see this at a BIG theater with great surround sound... any less and you wont get the full effect.

Now, my only complaint about this movie is that they made leatherface too superhuman. He is supposed to just be a man with a skin disorder, but how can he be so agile and run after those incredibly lean, athlete kids and catch them, WHILE RUNNING WITH A CHAINSAW? And if you figure out the point of the chainsaw, let me know!

9. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Kill Bill was great. Its soundtrack was just as good.

10. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    Glad you liked Kill Bill... I actually wouldnt mind seeing it again for I am sure I missed some detail...I can still watch Pulp Fiction and see things I never noticed before.

About the music, I agree. The music in any Tarantino film is always exceptional

11. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    I dont have much time to write a review, but I will say that Scary Movie 3 is hilarious! I am actually going to see it again tonight!

This movie spoofs several movies that have been out in the last year or so, like The Ring, 8 Mile, Signs and The Others. If you havent seen the Ring, it might not be as funny, but you can get away with not seeing the other movies.

12. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    More details! I kind of liked the first two of these movies and was interested in seeing the third (and fourth).

13. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    what details would you like? I found the movie still hilarious the second time around... its got a great plot. Aliens and crop circles, and a tape that kills you seven days after you watch it!!

14. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    How does it compare to the first two? I'd heard it was supposed to be less raunchy. Is it?

15. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    This movie really stands out a bit more against the other two I think.... it was different. Cindy is older now and since I loved the Ring this movie just cracked me up. Less raunchy... hmmm.. its hard to say really....

in other news I SAW MATRIX TONIGHT!

16. Rholynn

Rholynn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    Okay we get the point that you saw the Matrix already. :D

hehehe j/k

17. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    I saw Kill Bill 2 last week. It was really good, answered some questions but it didnt compare to the first one. I loved the fight scenes in the Kill Bill 1!

I'm hoping to see Mean Girls and Godsend soon, and of course Troy is coming up. I'm really waiting for Harry Potter 3!!!!

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

18. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    I'm going to watch Club Dread and Last Samurai over the weekend. Does that count? :D

19. donna

Mar 11, 2002
    I thought that Last Samurai comes out next tuesday??

You'll have to post your thoughts on it, I really enjoyed it and cried alot.

20. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I saw Kill Bill Volume 2 a few weeks ago, too. That movie was wicked cool. I agree that the fight scenes weren't as good as Volume 1, but Pai Mei training The Bride and Bill's superhero speech (don't spoil it for those who haven't seen it) are well worth the price of admission. Plus the dialogue throughout the whole film is way cool.

21. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    Last Samurai doesn't come out til Tuesday. The advantage of having a wife that works at a video store. :D

I thought Last Samurai was a good movie. Made me want to get out my katana and do some weeding. ;)

Also saw the screener for Club Dread. Ugh. I wanted to watch it since it was a Broken Lizard movie, but it wasn't anywhere near Super Troopers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.